Searching for the perfect Softshell for everyday use

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
I will start by saying I think I want a softshell but could be wrong. I live in Michigan so it is cold, but this jacket will be for going to and from the car 90% of the time. So, I do not need super warm. What I do need is wind resistance and to be able to handle light to moderate rain but for short burst. Would love something with side zips for easy access to a side arm. What do you all recommend?

Thanks

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
First lite corrugate guide jacket? I just got mine and really like it. Think I paid like 85 during the sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
I got an outdoor research one a couple years ago for less than $100. It’s been great for me

I will start by saying I think I want a softshell but could be wrong. I live in Michigan so it is cold, but this jacket will be for going to and from the car 90% of the time. So, I do not need super warm. What I do need is wind resistance and to be able to handle light to moderate rain but for short burst. Would love something with side zips for easy access to a side arm. What do you all recommend?

Thanks

The Outdoor Research Foray jacket has side zips that would be perfect for this. Its a rain jacket that is just a gore tex shell though. Will definitely stop the wind but offers no real warmth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wingert

FNG
I would second the recommendation for the KUIU Axis Hybrid jacket:

Honyock

WKR
Take a look at the "2021" Sitka Jetstream @eurooptics for $169. That's last year's model but for $169 it would be hard to do better. Will definitely handle the wind.

jvalv

FNG
Viktos makes a jacket called the Bersherken, it's a 3 layer shell with sherpa fleece lining, lower side zips to access a belt holster. I've been looking at it for Minnesota winters and the same reasons as you. Haven't purchased one yet, just giving another option.

I have the axis mentioned above. It is good and very warm. I am also a fan of the jet stream and tank that sale price is awesome. Another option that is a bit WarMer is the Sitka traverse hoodie. Sherpa lined. Blocks some wind and rain. Love mine. And have one in subalpine and black. It is my go to for both the woods and around town. The older models are on sale for $100.

I don’t know of a lot of hunting brands that have the side vents for pistols. I have seen the vicktos option mentioned above. 5.11 makes a bunch too.