Seek Outside 8 or 12 man Tipi

Title says it all. Will be used for 3 guys during archery and rifle season packed in 3 1/2 miles. Secondary use... I have 4 people in my family for some camping when we are not using the camper. Also for cub scouts with my son. Leaning toward the 8 man Seek outside in 70d. If I buy the 12 man it will be 30d. Thanks for your help in advance...so excited this is my first tipi. BTW I will be using an XL titanium stove as well.

I have the six man and my hunting partner and I fit in it with our gear. I also family camp with it. For 3 guys I would definitely go with the 8 man. The woods we hunt are pretty thick, so the 6 man tipi can sometimes be a challenge to find a good spot when you are off the trail. If it is more open where you hunt it will not be a problem.

I have the medium stove, and it will blast you out of the 6 man. I'm in the South, so it rarely gets below 20 degress. Except this week!

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
The room if the 12 man is very nice, just so long as the footprint isn't too big for where you hunt.

This is a shot of my 6 man. We were on a bear hunt in N Ga. You can just see our gear in the tent. It rained the whole hunt. So it was nice to have everything inside.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I have the S.O. six man as well, 3 with no stove is no problem.
View attachment 23125
Add a stove and wood you will be glad you have an 8 man. My six man is the 70D cloth. I have never regretted the 2 lb. increase. We split the weight up anyway. I run a large Ti-Stove it gets warm!
I have been very happy with mine in fact I am thinking of adding an LBO with vestibule for solo trips.

My tent is probably 6 years old. It gets used a lot, for everything from car camping with the family, to hunting and fishing trips. It still looks brand new. I have not had any problems with burn holes, etc. I also have the liner, but I have not used it yet. I'm not sure what weight the material is. At that time there was not an option.

If I go solo, or my son comes along, I have a Kifaru paratipi and small stove.

AXEL

WKR
I have had Kifaru 6 and 8-man tipis and a Paratipi; for use here in BC's often harsh climate, I would now choose a SO-12 man, even with the issue of footprint size in our precipitous and bushy terrain.

I am not going to backpack my tipi, so, would prefer the camo-70d. fabric to hopefully prevent theft by it's lower visual signature. Our COs here will warn hunters of thefts by one particular group and nothing is ever done about this for political reasons......sooooooo, camo and location IS everything.

kcormack

Lil-Rokslider
Go with the 12 man. You have the flexibility to stake it out in the 8 man footprint when a good set for the larger is not possible. I use the six man solo w/ stove and it has been worth the extra carry weight to me. Also get the half liner. Guaranteed, you and your huntin' partners, scouts or family standing inside 12 man while weather is ?&#$* outside will NOT say, "gee this is to roomy should of gone with a smaller tent".

Last edited:
OP
C
Go with the 12 man. You have the flexibility to stake it out in the 8 man footprint when a good set for the larger is not possible. I use the six man solo w/ stove and it has been worth the extra carry weight to me. Also get the half liner. Guaranteed, you and your huntin' partners, scouts or family standing inside 12 man while weather is ?&#$* outside will NOT say, "gee this is to roomy should of gone with a smaller tent".

Thanks Guys... 12 man it is! I'm unsure about the liner though. Not a ton of humidity here in Colorado, but I guess if it is a problem I can add it later.

Browtine

WKR
Thanks Guys... 12 man it is! I'm unsure about the liner though. Not a ton of humidity here in Colorado, but I guess if it is a problem I can add it later.

I'd skip the liner, especially where you're at. I have the SO 8man and we don't use a liner. Plenty of room for 3 guys to stay off the walls in the 8 and even easier in the 12.

OP
C
Ordered a SO 12 man with XL stove today. FWIW I met Keven and Angie today at their shop. They seem like great people. For those of you wondering about them and/or their company.... rest easy. Their work is high quality and are honest hard working people.

parshal

WKR
I have an SO 8-man in 70D. I've used it a few times this winter hunting deer (north of Craig) and birds in Oklahoma. I had it down below 0 a couple times and only had a half liner. We tapped sheets of ice off the inside the tent in the morning and the stove would melt it causing it to drip on my cot where there was no liner. When I returned I immediately bought another half liner. I've used it a few times since then below 20 with the stove and I'm very glad I've got the liner.

I'm planning on ordering a 12 man shortly. While there is plenty of room in the 8 man with full size cots, a pile of firewood and a stove it would be real tight with three guys. I don't use the 8 man for packing though it's not really heavy. It would be way less with the 30D material.

I added bug netting to my 8 man which I wish I'd not done. It's not that it's heavy but with the liner it gets in the way especially with snow on the ground.

Now I've just got to figure out if I want to sell my 8 man or keep them both!

We received our SO 12-man a couple days ago. Had gone back and forth in my mind before deciding. Glad we went 12, even though it's just the wife and I. Plenty of room for cots, table, firewood, coolers, etc. Our use will be basecamp near the vehicle so size/weight no concern. We wanted the wind resistance, light weight and fast setup/takedown (as compared to our wall tent). We went 70D fabric, and screens, weight with pole and stakes is about 15.5 lbs. We will use our round wall tent stove to heat it.

Overall a really nice tent. Everything is quality, the fabric, zippers, seams, reinforcements, etc. We are both really pleased with it.

Here are a couple pics setting it up in the yard to check it all out. Super easy and quick to set up and take down.

Shane

parshal

WKR
They are definitely quality. I placed an order for a 12-man and will deal with the repercussions later. LOL. I plan on adding a Cimarron to the order and will probably be putting both the 8-man and BCS Grande up for sale.

My girlfriend just rolls her eyes when she sees all these shelters!