Sept In the Southern Brooks and Keeping Meat Cold

Slugz

WKR
This question came up today in our planning.
How many days can we keep the meat in the field? Will it be cold enough to go 6 or 7 days before extraction?

We are in a spot that cannot offer extraction with a meat run. Need to float out to another lake.
Am I passing on a legal bull day 1? Or can I keep it from spoiling?

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
After sleeping overnight on it I think Ill take a thermometer with us.

I was sheep hunting in the Brooks in the middle of August 2020 and we did as Mooster noted with the meat and the meat from the previous client. Days warmed up to the 50's/60's, while the nights were around 32, but it was abnormally nice for the time I was there. 2019, my buddy hunted in the same spot and time and he had a huge blizzard during that time. Unless things really are warm, you should be good temperature-wise, if you follow good field care.

alaska80

FNG
We have kept meat good for a week with daytime highs in the 70s and night time lows in the 50s.
Having hunted the Brooks numerous times, if you are even minimally competent in meat care you will have zero issues in September.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
You may want to bring some citrus powder ( my preference) along. Huge blow flies could be an issue. I would recommend meat bags made for moose made from cotton and duct tape. A couple flies can make a mess. A small soot fire under the tarp. Have a great time and go for it n figuring it out.

It's not as much as it being cold as it is about getting the heat out and kept dry. Shade during the day with air flowing around it and it will stay good longer than what you would think. Moving from lake to lake, floating, it is imperative to not get the meat wet or it will spoil quick.