Seek outside dyneema silex

Anybody have any first hand knowledge of this shelter??? Looking for an early season archery shelter mostly solo...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
I have the sil version so no hands on with the DCF. Its a super simple shelter to put up once you've done it a couple times. Pitches good and tight with very little sag and I understand that the DCF version is even tighter. I haven't used it with the inner nest yet as I usually run an ultralight bivy, but with my style of hunting it is just about perfect.

Looks pretty sweet. Seems like the weight goes up fairly high if you run it with the nest.

OP
LWkyhunter
Ease of pitch condensation problems would you buy it again anything of importance I should know?? I think ima put my order in for 1 but just wanted some feedback on the dyneema version...

OP
LWkyhunter
I'm assuming it's big enough for 1 person and gear

Ease of Pitch: Straight forward to pitch once you've done it a few times. I definitely recommend practicing before you go out because you do need to get the setbacks correct or the center apex seam will sag like this: 143099

However, with some practice its really easy to get a super tight pitch: 143101
Condensation: I had no issues whatsoever with condensation. But I also had good campsite selection and weather conditions were generally favorable to avoid condensation.
Weather Resistance: As mentioned, I had generally favorable weather with little precipitation so I can't really comment on that. I did encounter some fairly breezy winds (~20 MPH) and had no problems. It is obvious that its not in the same league at the Silvertip for weather resistance but it's also less than half the weight.
Size: I'm 6'1" and run a long pad - no issues getting enough clearance above my face and feet. The interior is huge for 1 guy and gear. I had 9 days worth of food, spotter, tripod, bow and never felt cramped.

I would certainly recommend this shelter and would buy it again. It does have a relatively large footprint for a small shelter so that is something to consider - you need at least 10' x 10' diamond to get a solid pitch. So depending on what type of terrain you're hunting this may be an issue.

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
I have one and ran it all September this year in CO. Any specific info you're looking for?

I've been looking at this tarp, but my main hesitation is that I also want to use it as a glassing shelter to stay out of the rain/wind. What are your thoughts of using it in that capacity with one of the doors up?

OP
LWkyhunter
Thatd be an interesting point also Tibet itd work just fine that way

It works fine for glassing out of - not as well as a small flat tarp (ie Sheep Tarp or DST) though. If I recall correctly, I think the doors slide up to about a max of 40" high.

tdot

WKR
It works fine for glassing out of - not as well as a small flat tarp (ie Sheep Tarp or DST) though. If I recall correctly, I think the doors slide up to about a max of 40" high.

Have you tried it in the rain or wind with the door up? One of the things that I'm curious about, is how that loose door will act if it is raining or windy.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It won’t move as I close in the wind it will flap though with the loose fabric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
To clarify

It is essentially a 10 by 10 diamond on size, but it is really close to a 7 by 7 square. That means footprint wise, it is barely larger than 2 person hubba hubba

tdot

WKR
Anyone had this tarp out in snow or high wind?

Is it stupid to take this on a sheep hunt?