Self Bow Handle/Grip

Duuane

FNG
I have a self bow that I made a couple years ago. Due to shoulder surgery, I set it aside for some time. I'm back at it, and I'd like to improve my shooting with it. The bow is made of hop hornbeam/iron wood, that I cut and split from my property. Unfortunately, I fashioned it similar to a board bow that I made, don't care for, and don't shoot. It is very much a flat bow, with only a slight crown on the back, so the handle is very similar in thickness to the limbs. It is a bend in the handle bow. It's 68" long, backed with rawhide. The handle is 4" with about a 1" fade top and bottom. It's 5/8" thick, and 1 13/64" wide. I don't care for the flat feel of the handle and would like to build the grip out from the belly about 1" to give a better feel, but I don't want to make it wider. Because it bends in the handle, I figured that trying to glue any kind of wood to it would fail. Can anyone recommend a flexible material and securement method that would work? I'm thinking 4" grip with maybe a 1" taper above and below.

LostArra

WKR
I've used layers of split leather stacked like a pyramid to get the shape you want then wrapped with small-diameter leather cord. For the pieces of stacked leather I used an old belt.

Are you shooting off your hand/knuckle? During the cord wrapping you can insert a small wedge to act as a rest.

Photo included to show cord wrap with rest. This osage bow does not bend thru the handle but the same technique applies. I also added some layers to the back just to make the grip more to my liking.

osagesnake.JPG

OP
D

Duuane

FNG
I think I could make that work. I have some leather but it's much too thin to work. I never thought of an old belt. I have tite bond glue, is that what you would recommend? I have been shooting off my hand but really care for it, so I plan to add a rest of some kind.

LostArra

WKR
I think I used Tightbond for the stacked leather and to adhere the stack to the bow. I then applied a thin coat of Duco. Let the Duco dry so it's tacky but not wet then wrap the leather cord. I would suggest a test wrap with no glue to insure you have the right length. I tucked the tag ends similar to how you would on a string serving.

I would make the leather stack first but not glued to the bow until you get it shaped for your preferred grip. If you let the stacked and glued leather set overnight you can use a file on the stack to smooth edges and I even shaped it on a belt sander. That is all harder if it's already glued to the bow. Once it's all shaped then glue it to the bow. Wrap or clamp it snug but don't squeeze out the glue and let it set 24 hours then wrap with the cording.

Sorry if that's all too wordy. (My wife says I give instructions like I'm talking to a preschooler)

LostArra

WKR
Pecan bow with no stacked leather but cord wrap. I think I used Tightbond for this but let it set for a few minutes so it wasn't wet when wrapping

The rest was made with a thick piece of belt leather shaped with a file.

17055255958341871903286927692053.jpg17055256354867037915326175921373.jpg

Attachments

• 17055255958341871903286927692053.jpg
    17055255958341871903286927692053.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 1