SG pack for Elk

Tex68w

WKR
I had a Sky 5900 a few years back, I sold it when I took break from hunting. I no longer bow hunt and I am now looking for a pack for a rifle elk hunt next fall. We plan to ruck back to base camp most nights unless caught out on a herd or due to weather or day light. I was looking at the Col 4800 and wondering if it'll be enough pack for the task or if I should be looking to the 5900 once again? Any input would be much appreciated.

matthewmt

WKR
5900 handled an elk quarter fine for me this yr. I was running day hunt gear but could easily blow it out and add lid for more room. I'm more of the have and not need type but the difference isn't much between the 2 pack bag sizes.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
My 5900 is hanging in the bathroom right now after rinsing the blood out from an elk. I think it's a great size for what you described and I would not want less space.

kpk

WKR
I'm running a sky 5100 and it's plenty for day hunts. It doesn't get short on room until there's several days worth of food in it, but I can still manage.

You could always grab one of their dry bags and haul camp in using the load shelf as well.

dapesche

WKR
I'd stick with the 5900 because I like lids. As you know, 5900 compresses down nice but will give you room.

I day hunt with the solo 3600 and attach the lid. Really like that set up but may be too tight.

My hunting partner used the kuiu 3600 with lid on a 2 night mtn goat hunt. All the gear fit but he definitely had to be strategic with the packing.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

the1adman

FNG
I have a similar question. Would a smaller pack than the 5900 fit a bull elk hind quarter?

92xj

WKR
I’m a meat in the bag person. This past season I was able to fit both rears of a spike elk in my 5900 bag. Nothing else fit in the bag; used compression straps on outside for random clothes and lid held the head. That weight sucked but only need to go .9 miles to truck.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not enough difference in size and weight between the two imho- it's easy to cinch down SG pack bags to make them manageable for day hunts

Tradchef

WKR
I pack meat in the bag and on the load shelf. From bears to Mulies to elk the 5900 does just fine. The if you like meat in the bag vs load shelf the Terminus is a solid option and the Talus 6900 with center zip bag is on point.

ewade07

WKR
My brother an I one tripped a raghorn bull and camp this last year. I was using the SG Solo 3300. Fit a front, hind and miscellaneous meat on the load shelf, camp was in the bag, skull capped antlers slung around the top. If the 3300 can handle a weekend trip I imagine the Col 4800 will suffice. I did buy a 5900 pack for extended trips though as well.

dapesche

WKR
5900 was the right call.

You really don't need a 'quiver' of bags.
That 5900 is perfect. Has the side pouches on both sides. Front zip rain gear and other mis stuff. Lid for puffy, gloves, food etc.

You'll be happy.

I liked how the 5900 held my bow too.
Tried the 2800 but wasn't a fan for archery.
Solo 3600 holds the bow well for day hunts. I have the 7900 for my big hunts.

The 5900 is the sweet spot for size and layout.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Agree with the 5900 comments. I run the pack in day mode most the time when capacity is not needed.

sivart

WKR
I really prefer the 6900 because you get zippered side pockets and it only weights 3 oz more. I often run it without the lid. Crazy light.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Col 4800 is certainly lighter. If you like lids grab a sky pack. If you don’t the Col can certainly handle multi-day stuff no issue. Depends a lot on your gear, and specially how bulky your sleep system is.

Primal-Understanding

Lil-Rokslider
I second the Sky Talus 6900. The two side pockets are incredible for organization. I throw my spotter in one side and rain gear/ hat/ gloves in other. The whole pick carries so well and packa to a great width. You have the ability to pack it tall if necessary or can very easily compress the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk