Seriously overwhelmed with picking transporter

Herbie03

Lil-Rokslider
...and I thought the lower 48 was difficult.
It's like opening a box of chocolates and trying to decide which one has the caramel center. With out a chart or someone to help you pick the right piece, you've almost got to take a bite before you know what you're gonna get. (a slight Forest Gump reference).
Go here, go there. Don't do that, do that, it's not that bad.
I can't/won't hit the easy button (spend more for an outfitter), but damn!
Any input on 60 inch club or Aniak Air Guides?
Anybody just want to pm with a prime spot and a cheap (er) transport? :geek:

PA Hunter

WKR
I second the diy YouTube videos I watched them all 20 times. Then I started emailing the hunters . I also asked for references off transporters I saw on YouTube and called all the hunters past 2 years and was amazed what they told me. Some transporters photo shopped other hunters moose. Some shot moose but had horrible experience ect....
Most of the hunters were happy to talk to me.

OP
H

Herbie03

Lil-Rokslider
Great tactic, but how do you sort through them all? Must be 100s of them.

VernAK

WKR
If an Alaskan Air Transporter is begging for business, there may be a reason:

A. No repeat customers because of poor service or area.

B. It's a new start-up company and in that case may not have personal landing areas of consequence or may dump customers in another transporter's area.

C. Pricing is well above the competition.

VernAK

WKR
I picked a transporter and basically had to almost beg him to take me. He asked my experience moose hunting and was satisfied with my response so I was actually relieved he was picky who he takes.

Friends in the air transport business have may horror stories of customers that just aren't prepared for a week in the bush and the cards that Mother Nature may deal. So many newbies think if they have an InReach or Sat phone that someone will rush to their aid.

Maverick940

Banned
My two pilots also do transporter and air charter stuff. Their biggest complaint about some of their resident clients and a lot of their first-time non-resident clients, is receiving SAT phone calls or InReach text messages at all hours of the night, requesting immediate evacuation or panicking about whatever little thing that might not be going right. SAT phones and InReach are nice, but use inn moderation (lol).

AKducks

FNG
I think First you need to pick an area (like hey I want to fly into Unit XXX, or I want to hunt Range XX) then start looking for transporters, if you search the Alaska outdoor forum you should be able to find good transporters for that area. you can also contact the site owner (Micheal Strahan) who does a hunting planning business, from what I understand he normally gives a lot of info freely and would probably tell you a good transporter to contact.

hope that helps