Sell or not sell

7mm-08

WKR
Sorry to hear about your situation. Like many have echoed above, your outcome is not a linear equation. Doctors project outcomes based on experience and not very good data coming from terrible tracking systems. Your future is not yet set in stone. Remember, it's called practicing medicine for a reason. It sort of feels from my reading of your post that you just want to do something. Just wait and see how this all shakes out in a year or five before you make any rash decisions. Hoping you a speedy and positive recovery.

When I was 25 I did a complete quad tendon tear in my left knee. It was a year and a half after I tore my ACL in my right knee. Doctors told me I'd never really be able to run and mobility could be limited. I'm 39 and ran several 5K's last year and do lots of miles working out and riding my air bike.

I would maybe wait to sell anything for a minute. I would sell anything down the road that you're not crazy about or can't see using. I had an extra muzzleloader I was going to keep for my boys that I got a good deal on a few years ago. Now the newer stuff is already more advanced.

Good luck and I'll say a prayer for you!

grfox92

WKR
No offense to any MDs, but they are very often wrong about outcomes. Ask me how I know.

Don't sell anything. Work hard and you can get hopefully get back into the mountains.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Doctors are wrong.....ALOT.
I was told id need surgery for compressed and degenerative discs.......20 years ago. I can do anything i want still, Did not have surgery. Back country hunt, hike, mountain bike, run, lift weights etc.

6 years ago I was told from an annual physical i needed to start taking meds for thyriod. Took if for several months and then quit taking it. Blood work ever since has come back good and says i dont need it. Interestingly at the either 30 or 60 days taking it, the original doc did follow up work and said i need to INCREASE dose...Nope, not doing it.

5 years ago i tore right rotator. Almost a year later they say i will be 20% disabled in my right arm. Today I totally disagree. No range of motion or strenght issues. No pain.

Just watched a video of a guy taking a sheep in Alaska. Late 60's within about a year of double knee replacement. Doctors told him no way...i think he told them to Piss off!!...lol

ONLY you can decide what you can and cant do. Personally i would not sell anything.

Last edited:

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
while I didn‘t have to be fused or have surgery, I had a compression fracture of my T3-T6 with the T6 being pretty bad. Then 3 months after got into a car crash and had pretty bad whiplash.

Focus on recovery and get back at it. I am doing all the things I was doing before.

Wags

WKR
I detached / tore my bicep tendon off the bone during ducks season. 2 weeks later I had a gun in my hand... albeit a little slower and calculated in my mount and swing but was able to get it done.

I've recovered from numerous serious injuries. The one thing I learned...Recovery is just as much mental as physical.

CJohnson

WKR
Wait until you're further along the road of recovery before you even consider this. I took hunting for granted when I was younger and I wish I had some of the family guns that got dispersed through wills and stuff. It's not so much the actual guns, but the memories. Praying for a quick recovery for you.

rclouse79

WKR
I would hang on to everything. I sold my Suzuki drz 450 after I had a kid and thought it wouldn’t fit my new lifestyle. Now I would like to have an atv or motorcycle and it is a hell of a lot harder to justify buying one than it would have been to hang on to the original.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Your future is not yet set in stone. Remember, it's called practicing medicine for a reason. It sort of feels from my reading of your post that you just want to do something. Just wait and see how this all shakes out in a year or five before you make any rash decisions. Hoping you a speedy and positive recovery.
Older friend of mine (Vietnam-era Marine) was in a bad motorcycle wreck in his yute and endured multiple surgeries on his leg and hip over many years. Tough as nails, he was a local legend duck and quail hunter. Plowed through all the muck and laps and stumpholes for a long time, somehow.

I only hunted with him once. I took him to an easy spot after turkeys one time (he'd never been) and, seeing it, I don't know how he toughed it down the furrowed field edge. But he did, and I "showed" him a hot gobbling tom coming to us off the roost, though we never laid eyes on the bastard. Or at least I didn't, from the opposite side of the tree. Lennie never said one way or the other. The gobbler just shut up and never apppeared, as far as I know. I hope my whispered instructions, blind but forceful, didn't spook the bird.

Late in life he was in the fancy hospital for a follow-up surgery to The One that was supposed to be the be-all-and-end-all whiz-bang surgery to beat all surgeries. It hadn't worked out that way, so he was back.

He told me he told the doc, "Now I know why y'all call it practicing medicine" and said the doc was not amused.

My friend had a good attitude about it though, and limped through a good many more miles before he cased the old guns and hung it up.

Good luck to you. Fight the good fight.

mkbubolz

FNG
I recently had an accident and shattered some vertebras in my spine. 2 weeks ago I had the bones removed and titanium installed. It’s going to be a long road to haul according to the doctor. I have a 8 and 9 year old Boy and Girl. They enjoy deer hunting in shooting houses and fair weather duck hunts but I wouldn’t say either are bit by the bug if you will. This brings me to my thought process. Do I sell things like magnum rifles and or 12guage, 10 gauge shotguns, spotters and packs Back packing tents. The doctors not just one say there is no way I’m doing pack in hunts but they love to see me work towards that.
My wife says keep it in case the kids want it and or I get better. I hate watching stuff just sit. As of today money is not an issue so I don’t need the money. I also don’t see my self shooting 3.5” goose loads ever again. I’m just torn on what’s best. Not to ramble more but by the time my kids would use this stuff there probably will be way better stuff who knows.

Last thing surgery went great. Way better than they expected once in there. I hurt like crazy but feel like im light years ahead of where they told me id be on week 2.
Hold! You’ll be kicking yourself in years if you get rid of them.

Doctors are wrong.....ALOT.
I was told id need surgery for compressed and degenerative discs.......20 years ago. I can do anything i want still, Did not have surgery. Back country hunt, hike, mountain bike, run, lift weights etc.

6 years ago I was told from an annual physical i needed to start taking meds for thyriod. Took if for several months and then quit taking it. Blood work ever since has come back good and says i dont need it. Interestingly at the either 30 or 60 days taking it, the original doc did follow up work and said i need to INCREASE dose...Nope, not doing it.

5 years ago i tore right rotator. Almost a year later they say i will be 20% disabled in my right arm. Today I totally disagree. No range of motion or strenght issues. No pain.

Just watched a video of a guy taking a sheep in Alaska. Late 60's within about a year of double knee replacement. Doctors told him no way...i think he told them to Piss off!!...lol

ONLY you can decide what you can and cant do. Personally i would not sell anything.
I will say a lot of what doctors predict is based on the average person which is NOT a go getter, bust my ass at all cost, etc. So many, just want a pill or quick fix, instead of working hard. Those that do, represent a small percentage of the population. They mind/body can overcome a lot with determination. I suspect a lot of us on RS are a part of this small %.

I agree with you.

Weldor

WKR
Been there done that. Had a failed back surgery, cut nerves and all. (23 yrs, ago)Favorite rifle before was 338 win. mag 12 auto5 and 50 TC pro hunter. Took 7 years before I could feel my legs again. Walked every day except when the pain would not let me. 62 now still hunt as much as possible. Pack has to be lighter of course. My gear now is 308 Savage ultralite predator, Fierce Fury and Carbon CT Rogue 6.5 prc's. 20 gauge EAA semiauto. Muzzleloader had to go more of a shove than a fast tap. I say Carry on and don't quit.

You hear so many stories about people doing better than the doc said, I often wonder if they say that stuff to piss you off and motivate you. “I’ll never walk again?” F. U. Watch this…. Hold my beer….

Of course you’ll have limitations and you want to listen to what your body tells you. But don’t sell all your toys just yet.

OP
S
Thank you for everyone’s responses.
I went and got my first check up yesterday.
All good minus some nerve damage that will be pissy for awhile.
Sounds like a long road but as stated im going get it through it. I got the green light to start physical therapy . Also the green light to walk on the treadmill.
My goal is do 5 miles inclined by September 1

tracker12

WKR
I am on in for selling things you won't likely use while the value is higher. If you recover there will always be new and improve to add.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
I just sold a bunch of stuff that I had been holding onto for years. Mostly guns. I've been holding onto them for years in case I became a grandfather of kids bit by the bug as hard as I was. I finally realized that day wasn't coming and holding on to stuff that just gathered dust wasn't doing me any good.

As I listen to your story I think to myself that you may feel very good again some day - but are you going to pick up a 10 gauge and shoot it again if you do? I probably wouldn't. As one guy said, maybe I pick up a 20 gauge and duck hunt again - but not the 10 gauge or the 12 with 3.5" shells (I've owned both). And maybe you shoot a 30 06 with a break on it and sell your 300? So what.

Selling guns that kick a healthy grown mans a-- just a little bit isn't giving up, it's readjusting your gear to your new set of circumstances. I'm 56 and injured my knee elk hunting in the back county 2 years ago. Doc said I could still hunt but should wear a brace and be careful. This year I got a lighter rifle, lighter hiking boots, scrubbed about 5 pounds of stuff out that I didn't really need and I'm going in deep and steep this year again. I didn't give up, but I did make some adjustments based on a new set of circumstances.

Luckyrxc

FNG
I’m glad to hear you are on the mend. Id suggest you already have enough to deal with in healing and caring for your family. The ‘sell or keep’ decision can be put off awhile. Wait and the choice will be more clear later.