Seekins Element 6.5 PRC or 7 PRC??

Hey guys looking for opinions on what to buy in a Seekins Element 6.5 PRC or 7 PRC??

I’m thinking I’m pretty sold on the Seekins Element, living in Boise and having Seekins fairly close is very encouraging. Seems like everyone has had very good experiences as well with Seekins. I held the Element and the PH2 in person and was immediately sold on the Element from a weight and size perspective. My question is how much more significant is the recoil on the 7 vs the 6.5 on a gun this light?? I would love to shoot them side by side but no shop is gonna let me try that unfortunately. Looking for real world answers on whether or not you think a 6 pound gun (8-8.5 loaded) in a 7 prc is a bad idea??

Either caliber I choose will have a brake on it and I have a Maven 4-24x50 RS 5 to top it off with. What do you guys think??

Attachments

• 7E1A19DA-F9AA-43C5-841B-839BD3AA11E7.jpeg
    7E1A19DA-F9AA-43C5-841B-839BD3AA11E7.jpeg
    887.2 KB · Views: 113
I haven’t shot a Seekins 7prc but I have shot a Havak 6.5 prc and a Christensen arms 7 prc, so not an apples to apples comparison but I didn’t find the 7 prc to be uncomfortable in the recoil department at all. Those elements are slick rifles, at some point I’ll end up with one. I think for me on Caliber choice it comes down to ammo availability. I haven’t seen much on the shelves for 7 but the 6.5 is at every shop I go to. I’m sure at some point it will be that way for the 7 too. I’m going to build a semi custom Tikka in 7 prc but I know it’ll be a while before I see ammo regularly.

Sevens

WKR
I have an 8.5 pound 7PRC. While noticeable, the recoil is completely acceptable and manageable (and that is with no brake).

Marshfly

WKR
There are a couple of Element threads here whee guys have remarked about 300 WM versions and the reasonable recoil. That tells me the 7PRC would be even more so.
The real question will be is the extra half pound for the 7 worth it to you.

I think about this question differently now than I used to. The reality is, 7 PRC recoil will be in the ballpark of 40% greater than 6.5 PRC recoil. Up to the individual how that affects them, and no offense to anyone intended, but I don't trust anyone on the internet that says they tried their buddy's 7 PRC or any caliber rifle for that matter and they had no issue with the recoil. Someone that tries their buddy's rifle shot a round or two. Shoot it all day at the range, put 30+ rounds down range, then make that judgment. I've wound up with black and blue shoulder pockets from rifles of much much lower recoil energy if you plan to actually spend days at the range with it to get really proficient and comfortable with it. The weight of the rifle makes a massive difference as well.

Last edited:
I have a couple lightweight tikka builds that weigh within a few ounces of each other.
Ones a 6.5 saum, the other a 7-300 wsm improved (identical capacity as a 7 prc).
Shooting suppressed there's hardly a noticeable difference between the two with 140s in the 6.5 and 180s in the 7,
the recoil is so close that I truly feel a magnum 6.5 is a waste of time..

OP
bridgerlabau
There are a couple of Element threads here whee guys have remarked about 300 WM versions and the reasonable recoil. That tells me the 7PRC would be even more so.
I’ve also toyed with that weight consideration. I’m thinking for the extra umpf the 7 is worth the half pound. However I wouldn’t truly know unless I shot them side by side!

OP
bridgerlabau
I think about this question differently now than I used to. The reality is, 7 PRC recoil will be in the ballpark of 40% greater than 6.5 PRC recoil. Up to the individual how that affects them, and no offense to anyone intended, but I don't trust anyone on the internet that says they tried their buddy's 7 PRC or any caliber rifle for that matter and they had no issue with the recoil. Someone that tries their buddy's rifle shot a round or two. Shoot it all day at the range, put 30+ rounds down range, then make that judgment. I've wound up with black and blue shoulder pockets from rifles of much much lower recoil energy if you plan to actually spend days at the range with it to get really proficient and comfortable with it. The weight of the rifle makes a massive difference as well.
This is a good point, the 7 will probably be fine for a few shots here and there, however long days shooting multiple times at the range may be a completely different story

I completely agree most guys shooting their buddies rifle are only going to shoot a few rounds. We broke in my buddies 7 prc following Christensen’s break in procedure which is 50 rounds. I ended up doing most of the shooting that day and really didn’t find the recoil that punishing, nothing near my Tikka 300 win mag before I put a brake on it. I am curious to see how the recoil is on his rifle without the brake though.

OP
bridgerlabau
I have a couple lightweight tikka builds that weigh within a few ounces of each other.
Ones a 6.5 saum, the other a 7-300 wsm improved (identical capacity as a 7 prc).
Shooting suppressed there's hardly a noticeable difference between the two with 140s in the 6.5 and 180s in the 7,
the recoil is so close that I truly feel a magnum 6.5 is a waste of time..
This is exactly what I need to hear, real world opinions. Thank you!

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys looking for opinions on what to buy in a Seekins Element 6.5 PRC or 7 PRC??

I’m thinking I’m pretty sold on the Seekins Element, living in Boise and having Seekins fairly close is very encouraging. Seems like everyone has had very good experiences as well with Seekins. I held the Element and the PH2 in person and was immediately sold on the Element from a weight and size perspective. My question is how much more significant is the recoil on the 7 vs the 6.5 on a gun this light?? I would love to shoot them side by side but no shop is gonna let me try that unfortunately. Looking for real world answers on whether or not you think a 6 pound gun (8-8.5 loaded) in a 7 prc is a bad idea??

Either caliber I choose will have a brake on it and I have a Maven 4-24x50 RS 5 to top it off with. What do you guys think??
What bullet weight would you be using for each chambering?

Largest game animal you would hunt with this rifle and the max distance for hunting that animal?
If it is a apples to apples comparison between the two in terms of weight of guns, when shooting heavy for caliber bullets in each, the 7mm is going to have more recoil, just because you are shooting a heavier bullet. Not even taking into account that the 7mm has more case capacity yet.
Even if both rifles had the same brakes or suppressors, a brake or suppressor doesn't work until after the base of the bullet exits the muzzle. So, with each rifle, your initial recoil impulse will be as if the rifle was not braked.
Bullet weight does make a difference in recoil, even when comparing recoil in the same cartridge

OP
bridgerlabau
What bullet weight would you be using for each chambering?

Largest game animal you would hunt with this rifle and the max distance for hunting that animal?
If it is a apples to apples comparison between the two in terms of weight of guns, when shooting heavy for caliber bullets in each, the 7mm is going to have more recoil, just because you are shooting a heavier bullet. Not even taking into account that the 7mm has more case capacity yet.
Even if both rifles had the same brakes or suppressors, a brake or suppressor doesn't work until after the base of the bullet exits the muzzle. So, with each rifle, your initial recoil impulse will be as if the rifle was not braked.
Bullet weight does make a difference in recoil, even when comparing recoil in the same cartridge
For the 6.5 it would be a 143, for the 7 I would be using the 175s. I want it to be an all around gun that would easily shoot 1000 yards and would like to be able to hunt elk with it. That is good information to know, thank you!

SwiftShot

WKR
Why would the 7 PRC recoil more than a 300WM? The 7 is not a hyper magnum. It is truly just a 7 Rem in a modern chamber.

I have the element in both the 6.5 PRC and the 7 PRC. I would say the recoil is noticeably different. The 6.5 is an easy shooter with no brake. When the 7 arrived in came with a brake but I did not put it on for the first range day. Pfffft who needs a brake??!! For me the 7 PRC had a very sharp recoil making it difficult to stay in the glass. I ended up putting the brake on. I think the magic ticket for me would be the PH2 for $1700 and then send it to seekins for a $550 barrel swap. You get a little more weight over the element, the barrel length of your choice and a steel receiver over aluminum. A little weight wont hurt with the 7mm PRC. You could probably sell the original 7mm PRC barrel here especially if it has zero rounds through it. If you get to northern Nevada Reno area I am happy to let you shoot both of them.

I started with the 6.5 PRC loved it and then built a 300 PRC. The 300 with a break kicks less than the 6.5 without. Just finished building the 7 PRC because it seems like the sweet spot in the middle of two greats. The 6.5 without a break is hard to see impact at times and the 300 is overkill for some situations, at least that's how I have convinced myself.....
I have a friend who's killed a pile of Elk with the 6.5, it will do the job.