Seek Outside Pack Adjustment

I picked up a new to me Fortress 6300 this year. Used it to backpack in for 5 days, pack weight was around 50lbs. It handled the weight significantly better than my previous pack. I am currently having trouble getting weight to transfers to my hips, originally had a medium belt, swapped it for a large thinking that may be the issue but still having the issue. when I pull the load lifters it more so just pulls the straps tighter onto my shoulders rather than transferring to me hips. I typically wear a 34 in pants which puts me on the edge for the medium and large belt.

Am I being a diva about how this pack is carrying the weight?
Should I down size in the belt again?
I know I’ve read that some frames just don’t work for people but from what i’ve read about Seek Outside I’m doubting that’s the case. Anyone else having this issue?

Rokwiia

WKR
I've got a Fortress 6,300 (breakaway) and a Unaweep 6,300 (integrated). Both stay on my hips well. Do you have the "pull forward" or "pull backward" adjusters on your hipbelt? Conceptually, they should achieve the same result although I find the pull forward to be a tad easier to dial in a near-perfect fit.

I would completely release the shoulder straps and loadlifters of a 50lb-weighted pack, shrug the pack up, then tighten your hipbelt straps, then tighten the loadlifters. You should be able to see a gap between your shoulders and then shoulder straps and feel the weight on your hips.

I typically tighten the bottom strap first then the top one. At that point, you should be able to feel all of the pack weight resting on your hips. The pack will likely sway back and forth as the shoulder straps have not been adjusted. If you do not feel the weight of the pack on yoru hips, then the belt may be too large or the the belt not tightened enough.

Here is the best video I've seen regarding pack fit and heavy weight. Nathan from SO talks about a number of issues including hip slippage (2:20). Around (6:00-7:12), he talks about alternating between weight carried on your shoulders and then weight carried on your hips. I think I've watched this entire video a half-dozen times and it really helps to dial things in.

Last edited:

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope the above video was helpful I used it a little when I fit my SO. Just from listening to your story, it sounds like you need to move your shoulder harness up just a little which would in a sense lengthen your setup. Once you get the backpack on with the should straps tight, tighten the hip belt and the load lifters. At that point, let out about 1/2" to 1" on the shoulder straps and slightly tighten the load lifters again if needed. That should get the load off your shoulders and on your hips. But like I said, that video posted above is very helpful so check it out.

OP
jnawalaniec
I hope the above video was helpful I used it a little when I fit my SO. Just from listening to your story, it sounds like you need to move your shoulder harness up just a little which would in a sense lengthen your setup. Once you get the backpack on with the should straps tight, tighten the hip belt and the load lifters. At that point, let out about 1/2" to 1" on the shoulder straps and slightly tighten the load lifters again if needed. That should get the load off your shoulders and on your hips. But like I said, that video posted above is very helpful so check it out.
I’m going to give it a try tonight, I’ve watched most of the Seek outside videos a few times while making adjustments, just fine tuning at this point. Thanks for the help!

I had to adjust mine a few times to get it perfect and play around with the extensions and the different ways to configure the belt. Its awesome once you get it right

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
It took me awhile to get the fit dialed in as well but it was worth it. Fits great now.

The thing that helped me the most was adding a 2 inch extention to the frame. If you're still feeling a lot of weight on your shoulders with the load lifters adjusted, they might not be high enough.

OP
jnawalaniec
It took me awhile to get the fit dialed in as well but it was worth it. Fits great now.

The thing that helped me the most was adding a 2 inch extention to the frame. If you're still feeling a lot of weight on your shoulders with the load lifters adjusted, they might not be high enough.
I have to 2 inch extension on, can’t imagine needing the four inch, i’m only 6’0. if adjusting the shoulder straps doesn’t work i’ll give it a try!

Im 6' as well and the 2" inch extensions are perfect for me, i usually leave them on but i took them off for truck hunting elk in daypack mode this year. The 4" were overkill when i tried them and limited head movement, but I've also not loaded up more than about 95lbs on a packout so far and i train with 50-80lbs so maybe if i had to carry more weight the 4" would be handy, idk. I don't really plan to carry more but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do so I'll keep them lol

My Seek Outside pack was the most difficult to get dialed in of any pack I've owned. Once I figured it out, it's been awesome. I'm very glad I stuck with it.