Seekins Havak Element vs. Custom anTi, Proof, Manners, etc

opti12206

FNG
I am wanting to put together a lightweight mountain rifle chambered in .300 PRC. This will be primarily used for elk hunting and playing around on the range out to 1,500 yards. Ideally, the base rifle would be ~6.5#. I am hoping for the all in weight to be under 9.5# with a NF scope (model TBD). I like the ATACR's, but they are heavy. I have an NX8 4-32 on another rifle that I like and it's ~7oz lighter than the ATACR so that may be an option as well.

In my search for lightweight factory rifles I stumbled across the Seekins Havak Element. At 6# and $2,700 it seems like a great deal. I have also priced out a full custom rifle utilizing anTi action, 24" Proof carbon barrel, Manners MCS-PH stock, Hawkins bottom metal, Trigger Tech trigger, etc at ~$5,500.

Is there any reason to spend 2x much on the custom versus the factory Seekins? I don't mind spending the money on a custom if there are actual gains to be had? Are there any other factory rifles that fit my criteria I should be looking at. I just put a TBAC Ultra 5 in jail as well that will likely live on this rifle if it makes any difference.

Thanks!

DaleW

WKR
The full custom won't be worth it with a 7 prc. I'd absolutely go with the factory seekins. I'm in the exact same boat, and when it comes time to pick up a 7 prc I'll be buying a havak element instead of going "custom". If you were wanting a 7 rem mag, I'd say definitely full custom because a smith can cut the chamber however you want, but the prc eliminates the need for a custom reamer.

Kurts86

WKR
I have nearly the identical custom build you mentioned and the Seekins is the way to go. The Seekins gives up almost nothing to a custom build.

eoperator

WKR
About my only complaint with my element is the sticky "paint on paint" feel to the bolt throw. Maybe I am just spoiled by slick custom actions.

idahodave

WKR
My PH2 was a little less than polished when I first bought it,…. but an hour on the couch working the action while watching TV smoothed it out considerably. A couple of hundred rounds later, and it’s as smooth as butter.

dave

TxLite

WKR
Not sure where you are located but I’ve been contemplating selling my custom 300prc because it just sits lately and I built a 7prc that will see more use around here. Ideally would be looking to sell locally in Houston area due to high shipping costs. It’s in the realm of what you’re looking for weight wise. Just throwing it out there.

Weatherby MKV Action
24” 9tw proof barrel
AG chalk branch that has been glass bedded (comes with pillars already installed)
Nx8 4-32 ffp in seekins rings
Cerakoted in midnight bronze
Trigger tech flat face trigger
Silencerco brake

Built by Aaron Roberts of Roberts Precision Rifles last year, and it is a hammer like he is known for

F8BD0B9C-A625-4C6A-8120-2D4CF09F5779.jpeg

OP
O

opti12206

FNG
Nice looking rifle and actually sort of tempting. I’ll PM you if I want to know more about it.

I went and handled a Seekins Havak Element today and overall it felt pretty nice. The action was smooth and trigger was great on the one I handled. Plus they are really light. The stock did feel a little cheap to me though. I’m not sure if they actually use an injection molded stock, but that’s sort of what it felt like to me.

Woitey

FNG
The only thing I don't like about the Seekins bolt line is the length of pull. 13.25 is about a half inch too short for me.

I have a Seekins element in 7mm PRC. I went to a long range school this weekend with it. It cleanly verified out to 1000 yards. At the end we had a round robin milk jug challenge. I hit the jugs every time they came to me and I got 3 our of 4 out to 825. There were several full custom rifles right up to a 32 pound 300 PRC.

I have an Early Canadian made Firece Fury 300 PRC with a full custom load development at Unknown Munitions. Shoots small groups and 2988 fps with Berger 215. I would let it go for $1600. It just rocks me and I cant stay in the scope so I am letting it go.

I guess my point is any quality rifle will be on par with custom guns unless going down that route is just fun for you. I am in no position to judge for sure. Also weight is your friend if you are planning to go out to 1500 yards. That 32 pound 300 PRC was so fun to shoot with almost no felt recoil and you had full view of the target until impact! Its fun to watch a vapor trail all the way out to Sasquatch.

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Well mine finished out at 8.44lbs. I was shooting for 7.5-8lbs. This is with the seekins pic rail on the fore end of the stock, the seekins muzzle brake and nightforce 6 screw rings and bubble top cap so definitely some places to lose a little weight. I’ll run it as is for now and see how she shoots this weekend.

OP
O

opti12206

FNG
I went ahead and bought a AnTi action so I'm committed to the custom route at this point. I'm currently planning on a 20" Proof barrel which will be paired with a TBAC Ultra 5. It should make for a nice compact package that hopefully tames the recoil.

I personally wouldn't want a 6# 300PRC.. A friend of mine has a seekins element in 300 PRC and he's wishing it was a touch heavier and wished he went with a PH2. Magnums like to JUMP when they go boom.

I had my PH2 7prc rebarreled to 22" and with a suppressor its about as much as I want a gun to jump so I can still maintain eyes on target

OP
O

opti12206

FNG
I'm planning on the ready to hunt weight to come in at 9-9.5#. Hopefully, with a can it's not too bad recoil wise. I figure it's easier to add weight if needed versus trying to remove it later.

I personally wouldn't want a 6# 300PRC.. A friend of mine has a seekins element in 300 PRC and he's wishing it was a touch heavier and wished he went with a PH2. Magnums like to JUMP when they go boom.

I had my PH2 7prc rebarreled to 22" and with a suppressor its about as much as I want a gun to jump so I can still maintain eyes on target
Did you send it to Seekins to rebarrel? Any idea if they’ll do shorter thsn 22”? I’m considering buying a PH2 and sending it for a rebarrel, I plan on suppressing it and want a shorter barrel but I like the weight of the PH2.

Did you send it to Seekins to rebarrel? Any idea if they’ll do shorter thsn 22”? I’m considering buying a PH2 and sending it for a rebarrel, I plan on suppressing it and want a shorter barrel but I like the weight of the PH2.
yes seekins rebarreled it to 22" and their turn around time is very fast

I'm not sure what lengths they'll do but 20"doesn't seem unreasonable