SE MT Archery mule deer

ScottinPA

WKR
A buddy and I are looking at a DIY archery mule deer hunt this year. One state I've been looking at it MT, specifically the SE portion. Custer National Forest and BLM lands. Anybody have any experience/info on the area? I saw that a portion is in the CWD management area - how're the deer numbers?
I'll be calling biologists and FWP wardens but figured more info the better.

Thanks

I hunted Montana for the first time this year with a 2 good friends. It was the first time that any of us have ever hunted mule deer. We hunted near Miles City and we saw plenty of deer. We did not see any monster bucks but we saw some nice bucks everyday that we hunted. We hunted for 4 days and all of us were able to harvest decent mule deer bucks. We did see quite a few hunters, however, we rifle hunted. I am sure that there is much less pressure during archery season. My advice would be to get off roads, 80% of the hunters that we saw were just road hunting. Good Luck

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted closer to Ashland 4-5 years. If you stay close to the roads it will be tough, like it was mentioned plenty of road hunters or guys pushing the closest draw. Put the walking boots on and get away from the crowd and you should have some luck.

Jon Boy

WKR
I've done it. Custer is tough spot and stalk, lots of rolling pine hills and tall crunchy grass. I've had better luck getting into bow range on breaky BLM ground by miles city and broadus. Chaulky Mesa sage brush type stuff. Surprisingly easy to get into bow range there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
There are about a million threads on Eastern Montana and "decent" is an extremely broad term. Decent to me is 150+, but might be 120 for the next guy. So I would disagree and say that the majority of deer you see are going to be below average bucks in the Eastern part of the state on public. Hard to get too far from roads anywhere. Pressure should be quite a bit less than rifle season, but still expect company.

OP
ScottinPA

ScottinPA

WKR
Thanks guys. Yep, lots of area in east MT but I hadn't found any threads specifically in these areas, perhaps I didn't search right.
A 150"+ would be above decent for me thought it's conflicting since smaller bucks are typically hunger and I like to let'em grow when hunting at home.
Yesterday I watched a few YouTube videos showing rifle hunting in SE MT to get an idea what the land looks like. Was thinking about the crunchy grass when watching.

Thanks again.