SG Minimalist

Looking for a new pack and money is an issue. I was looking at the SG packs and I saw the SG Minimalist priced at about what I have to spend right now. I am not a backcountry expert. Most of my hunting trips are a few nights out at a time. This fall I think I will draw a CO tag and do a 9 day hunt. I was thinking I could swing another dry bag and easily carry my gear for 9 days. Is this a good option? What are the concerns of using a couple dry bags as a pack?

Last edited:
OP
MuleyFever
Well I was planning on buying a Kifaru meat bag so it would just be another bag to strap on. I also kind of plan to make 2 trips anyway, one with meat and then go back for my gear depending on terrain.

You could pretty easily put gear into some dry bags and go with the Minimalist if you wanted for a few nights. You might even consider just ordering another SG Load Cell and stuffing a large garbage bag inside it to waterproof everything. That'd make a light pack that you could easily carry out a deer in the load sling mode. Or if you needed you could get a Kifaru Duplex or Bikini frame and do something very similar. There area couple ways to skin that cat for just a few day trip, depending on how light your gear is and how much volume it's taking up.

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up going the SG Minimalist route as well and like how versatile you can make it. I ordered mine with the 3 piece belt and access bag and total was around $430 shipped. There was an ultralight daypack that I had laying around so decided to sandwich it between the access bag and dry bag. Total is 80 L and 3.5 lbs for packing in and then the frame/ultralight pack/access bag combo is 35 L which is perfect for daytrips or overnights. Here are a couple of old pictures. Since then I added a padded spotting scope tube and upgraded to a slik 624
View attachment 15897

dotman

WKR
If your looking at the SG minimalist you should compare it to the Kifaru equivalent, bikini frame $336, long hunter lid $79, OR dry bag 55l $35, grab it with lash straps kit $40? (Can't remember off the top of me head exactly). So this totals $490 and can be purchased a little at a time as you have extra cash or find used. This setup would give you around 4300ci. Plus the option to add belt pockets and pockets onto the frame, pretty versatile.

Great thing and curse off Kifaru are all the modular options. I think my above comparison adds a little more then the minimalist option, probably can drop the grab it to be a better comparison.

Now if you get the minimalist I'm sure if you think outside the box you can make it work on a 9 day hunt.

Last edited:

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking for a new pack and money is an issue. I was looking at the SG packs and I saw the SG Minimalist priced at about what I have to spend right now. I am not a backcountry expert. Most of my hunting trips are a few nights out at a time. This fall I think I will draw a CO tag and do a 9 day hunt. I was thinking I could swing another dry bag and easily carry my gear for 9 days. Is this a good option? What are the concerns of using a couple dry bags as a pack?

I can hook u up with a discount on a kifaru.

Call me tomorrow and we can talk things over.

720 937 1418