SG Talus 6900

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
I think Ive settled on the SG Talus 6900. I really need the break away meat shelf option and really like the large tube style pockets on the sides for spotting scope/ quick grab items. Ive searched and researched this bag as well as been to the store and picked it up no less than 10 times lol but almost $700 is a big pill to swallow. Im ready to pull the trigger and thought Id ask again if anyone had anything negative to say about Stone Glacier packs before I go finally spend the $$

OP
L

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Well I just got back from Barneys and with me came the SG Talus 6900 Pack, Happy Birthday to myself. Its pretty awesome, Its able to compress down into a usable day pack but when its fully opened up it can haul probably more than I can carry. I also like the fact that once I get back to camp with the first load I can remove the bag completely and walk back with just the X-Frame on and haul out another load with just Meat. Still, $650 was a hell of a pill to swallow!

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
That's awesome, I hope you like it. Out of all my Kifaru and SG setups, it seems like I always end up taking my SG 6900. It works great for what I want.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
Well I just got back from Barneys and with me came the SG Talus 6900 Pack, Happy Birthday to myself. Its pretty awesome, Its able to compress down into a usable day pack but when its fully opened up it can haul probably more than I can carry. I also like the fact that once I get back to camp with the first load I can remove the bag completely and walk back with just the X-Frame on and haul out another load with just Meat. Still, $650 was a hell of a pill to swallow!
+1
CC.jpg

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
I love my SG sky talus. I backpacked through several countries in SE Asia for 3 months this past winter. Held up perfectly on all my hunts, then through all the airport/bus/train abuse without a single tear or failure. Discreet enough to not draw attention or scream hunter, stylish, and carries tons of gear in a streamlined package. Extremely comfortable with heavy loads and extended periods of walking. Couldn't see myself using anything else.

OP
L

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
I love my SG sky talus. I backpacked through several countries in SE Asia for 3 months this past winter. Held up perfectly on all my hunts, then through all the airport/bus/train abuse without a single tear or failure. Discreet enough to not draw attention or scream hunter, stylish, and carries tons of gear in a streamlined package. Extremely comfortable with heavy loads and extended periods of walking. Couldn't see myself using anything else.

I like the sound of that. Good, Almost $700 is something Id never imagined spending on a pack, but I wanted something nice for once lol

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
I like the sound of that. Good, Almost $700 is something Id never imagined spending on a pack, but I wanted something nice for once lol

My balls never quite dropped out of my stomach since the purchase. Probably the single most important and painful purchase of all my outdoor gear.

OP
L

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
why a 2nd pack? did you literally wear your first one out? if so IMPRESSIVE:)

OP
L

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
My balls never quite dropped out of my stomach since the purchase. Probably the single most important and painful purchase of all my outdoor gear.

Yean man. I went into the shop that had the pack no less than 10 times just to pick it up, finger bang it, try it on and every time I walked out without it really wanting it but thinking $700!!! HOLY FFFF!. But it was the final piece to my gear and now I can say I have some legit gear. I started off that guy in Jeans, a flannel shirt, an army surplus sleeping bag, a Coleman tent and some LL Bean boots and my basic bitch Ruger American .308. Id buy one nice piece of gear at a time and its taken 5 years or so but im finally a tiny bit equipped. The gear doesn't make me any more of a hunter or any better, but I can definitely appreciate the level of comfort it provides and weight savings.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
My negative with stone glacier bags is water storage. You spend additional money for a bladder sleeve or bottle holder. I actually used the side pockets on my 6900 for water bottles.

ianpadron

WKR
I have the exact pack. I really like it.

Only thing I don't love:

Once you get to camp and shrink the pack down, the lid flops and hangs all over the place, even with the straps pulled tight. I've learned to just take the lid off entirely and toss it in the pack to streamline everything. Might be nit-picky to some, but it actually bugged the shit out of me quite a bit on every hunt until I started stuffing the lid into the pack haha

My negative with stone glacier bags is water storage. You spend additional money for a bladder sleeve or bottle holder. I actually used the side pockets on my 6900 for water bottles.

I sandwich bladders between the frame and bag. Takes some effort when compressed but works fine. Then you have xpac protecting stuff in the bag from any leaks.

I have the exact pack. I really like it.

Only thing I don't love:

Once you get to camp and shrink the pack down, the lid flops and hangs all over the place, even with the straps pulled tight. I've learned to just take the lid off entirely and toss it in the pack to streamline everything. Might be nit-picky to some, but it actually bugged the shit out of me quite a bit on every hunt until I started stuffing the lid into the pack haha

I definitely prefer how lids sit/function on exo packs to the SG, but it works.

Bcovis

FNG
It seems like a lot of guys prefer the 6900 over the 7900. Is there a reason for that besides the 6 ounce difference?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It seems like a lot of guys prefer the 6900 over the 7900. Is there a reason for that besides the 6 ounce difference?

I’ve wondered the same thing and not really been able to find the answer, it seems like there aren’t as many 7900s in use out there compared to the 6900s. Reviews of the 7900 are tough to find outside of the SG website.

part of it may be due to the fact that the 6900 was out for a few years before the 7900 came out.