Second guessing unit choice?

This will be my first trip to CO to chase elk. I feel I have a good area pick out in a unit but it seems everyone feels that its over crowded or the Beatle kill makes it hard to hunt I'm second guessing my choice and want to know if I should go and chance the crowds and terrain or change units just seems I'm spinning my wheels second guessing my choice. Looking at unit 14.

GPool1842

WKR
If you’ve done your research and feel comfortable, roll with it. Do you and go make it happen.

For every OTC unit in Colorado there’s a forum post somewhere saying that it’s overcrowded and the elk hunting isn’t that great. Pick a unit and go is my advice. When it comes to elk hunting the west OTC, the hunter is going to matter more than the unit.

OP
C
Thanks for the advice guys I think the second guessing is just do to inexperience with elk hunting and understanding what I'm getting into

Colorado is super busy as are other OTC places. Hunt a place a few years and you'll maybe find a little spot where there's elk and few people. Forum posts about units will point you in a million directions. If you study data and talk with biologists, you can get info in a little more scientific method.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Who is everyone? Do they have any boots on the ground experience in your unit or are they keyboard commandos?
If you’ve done your research and have a plan A, B and C, be confident in your choice. Get it out of you head before September because lack of confidence will sink you as fast as anything.
Good luck.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Plan A, plan B, plan C, etc, etc. And if those plans involve more than one unit........even better. Keep your options open. Heck, sometimes my plan B is 200 miles away from plan A.

SWOHTR

WKR
Just go...just...go. Have to jump in some time. Don't expect to be all alone back there and finding massive bulls. Set the bar low so you can just go and do it. Last thing you want is to second guess yourself on something you probably already spent a significant amount of time researching. You have a plan...think about it, remember it, go do it. Don't take said plan and throw it out the window at the last minute and just fly by the seat of your pants.

hcaudle

Lil-Rokslider
I’d go with your original plan. I’ve hunted an OTC rifle unit the last 3 years that supposedly is overrun with hunters. Except for one outfitter and his clients, only people I’ve ran into were within 1/2 mile of the trailhead.