Seek Outside Silex reviews as a hot tent

Rick M.

WKR
No, not at this moment.

What about now? I was watching the Silex video with Dennis on goHunt's YouTube, and Dennis mentions a Silex-style design that will be larger and pitched lower to the ground (this vid at the 1:50 mark)

Was this the Guardian that he was talking about? I'd love to know more about it if you guys are still R&Ding it.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
He was mentioning it, but we are not doing that tent. There is another tent, different naming, that will fit that bill. It will be larger than the Eolus. ETA unknown. Covid complicates getting design and training done and Grand Junction is a hot spot at the moment. I've had a proto type and it's pretty cool. A bit more in the Silvertip to Cimarron category.

Superdoo

WKR
Now that snow is on the ground most every place... anybody got a review of the silex in the snow? I notice it doesn’t have a sod skirt, so is spin drift an issue?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you do not get an answer , here is what I do when snow is on the ground and I don't have a snow skirt. I make a little wall around the outside , via snow or logs and it handles the bulk of it.

He was mentioning it, but we are not doing that tent. There is another tent, different naming, that will fit that bill. It will be larger than the Eolus. ETA unknown. Covid complicates getting design and training done and Grand Junction is a hot spot at the moment. I've had a proto type and it's pretty cool. A bit more in the Silvertip to Cimarron category.

Any updates on this? Sounds like just what I’m looking for.

How does the Silex handle an active snowstorm? Seems like it would have a very low tolerance for snow load, and it would get everywhere inside the tent from drift and opening the doors. Any experience here?

How does the Silex handle an active snowstorm? Seems like it would have a very low tolerance for snow load, and it would get everywhere inside the tent from drift and opening the doors. Any experience here?
I've had it in snow and 0-20 degree weather for 4 days. The Silex will handle it ok, especially with the auxiliary stake points. Wouldn't recommend it though. Getting in and out isn't ideal. Snow tends to drop inside when lifting the door.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I've had it in snow and 0-20 degree weather for 4 days. The Silex will handle it ok, especially with the auxiliary stake points. Wouldn't recommend it though. Getting in and out isn't ideal. Snow tends to drop inside when lifting the door.

Thanks, kind of what i figured. Seems like if you pitch this on dry land then a snow storm hit, it wouldn't be ideal. No peak vent for ventilation once snow covers the ground, no snow skirt to keep it out of the tent, doors that open upward etc... but that weight is appealing.

Thanks, kind of what i figured. Seems like if you pitch this on dry land then a snow storm hit, it wouldn't be ideal. No peak vent for ventilation once snow covers the ground, no snow skirt to keep it out of the tent, doors that open upward etc... but that weight is appealing.
Exactly. I liked the BT2 better in snow by far. The Silex is ok for a little snow, but not days on end and a lot of accumulation.

kbarber

FNG
Any trekking pole recommendations for pitching? Seems like the latch lock style would be best. But I haven't pitched anything with poles yet.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any trekking pole recommendations for pitching? Seems like the latch lock style would be best. But I haven't pitched anything with poles yet.
Adjustable poles will make life easier. I've used fixed length poles with mine and it wasn't ideal when the ground wasn't perfectly level. I switched over to Peax trekking poles for a zero hassle pitch.