Semi-live hunt with Jim in AZ

Slim Jim

WKR
I figured I would do a semi-live hunt since things are slowing down for most. I'll do my best to keep everyone in the loop during the day each day with what's happening during the hunt. This hunt will be an OTC archery deer hunt in AZ. I've hunted this area for the past 5 years and this year I'm giving myself 9 days to try and get it done. Leaving tomorrow morning from Vegas and stopping in unit 15 to try and stick a buck before my 2014 tag expires then heading south to my area in unit 22. This year I'll be hunting out of a base camp right next to wilderness and hike in about a mile each morning to a good vantage point for glassing. I'll be solo until Saturday when a friend will be joining me. Hopefully with the cold front that's rolling in tonight thru Thursday the rut will really kick in and make for a good hunt! Can't wait to see what bucks show up this year!

Jimmy

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Thanks guys!
As Hardstalk (Andrew) replied is the one who will be meeting up with me on Saturday.
Earlier today I shot only 12 arrows and made sure my last shot was money before leaving.

After that I had to meet a friend so that I could borrow his trailer. When I hooked up the trailer to my hitch it held the trailer to high and the insert hitch for the sway bars didn't have adjustment to lower it. Luckily my buddy just traded me trucks for the hunt. Big thanks to him. Once we swapped trucks the running lights didn't work. Things were not looking good but we soon figured out that one of his fuses were bad.
Finally all loaded up and ready to go! I'm heading out at 4:00 in the morning.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Well this morning started interesting. Had blizzard like conditions in the desert. Located some deer but couldn't make out if any bucks were with the does before something spooked them and busted out.
They were on the side of this mtn

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I just got into Kingman to buy my 2015 license and tag. It took 2 hours which should of only taken 20 min. Big rigs sliding off roads and fender benders held traffic to a stand still. Crazy in the desert!

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Been stuck on the I-40 for almost 2 hrs!
They shut it down if anyone is traveling
Sucks but as long as I get to my spot for opener I'm good

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Well I finally made it in last night around 8:00
Heading out now for the opener now with about 6" of fresh snow! I feel like I'm hunting up north
Happy new year!

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I'm into them now! I found a real nice 4x5 that I think was the big 3 from last year. Only problem is he is with 3 other young bucks and about 6 does. My phoneskope won't line up for pics but I'll get it. I'm 200 yards above them right now

I'm into them now! I found a real nice 4x5 that I think was the big 3 from last year. Only problem is he is with 3 other young bucks and about 6 does. My phoneskope won't line up for pics but I'll get it. I'm 200 yards above them right now

Slim, you are killing me. I thought I was winding down the season :) Good luck and Happy New Year. Kill'em