Seek Outside Silex

Vaughan3D

FNG
Silex_Proxy_01.jpg

Very crude mock-up testing fit for Sea to Summit Pad and head/Foot clearance. Additional clearance would be needed for sleeping pad/quilt. I'll do a physical mockup by taping the dimensions on the floor soon and using the real sleeping pad.

Vaughan3D

FNG
More crude mockups testing space for the Silex. I feel pretty confident head will be right up on the nest and my giant feet will definitely be on the nest.

Attachments

• Silex_Proxy_02.jpg
    Silex_Proxy_02.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Silex_Proxy_03.jpg
    Silex_Proxy_03.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 150

reaper

WKR
Playing with the silex
778c250b6e53e80775518df9435f905f.jpg
32124b88907e8c39871ea9a37238364e.jpg
d8a5cb5190d9d70bc82ca2e1d9a4c038.jpg
2f03cfab8c7a16ed63a51423a65ee013.jpg
0c06a4e687a4da6e0c4cbae96798136d.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
More crude mockups testing space for the Silex. I feel pretty confident head will be right up on the nest and my giant feet will definitely be on the nest.

There are guy outs on the nest that match up with the silex to increase space .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
Got my Silex set up for the first time this weekend and seam sealed. Really liked how easy it was to pitch and the interior space. I've got two questions about seam sealing though:

First, out of the 1.5 ounce tube of Seam Grip it came with, I only used about half. Does that seem right, or did I potentially put it on too thin? My understanding is that I'm essentially just trying to seal all the stitching pinholes, and I pushed it in with my finger as I went. I did all the vertical seams, including at the doors, under each guy out tab on the two sides, the top seam (from pole pocket to pole pocket), around the pole pockets, and around the stake tabs at the bottom. I did not do the seam that runs all the way around the bottom of the tent - do I need to? We're supposed to get rain later this week, so I'm planning on leaving it set up and see how it does.

Second, it was little breezy Saturday while I was seam sealing and I've got a few stray spills on the tent body. I wiped them down with a wet cloth as I went, but can still see that I've got some sealer randomly on the tent body. What's the best way to clean it off now that it's dry, without harming or discoloring the tent fabric? I've got mineral spirits, TSP, Goof Off, and Goo Gone, but didn't want to put anything too harsh on it.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Got my Silex set up for the first time this weekend and seam sealed. Really liked how easy it was to pitch and the interior space. I've got two questions about seam sealing though:

First, out of the 1.5 ounce tube of Seam Grip it came with, I only used about half. Does that seem right, or did I potentially put it on too thin? My understanding is that I'm essentially just trying to seal all the stitching pinholes, and I pushed it in with my finger as I went. I did all the vertical seams, including at the doors, under each guy out tab on the two sides, the top seam (from pole pocket to pole pocket), around the pole pockets, and around the stake tabs at the bottom. I did not do the seam that runs all the way around the bottom of the tent - do I need to? We're supposed to get rain later this week, so I'm planning on leaving it set up and see how it does.

Second, it was little breezy Saturday while I was seam sealing and I've got a few stray spills on the tent body. I wiped them down with a wet cloth as I went, but can still see that I've got some sealer randomly on the tent body. What's the best way to clean it off now that it's dry, without harming or discoloring the tent fabric? I've got mineral spirits, TSP, Goof Off, and Goo Gone, but didn't want to put anything too harsh on it.
About right on seam sealer. Mineral spirits oderless .. I have not tried the others maybe someone else can chime in.

tdhanses

WKR

Other option is just leave the spots as it will hurt nothing Vs possibly damaging the coating on the material.

Ac338

WKR
Just set up my Silex for the first time. Any tips on getting it to pitch closer to the ground without making the top sag? I feel like its a little to far off the ground thanks.

Attachments

• 20200814_150613.jpg
    20200814_150613.jpg
    635.8 KB · Views: 105

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
Just set up my Silex for the first time. Any tips on getting it to pitch closer to the ground without making the top sag? I feel like its a little to far off the ground thanks.

did you try to change the angle of the trekking poles slightly outward to take up the slack from the middle?
you can also try to space the poles a bit further away from each other.
i do not own a silex however that seems like it would be a potential solution.

Ac338

WKR
Lower the pole slightly
Thank you, I just went out and lowered the poles to 120 cm and readjusted my stakes its definitely a lot better. I'm assuming by design these aren't supposed to be flat touching the ground anyways? Not sure I'm fairly new to floorless but I'm really digging the Silex, it's replacing my mountainsmith this September.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Silex is not designed to be at ground . The small air gap really reduces condensation , plus there is a full double wall nest that can be used to reduce any breeze and makes it a full on double wall tent .

When pitched , it is close enough to the ground that wind is not a big issue . I’ve had it in 30-50 several times and it hangs with some of the better tents in regards to wind

Ac338

WKR
Silex is not designed to be at ground . The small air gap really reduces condensation , plus there is a full double wall nest that can be used to reduce any breeze and makes it a full on double wall tent .

When pitched , it is close enough to the ground that wind is not a big issue . I’ve had it in 30-50 several times and it hangs with some of the better tents in regards to wind

Sweet thanks. I got it setup pretty good now. I left it up in 20-30 mph last night to test it and not an issue at all even only using 6 stakes, now I just need a cub uturn and ill be set.

I recently spent 4 nights above timberline In some pretty interesting conditions with my sil nylon silex, changed some feelings and added others... it was pretty close to worse case scenario condition. I hiked into the alpine Aug 31 just to be greeted halfway up by snow, it was blizzard conditions blowing dry snow and 20-30mph winds coming out of the north. It stayed like this for 24 straight hours before switching to on again/off again snow for the next 24 hours with the same 30mph wind... I pitched the tent on the leeward side of a lone spruce tree with the triple seam facing wind direction after clearing as much snow as possible (no nest) i set the poles to 48 inches and pitched it as tight as possible while putting rocks on the 4 main stakes and staking down both doors and guy outs. I had to add rocks in areas where the fabric didn't touch the ground due to blowing dry snow coming in the tent, this worked fine and I accepted the condensation I knew I would get for the securedness. The tent would not shed this type of snow well, it would stick to the fabric and I had to wake up every hour and bang the walls to get snow to fall. Only 1 time did I retighten guys outs that 1st night. Now, as expected the snow completely sealed the bottom of the tent so condensation was bad and it was buffeting or raining inside the tent all night. The next day I woke up and the tent fabric had sagged so much I could barely sit up I had lost what felt like all my usable space. After raising the poles and retightening the guy outs ans removing snow around bottom it came right back to normal. I left the doors slightly open that day because my sleeping bag was quite wet. By that night it was dry from the increased airflow. What impressed me was that after that initial stretch in fabric and retightening it it was so taught and handled the wind amazingly, hardly made a sound with the strong gusts I was getting. Felt really secure and once able to raise back up, condensation was a non issue. I will say being 6'4" and having to crawl through that tiny door when it's staked down is a royal PITA! But overall very impressed with how it handled the situation I wasn't expecting and could've been really bad. Had I been expecting this weather I would've had the cimarron with me instead.

I recently spent 4 nights above timberline In some pretty interesting conditions with my sil nylon silex, changed some feelings and added others... it was pretty close to worse case scenario condition. I hiked into the alpine Aug 31 just to be greeted halfway up by snow, it was blizzard conditions blowing dry snow and 20-30mph winds coming out of the north. It stayed like this for 24 straight hours before switching to on again/off again snow for the next 24 hours with the same 30mph wind... I pitched the tent on the leeward side of a lone spruce tree with the triple seam facing wind direction after clearing as much snow as possible (no nest) i set the poles to 48 inches and pitched it as tight as possible while putting rocks on the 4 main stakes and staking down both doors and guy outs. I had to add rocks in areas where the fabric didn't touch the ground due to blowing dry snow coming in the tent, this worked fine and I accepted the condensation I knew I would get for the securedness. The tent would not shed this type of snow well, it would stick to the fabric and I had to wake up every hour and bang the walls to get snow to fall. Only 1 time did I retighten guys outs that 1st night. Now, as expected the snow completely sealed the bottom of the tent so condensation was bad and it was buffeting or raining inside the tent all night. The next day I woke up and the tent fabric had sagged so much I could barely sit up I had lost what felt like all my usable space. After raising the poles and retightening the guy outs ans removing snow around bottom it came right back to normal. I left the doors slightly open that day because my sleeping bag was quite wet. By that night it was dry from the increased airflow. What impressed me was that after that initial stretch in fabric and retightening it it was so taught and handled the wind amazingly, hardly made a sound with the strong gusts I was getting. Felt really secure and once able to raise back up, condensation was a non issue. I will say being 6'4" and having to crawl through that tiny door when it's staked down is a royal PITA! But overall very impressed with how it handled the situation I wasn't expecting and could've been really bad. Had I been expecting this weather I would've had the cimarron with me instead.

Should’ve bought Dyneema.

Put it to use on a wyo sheep hunt last week.
4 nights in 3 spots. Pitch and take down is quick and easy.
Did well but wasn't much for conditions besides smoke.
Appreciate light weight and small stuffed size.

Attachments

• 20210831_162805.jpg
    20210831_162805.jpg
    778 KB · Views: 74
Should’ve bought Dyneema.

Hahaha ya would've been nice for that scenario. I will only use the silex for single night or spike adventures from now on. Tent is too small to be stuck In for 24 straight hours when weathered in! But sure wish I could order a cimarron in dynerma. Hopefully things calm down next and Kevin brings it back 🤞

Superdoo

WKR
So I’ve had the issue of the Silex sagging pretty badly overnight. I pitch it tight and even used guy lines from the two tips. Yet when I wake up in the morning, everything is loose.
Yes I know dyneema would solve this.
Anybody have any tips???