Self guided or trespass mule deer hunts?

I'm a Appalachia hunter wanting to plan a hunt out west next year for mule deer. Mostly I'm a diy guy but considering I've never been further west than Kansas for hunting I'm thinking of doing a self guided hunt to get my feet under me. The web is loaded with outfitters and ranchs offering such but I wanted to hear from some experienced guy and girls on places they would suggest. Really hoping to do this in 2018 so any advice is welcoming. Also going by myself. For some reason people are all about it until they find out you won't have a guide and will have a couple thousand tied up in a trip with no guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
Almost forgot. I was looking into Montana, SD, and Wyoming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry everyone bailed on you but that isn't the mindset you want in a partner anyway.

I would just go diy public land.

Edit: guided public land I would consider.

I guess it depends on how much adventure your looking for? Total diy pack in hunt vs room and board at a ranch or something in between.

Personally I have an itch for horse camp/hunt in a wilderness area. I have no time or money to own horses myself.

Last edited:
We must have the same friends. Mine bail on me most of the time. I started talking about doing a western hunt and they find evrery reason why it will cost too much and so on. I hope to go in the next 2 years.

Another vote for DIY. You find yourself a nice place and it's productive for a long time for you, family, friends, etc. and the satisfaction is high.

vanish

WKR
If you're serious, you might want to buy a point in Wyoming. Will increase the places you can apply.