Seekins ATC brake? Opinions needed

In the process of putting together an ultralight "mountain Rifle" and i'm curious about brakes. I doubt I will use one while hunting myself, but my son and wife go with me a good bit and I wouldn't mind having a brake on the gun for the range and when they use it. Looking at the Barrett FieldCraft in 6.5cm with the short barrel. I like the look of the Seekins ATC brake and the price isn't bad. Any opinions on this one or others? Thanks

section8mainiac

Lil-Rokslider
I got a brake from Kirby Allen for my Rem 700 in 300 win mag. Obviously it make it louder, but now kicks less than my 257 wby even when shooting 200 grain hand loads.

The ATC has 90 degree ports so it is less effective than brakes that direct gasses rearward. My 300 WM havak came with one and I was able to spot impacts notably easier when I put an area 419 hellfire on instead.

You can typically tell how much a brake will reduce recoil by the surface area and rearward angle of ports. The hellfire, heathen, apa bastard series, pain killers, muzzle brakes and more (MBM), Christensen side port, terminator series, etc will all be more effective at reducing recoil and muzzle rise than the ATC. That said, rearward ports also increase noise behind the rifle compared to 90 degree ports. No free lunch.

OP
flinginairos
The ATC has 90 degree ports so it is less effective than brakes that direct gasses rearward. My 300 WM havak came with one and I was able to spot impacts notably easier when I put an area 419 hellfire on instead.

You can typically tell how much a brake will reduce recoil by the surface area and rearward angle of ports. The hellfire, heathen, apa bastard series, pain killers, muzzle brakes and more (MBM), Christensen side port, terminator series, etc will all be more effective at reducing recoil and muzzle rise than the ATC. That said, rearward ports also increase noise behind the rifle compared to 90 degree ports. No free lunch.

Since the 6.5cm is a light recoil rifle, would the 90* ports of the ATC be effective enough at reducing muzzle jump and maybe not be as bad on the ears?

Since the 6.5cm is a light recoil rifle, would the 90* ports of the ATC be effective enough at reducing muzzle jump and maybe not be as bad on the ears?

In my opinion the difference in recoil reduction is more notable than the noise difference. I would opt for one of the brakes I listed with rearward ports. Others might see it differently.