Seek outside nest necessary for august in pnw?

jbowlbs

FNG
Looking to purchase the seek outside guardian for this years hunting season.

Anyone have experience sleeping in one during early august in pnw and if the nest is a necessity to keep bugs out at that time?

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Depends where in the PNW. Many parts of the Oregon Cascades hold hordes of mosquitoes until October. Other more desert based ranges in the eastern sides of Oregon and Washington are bug free by July. Can't speak to the North Cascades

As said above it varies by location. Each year can also be a little different.

I prefer the Borah gear bug bivy

Only weighs 6 or 8 oz. I just always pack it with me.

rclouse79

WKR
I like my cimmaron, but it loses its appeal during bug season. For the price of a bug bivy you can probably get a decent tent that will work better. The big advantage of floorless is a stove, and if bugs are out a stove probably isn’t necessary. I went backpacking with my son and his friend. I was very jealous when they retired into their bug free zone and I had to go back to my mosquito filled shelter. Those bastards even bit me in the forehead a few times through the mesh in my Borah bivy.

OP
J

jbowlbs

FNG
I like my cimmaron, but it loses its appeal during bug season. For the price of a bug bivy you can probably get a decent tent that will work better. The big advantage of floorless is a stove, and if bugs are out a stove probably isn’t necessary. I went backpacking with my son and his friend. I was very jealous when they retired into their bug free zone and I had to go back to my mosquito filled shelter. Those bastards even bit me in the forehead a few times through the mesh in my Borah bivy.
The hell of bug season still being there is what I'm nervous about. I'm also contemplating getting the Guardian this year and then maybe next year making the nest part of my major purchases.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got the LBO - tried it in an area with mosquitos in the summer (creek area) and definitely would not do it again without a nest. I’d imagine the guardian would be the same. But… with the nest it’s great!

OP
J

jbowlbs

FNG
I’ve got the LBO - tried it in an area with mosquitos in the summer (creek area) and definitely would not do it again without a nest. I’d imagine the guardian would be the same. But… with the nest it’s great!
I’m thinking I might just have to get the nest