SG Grumman Jacket Sizing

novcie870

WKR
I just wanted to post this for anyone considering the Grumman and struggling with sizing. I had tried to find a solid answer on sizing and couldn't... and since we have to order online, wait for it to show up, try it on, send it back if its not the right size, etc. I know how having access to answers from others who have purchased is so helpful, so here you go.

I am 6'0, 185ish pounds. I'm an average build. I thought for sure a large with layers would be perfect for me, but I ordered one, tried to make it work but found it was just too big. Not necessarily the cut as much as it just seemed really puffy on me...like the Michelin man. I ended up selling my large. I had decided to go a different direction for insulation, but saw a medium on the classifieds and decided to give it one last try because for the weight, treated down, and warmth, I really wanted it to work. My medium showed up today, and voila! It fits perfect! I tried it on with a merino base, klamath hoody, medium Grumman, large FL vapor.. and perfect! Also tried it on with everything, but instead of the vapor, with my Kuiu XL kutana softshell (my favorite set up for late elk and mule deer) and...also perfect! I feel like this set up with work for so many scenarios and its not bulky at all, but toasty warm!

Again, just offering some insight for others who may be torn between sizing!

Happy Hunting!

I just wanted to post this for anyone considering the Grumman and struggling with sizing. I had tried to find a solid answer on sizing and couldn't... and since we have to order online, wait for it to show up, try it on, send it back if its not the right size, etc. I know how having access to answers from others who have purchased is so helpful, so here you go.

I am 6'0, 185ish pounds. I'm an average build. I thought for sure a large with layers would be perfect for me, but I ordered one, tried to make it work but found it was just too big. Not necessarily the cut as much as it just seemed really puffy on me...like the Michelin man. I ended up selling my large. I had decided to go a different direction for insulation, but saw a medium on the classifieds and decided to give it one last try because for the weight, treated down, and warmth, I really wanted it to work. My medium showed up today, and voila! It fits perfect! I tried it on with a merino base, klamath hoody, medium Grumman, large FL vapor.. and perfect! Also tried it on with everything, but instead of the vapor, with my Kuiu XL kutana softshell (my favorite set up for late elk and mule deer) and...also perfect! I feel like this set up with work for so many scenarios and its not bulky at all, but toasty warm!

Again, just offering some insight for others who may be torn between sizing!

Happy Hunting!
How was the arm length on the medium? I have long arms

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
It’s been a minute since @novcie870 ’s post but I just wanted to say thanks to him and also echo what he said.
I’m 6’ 160-165 lbs, my dress shirts sleeve length is in the 33”-34” range, dress shirt collar is 16” and my chest is about 38, maybe 39.
I just had the chance to pick up the Grumman jacket and the Medium is a great fit. I tried on a merino base layer (kuiu 145 I think), a Sitka fanatic hoody (similar in fabric weight to my Sitka heavyweight hoody and the SG Helios hoody). The Grumman fits great over those two (which I also wear in a medium, btw). I also threw on the Sitka Mountain jacket (just for the convenience of it being near my other gear I tried on) over the Grumman, and it wasn’t too bulky. And I’m pretty dang critical of if/when something is bulky, so hopefully that’s saying something.

Before buying I think my biggest concern was the sleeve length, since I have the upper body type, typically, if a medium, but I do have certain pieces that are large mostly because of the sleeve length because I HATE having sleeves that ride up my arm. Anyway this Medium Grumman is awesome. Also, the sheen isn’t anywhere near as shiny as it looks online. Also crazy how lightweight this thing is. Hope that helps someone & also shout out to the OP. I relied on it pretty heavily when trying to figure out between M & L.

Ram94

WKR
Anyone around 6’3” 200lbs have any insight on sizing? I’m usually an XL in most everything including all my Kuiu gear.

josef

FNG
I’m 6’4” 230 in an xl. Fits fine but the collar is tight. Seems to be the case with all of SG’s jackets.

OP
novcie870

novcie870

WKR
It’s been a minute since @novcie870 ’s post but I just wanted to say thanks to him and also echo what he said.
I’m 6’ 160-165 lbs, my dress shirts sleeve length is in the 33”-34” range, dress shirt collar is 16” and my chest is about 38, maybe 39.
I just had the chance to pick up the Grumman jacket and the Medium is a great fit. I tried on a merino base layer (kuiu 145 I think), a Sitka fanatic hoody (similar in fabric weight to my Sitka heavyweight hoody and the SG Helios hoody). The Grumman fits great over those two (which I also wear in a medium, btw). I also threw on the Sitka Mountain jacket (just for the convenience of it being near my other gear I tried on) over the Grumman, and it wasn’t too bulky. And I’m pretty dang critical of if/when something is bulky, so hopefully that’s saying something.

Before buying I think my biggest concern was the sleeve length, since I have the upper body type, typically, if a medium, but I do have certain pieces that are large mostly because of the sleeve length because I HATE having sleeves that ride up my arm. Anyway this Medium Grumman is awesome. Also, the sheen isn’t anywhere near as shiny as it looks online. Also crazy how lightweight this thing is. Hope that helps someone & also shout out to the OP. I relied on it pretty heavily when trying to figure out between M & L.

Soooo glad it was helpful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the post @novcie870. Sorry to bump it again but I noticed you are wearing some kuiu gear. An XL Kuiu Puffy and Guide Jacket fits me perfectly. I'm just wondering what your Kuiu to SG sizing comparison is. I found it interesting that you were running an XL Kuiu Axis.

Ram94

WKR
Thanks for the post @novcie870. Sorry to bump it again but I noticed you are wearing some kuiu gear. An XL Kuiu Puffy and Guide Jacket fits me perfectly. I'm just wondering what your Kuiu to SG sizing comparison is. I found it interesting that you were running an XL Kuiu Axis.
I’m not who you asked, but if it helps….I wear XL in everything Kuiu that I own including the DCS Guide Jacket and the Stone Glacier Grumman in XL also fits me perfectly.

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 5’11 168 athletic build and both of my Grumman down vests are medium. Pretty snug fit, so if you plan on running any thicker layers underneath go up a size.
As far as the puffy coat I can’t speak to the fit with sleeves