Selling sheep horns

Ask 10 people and you’ll get 10 diff answers.

I’m on an early ford bronco forum and this question always comes up. Bottom line “what are they worth to you?” That’s the real Q.

If I were you - try to dig around to find comps and compare quality/type of yours to the ones you find that sold. Then you’ll have a ball park of prices and compare that to your “own value”.

If that meets your criteria, then sell them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad shot a California Bighorn in 1966 near LA. He was supposed to give me and my brother each a horn. But he became a broke alcoholic and eventually pawned them, I believe for 20 bucks each. I would pay a lot more to replace them and surprise my brother with one.

Last edited:
That is not entirely correct.
When the horns or antlers are detached from the skull they can be sold in
Alaska.
They are usually bought by artists for various types of artwork.
Also they are sought after by the handgun grip manufacturers.

Rob Rowen Custom Grips is a grip maker in Virginia
He has a web site.

Bob

OP
AK_Skeeter
You might want to check with the Alaska State Troopers. It's illegal to sell big game trophies unless you have a permit.
Not true as long as the antler is removed from the skull plate or the antler is a shed pickup. It is illegal to sell a set of antlers attached to the skull plate.

5 AAC 92.200. Purchase and sale of game.
(a) In accordance with AS 16.05.920(a) and 16.05.930(e), the purchase, sale, or barter of game or any part of game is permitted except as provided in this section.
(b) Except as provided in 5 AAC 92.031, a person may not purchase, sell, advertise, or otherwise offer for sale: (1) any part of a brown bear, except an article of handicraft made from the fur of a brown bear, and except skulls and hides with claws attached of brown bears harvested in areas where the bag limit is two bears per regulatory year by permit issued under 5 AAC 92.031;
(2) a big game trophy, or a black bear trophy of any kind;
(3) a big game animal skull, except the skull of a black bear, wolf, or wolverine, or a horn or antler that is still attached to any part of the skull;
(4) the antler of a caribou taken in Unit 23, unless the antler is a naturally shed antler or has been made into an article of handicraft;
(5) unsealed marten taken in Units 1 - 7, and 15, or unsealed fisher taken in Units 1 - 5, except as provided in 5 AAC 92.170(a);
(6) unsealed beaver taken in Units 1 - 11 and Units 13 - 17;
(7) unsealed land otter, lynx, wolf, or wolverine;
(8) the meat of big game and small game, except hares and rabbits;
(9) the gallbladder of a bear.

Last edited:
OP
AK_Skeeter
That is not entirely correct.
When the horns or antlers are detached from the skull they can be sold in
Alaska.
They are usually bought by artists for various types of artwork.
Also they are sought after by the handgun grip manufacturers.

Rob Rowen Custom Grips is a grip maker in Virginia
He has a web site.

Bob
Correct. My wife is an artist.
antler_art.jpg

Might be worth a phone call to Alaska Fur Exchange in Anchorage. I have seen bighorn sheep horns for sale in their showroom and retail department. Don’t remember the prices though. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

cbeard64

WKR
They should be sought after by taxidermists for display with full body mounts.

My wild guess on price would be a couple hundred dollars each.

Not true as long as the antler is removed from the skull plate or the antler is a shed pickup. It is illegal to sell a set of antlers attached to the skull plate.

5 AAC 92.200. Purchase and sale of game.
(a) In accordance with AS 16.05.920(a) and 16.05.930(e), the purchase, sale, or barter of game or any part of game is permitted except as provided in this section.
(b) Except as provided in 5 AAC 92.031, a person may not purchase, sell, advertise, or otherwise offer for sale: (1) any part of a brown bear, except an article of handicraft made from the fur of a brown bear, and except skulls and hides with claws attached of brown bears harvested in areas where the bag limit is two bears per regulatory year by permit issued under 5 AAC 92.031;
(2) a big game trophy, or a black bear trophy of any kind;
(3) a big game animal skull, except the skull of a black bear, wolf, or wolverine, or a horn or antler that is still attached to any part of the skull;
(4) the antler of a caribou taken in Unit 23, unless the antler is a naturally shed antler or has been made into an article of handicraft;
(5) unsealed marten taken in Units 1 - 7, and 15, or unsealed fisher taken in Units 1 - 5, except as provided in 5 AAC 92.170(a);
(6) unsealed beaver taken in Units 1 - 11 and Units 13 - 17;
(7) unsealed land otter, lynx, wolf, or wolverine;
(8) the meat of big game and small game, except hares and rabbits;
(9) the gallbladder of a bear.

Good to know. Thanks for the clarification.