Seek Outside 5400 Spectra Custom

OP
HNTR918

HNTR918

WKR
I ordered a small belt with the pack, but with the lumbar pad I need a medium belt.
I returned my small belt and SO sent me a medium a week later for free.

I also asked for 2 more piece of foam for the lumbar pad, they included it with the medium belt for free as well.

Great Customer Service!

OP
HNTR918

HNTR918

WKR
I'm currently going 2.5 miles each night with 45 lbs.
I'm running into foot problems when I up the weight, so I'm waiting on boot inserts before going heavy again.
Although the 45 lb weight with water has become very easy over the last 3 weeks.

My total skin out weight for Elk Rifle this year is 46.7 lbs, so my confidence is thru the roof.

OP
HNTR918

HNTR918

WKR
Update:
The floating belt is becoming my favorite pack feature.
I'm able to loosen the belt and not have to crank on it like my MR to stay in place.
The extra foam has stopped all slippage and sagging.

I've switched out the 2'' extensions for the 4'' extensions.
The pack carriers better with the longer extensions with any weight over 25 lbs for me.

I'm also appreciating the gate keepers and the flexibility to secure odd objects.

The buckles also stay in place, I'm not reaching up to re tighten my gate keepers every mile.

Next Items to Try:
Remove horizontal stay supports with 45/70/95 lbs loads.

Ideas for Future:
Shorten, cut, and resew the long straps. (Any tips?)

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What is the idea behind this?

If you cut straps, make sure to sew a loop for gatekeepers in the future.

Jeremy

The first packs we launched didn’t have horizontal cross pieces. It’s a feature we added down the road due to customer request.

With some thought to where stuff is packed, and a knee in the back panel to form a barreled load the cross stays aren’t necessary. I never use them, though most do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Cutting the webbing, is not going to result in much and the downside is you will loose possibly some flexibility. The quickest way to save weight is Cross Stays ( I do not use the lower one, but I do use the upper), and compression straps which clip off (you can also run fewer by putting 3 gatekeepers on one strap and zig zagging). The next way , which will work but I do not recommend is sewing the harness on statically .. in which you loose the ability to adjust torso. Mainly if you do that you can ditch a lot of webbing and some hardware.

Wapiti1

WKR
After 4 years with my Revo, I like the stays and let the webbing dangle like tassels on a bicycle. I initially had keepers on the webbing, and decided I don't care.

For me the stays help a lot with oddly shaped meat blobs in game bags. There is no way to keep a boned out blob of meat out of your back without them. Or a bear hide. I've got 4 elk, a sheep, and one grizzly on this pack and those stays are my good buddies.

We'll see how they work on moose next month. I hope.

Have a good season.

Jeremy

Cascadian

FNG
First Impressions of the Seek Outside 5400 Custom in Spectra.
#1 WOW is it light - It weights under 3lb 14oz.
Hey HNTR918, I know it's been awhile, but there's not a lot of content out there on custom Spectragrid bags.

Did you ever grab a weight on the spectra bag when it was out of the cardboard box? I'm curious how much the Spectra saves vs the x-pac and this would answer it. Thanks!

OP
HNTR918

HNTR918

WKR
Hey HNTR918, I know it's been awhile, but there's not a lot of content out there on custom Spectragrid bags.

Did you ever grab a weight on the spectra bag when it was out of the cardboard box? I'm curious how much the Spectra saves vs the x-pac and this would answer it. Thanks!

Yes, the pack weights 3 lbs 14 oz.
I set the box it came on, on the scale, zeroed it, and weighed the pack.

HNTR918 - how has your experience with it been regarding waterproofness?

I hunted 28 days last year (Colorado & New Mexico), a few had rain and a few with rain/sleet/snow/hail mixture. I had no issues, as my extra clothes and down sleeping bag were in my tipi or the truck during these times, but my puffy pants and jacket were in the bag and didn't notice them being wet.

It's definitely WAY more waterproof than Cordura. My old MR would get wet and become a brick! Not to mention get everything inside wet.

I'll be in SE Alaska black bear hunting since I drew a 2022 tag, and that will definitely be the wettest place I ever hunt.

OP
HNTR918

HNTR918

WKR
Quick Update: Additions for 2021.

I bought a few sets of Strapkeepers. I believe 2 came with the pack but I needed more. They have been the answer to cleaning up my pack, and eliminating straps getting caught on brush. No cutting needed! I wish more came with the pack originally, but I can't complain about $3. Easy Fix!

After the packouts last year, I wish I had 2 more extra long straps. I bought another set. I'll be using them for elk hunting only, and store them on the load shelf loops between the bag and frame.

I've been so please with this pack, I've added the base talon in Spectra for items I use frequently like my puffy, z-seat, etc when backcountry hunting. I might also try and use the pack frame and talon only for day hunting this year.

Also, I just put in an order for the new SO belt pockets. I used my old MR ones last year.

OP
HNTR918

HNTR918

WKR
Pack in Action.

Attachments

• 3B3F87C8-1395-4500-832F-7BB75989F7B4.jpeg
    3B3F87C8-1395-4500-832F-7BB75989F7B4.jpeg
    528.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 2F451027-0904-4AD3-9D8A-801205B21164.jpeg
    2F451027-0904-4AD3-9D8A-801205B21164.jpeg
    557.3 KB · Views: 93
  • D2408F6A-D7C0-4537-B00D-85BD50751B68.jpeg
    D2408F6A-D7C0-4537-B00D-85BD50751B68.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 40EB9661-0E56-4806-9C7A-8A4056AA9CFF.jpeg
    40EB9661-0E56-4806-9C7A-8A4056AA9CFF.jpeg
    574.1 KB · Views: 91

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
What unit did you draw in SE AK?

The way Cordura absorbs water is one of the things that lead me to ordering a Seek Outside. Which, while I missed this thread somehow last year, is almost identical to yours. Now I'm just waiting for it to be shipped.

I did not have a problem keeping my gear dry with Cordura, but carrying the extra wieght gets annoying in places where nothing ever dries. That said, don't completely trust your pack in SE AK, put down in dry bags, or use a contractor bag as a liner and put your down in that. It feels like busting wet brush all day soaks things as well (and sometimes better due to constant motion working moisture) than submersion.

Cascadian

FNG
Thanks for the replies and sharing pics!

Could you live without the full zip, or do you love that feature?

JohnB

WKR

I've got a Goshawk and absolutely love the zipper. When dayhunting the stuff I need most I pack against the zipper so I can easily access it without messing with the roll top. I dont have a talon or merlin on my pack and I havent felt the need to have one due to the zipper. If I only had roll top access I would for sure want something else.

Rokwiia

WKR
Yes, the pack weights 3 lbs 14 oz.
I set the box it came on, on the scale, zeroed it, and weighed the pack.

I hunted 28 days last year (Colorado & New Mexico), a few had rain and a few with rain/sleet/snow/hail mixture. I had no issues, as my extra clothes and down sleeping bag were in my tipi or the truck during these times, but my puffy pants and jacket were in the bag and didn't notice them being wet.

It's definitely WAY more waterproof than Cordura. My old MR would get wet and become a brick! Not to mention get everything inside wet.

I'll be in SE Alaska black bear hunting since I drew a 2022 tag, and that will definitely be the wettest place I ever hunt.
If you were ordering again, would you get the Spectra?

OP
HNTR918

HNTR918

WKR
What unit did you draw in SE AK?

The way Cordura absorbs water is one of the things that lead me to ordering a Seek Outside. Which, while I missed this thread somehow last year, is almost identical to yours. Now I'm just waiting for it to be shipped.

I did not have a problem keeping my gear dry with Cordura, but carrying the extra wieght gets annoying in places where nothing ever dries. That said, don't completely trust your pack in SE AK, put down in dry bags, or use a contractor bag as a liner and put your down in that. It feels like busting wet brush all day soaks things as well (and sometimes better due to constant motion working moisture) than submersion.
POW Island.

I'll be packing my clothes, sleeping bag, and electronics in a drybag for that trip, but I'll see if the rest of my gear gets wet.

If I lived in Alaska, Washington, or Oregon I would have gone without the zipper.
That being said I hunt Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and New Mexico the most.
I love the ability to have the full side zip, especially with the zipper from the top AND the bottom.

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have the a seek outside waterbottle holder and a belt pocket on 1 side of your hip belt? Looking at your pictures it looks like you might