Seek Outside DCF Cimarron Questions

nosman4

FNG
I am looking to purchase a DCF Cimarron, but the largest complaint I have heard about DCF Shelters is they don't pack down in size as much as a silnylon shelter. Can anyone post a picture of their DCF Cim packed for a size reference and maybe elaborate on how much it packs down or put something next to it for a size comparison? I don't want a shelter that is going to take up twice the room of a sleeping bag, but would like the weight savings of the DCF. Need to weigh by options.

OP
N

nosman4

FNG
Thank you. I had not seen that video before and it gives me a good idea of the size.

It was a concern I had too going in, but it hasn’t been an issue. I pack mine in the stuff sack that came with my SG sleeping bag (I just cram the sleeping bag in my pack loose). It holds the shelter, stakes, guylines, and trekking pole hitch with room the spare. Room to spare is nice because I don’t have to get it in it’s absolute smallest form to make it fit. Fold and roll and the fight to get it into the stuff sack is easy.

fcbb357722049ec0ca6ebd440ec8f7c2.jpg

7de5284eeac65ecc1726ee533ce6f00e.jpg

0bff4317f1445d4a915b3b59c45c4cc4.jpg

OP
N

nosman4

FNG
Thanks guys! That helps a ton! Do any of you regret spending the extra coin on the DCF vs going with the Light or the Regular? It seems to me that you would save about 16oz over the light and 20oz over the Silnylon.

sndmn11

WKR
I got this over the winter. My plan is to find a bigger sack and see how packing it flatter bit longer and wider and a meat shelf type space will go. It is a bit smaller than I had imagined based on people saying they don't pack small.
PXL_20210217_182958303.jpgPXL_20210217_183005930.jpgPXL_20210217_183012376.jpg

OP
N

nosman4

FNG
That’s exactly what I was thinking, no stuff sack and just pack it in the meat shelf or water bladder area

No regrets, but $/weight savings is personal. It was worth it for me but I can see how someone else would rather carry the weight. I definitely wouldn’t prioritize it over a boot/bag/pack upgrade. It was kinda the last big ticket thing I bought in my kit. I really do like how DCF pitches tight and stays tight.

OP
N

nosman4

FNG
That's a good way to look at it. I have done all the other upgrades and now I'm looking for a shelter I can cut weight with and still have alot of size. Also will be nice to have a stove. Thanks for all the input so far.

sndmn11

WKR
That's a good way to look at it. I have done all the other upgrades and now I'm looking for a shelter I can cut weight with and still have alot of size. Also will be nice to have a stove. Thanks for all the input so far.
I chose it after having a sil Redcliff and seeing how condensation can make it sag and stick in the fabric. The weight savings wasn't the priority in that purchase.

Honyock

WKR
Sorry, stupid question time: what is the DCF Cimarron? I see the Cimarron and the Cimarron Lite but not the DCF on their website.

mtodd

FNG
Hello everyone. New member here. I am considering a new Cimmaron Ultralight. My only concern is the lower melting point on the Dyneema. I will be using a stove. I’ve read about a lot of concerns but have not heard of any actual incidents of sparks making holes in these tents.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
Hello everyone. New member here. I am considering a new Cimmaron Ultralight. My only concern is the lower melting point on the Dyneema. I will be using a stove. I’ve read about a lot of concerns but have not heard of any actual incidents of sparks making holes in these tents.
The don’ts - burning real nasty or sappy woods, using a rain cap.

The do’s - burning cleaner wood if possible, using spark arrestor, longer stove pipe (6ft?)

Although it does have a lower melting point,
Both the Dyneema and nylon tents are both susceptible to burnt holes by embers.. all you can do is try to prevent it from happening the best you can.

i wouldn’t over think it really, as long as you have a longer stove pipe with spark arrestor you should be good to go.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Dyneema will make a larger defect than sil with a big ember. Dyneema is also WAY easier to patch.

We try to educate people on the differences in the fabrics, but in my personal opinion I'd take a DCF Cim every time if budget wasn't an issue.