Shapecharge for treestand hauling

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
When kifaru released the Stryker I was really excited. Having a frame pack that could work for western day hunts and be detached from the frame quickly to use for hauling a treestand and sticks for whitetail for hang and hunts would be perfect.

The Stryker was a great pack but I learned two things quickly:

1. I didn't like hauling a frame around when I wasn't hanging a stand. The majority of my hunts are in preset stands or from ground. It was worth the comfort on long walks with a stand on my back but only then.

2. The main bag of the Stryker is just too small. When I needed to throw in extra layers and everything else for an all day hunt it was a very tight squeeze. Even with two belt pouches.

I ended up picking up a shapecharge, I knew well before this that I would love it for whitetail but I didn't really want to spend the money but in the end I bit the bullet. I've used it by itself on a handful of hunts and it's set up perfectly to use in a tree.

Tonight I set it up on my duplex frame with my lone wolf assault and cut down sticks. I am confident that this will be the best possible set up for my needs. I can detach the bag at the tree when I hang the stand by just unhooking 4 buckles and leave the frame at the base of the tree.

Not the cheapest route but I don't think I'll need to buy another bag, ever. The shapecharge will work for pretty much anything and I could even put a dry bag between it and the frame is I did overnight trips.
fc119156a94b25b3fec0e7c1da88771a.jpg

f73836883d6e489f8a85353e33a80903.jpg

The Eberlestock X2 is an amazing pack for these hunts. It has 2 vertical straps and 2 horizontal straps. You can quickly and easily attach anything that might be needed. I've strapped treestands/steps, chair, or extra clothes. I even have a full size DSD buck decoy. I can strap the decoy and a millenium chair to the pack.

The pack has also hauled out moose quarters, caribou quarters, goose decoys, turkey decoys/blind, and many other things...

Squirrels

WKR
When kifaru released the Stryker I was really excited. Having a frame pack that could work for western day hunts and be detached from the frame quickly to use for hauling a treestand and sticks for whitetail for hang and hunts would be perfect.

The Stryker was a great pack but I learned two things quickly:

1. I didn't like hauling a frame around when I wasn't hanging a stand. The majority of my hunts are in preset stands or from ground. It was worth the comfort on long walks with a stand on my back but only then.

2. The main bag of the Stryker is just too small. When I needed to throw in extra layers and everything else for an all day hunt it was a very tight squeeze. Even with two belt pouches.

I ended up picking up a shapecharge, I knew well before this that I would love it for whitetail but I didn't really want to spend the money but in the end I bit the bullet. I've used it by itself on a handful of hunts and it's set up perfectly to use in a tree.

Tonight I set it up on my duplex frame with my lone wolf assault and cut down sticks. I am confident that this will be the best possible set up for my needs. I can detach the bag at the tree when I hang the stand by just unhooking 4 buckles and leave the frame at the base of the tree.

Not the cheapest route but I don't think I'll need to buy another bag, ever. The shapecharge will work for pretty much anything and I could even put a dry bag between it and the frame is I did overnight trips.
fc119156a94b25b3fec0e7c1da88771a.jpg

f73836883d6e489f8a85353e33a80903.jpg
You could shave a fair amount off your rig there by removing the shoulder straps and frame sheet from the shapecharge when you are using it with your frame.

OP

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
You could shave a fair amount off your rig there by removing the shoulder straps and frame sheet from the shapecharge when you are using it with your frame.

For this application I want to be able to disconnect it and use it stand-alone. When I go west I will definitely do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
The Eberlestock X2 is an amazing pack for these hunts. It has 2 vertical straps and 2 horizontal straps. You can quickly and easily attach anything that might be needed. I've strapped treestands/steps, chair, or extra clothes. I even have a full size DSD buck decoy. I can strap the decoy and a millenium chair to the pack.

The pack has also hauled out moose quarters, caribou quarters, goose decoys, turkey decoys/blind, and many other things...

I've had an X2 and I really like the design, it just is not nearly as comfortable with heavy loads as the kifaru.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had an X2 and I really like the design, it just is not nearly as comfortable with heavy loads as the kifaru.
I agree. But most loads aren't that heavy and you aren't going that far/long. They may be 20-30 lbs. But they aren't 100 lbs like hauling out an elk.

You can see my homemade load lifters (white PCV). They help a bit with the really heavy loads.

I just ordered a Kifaru Shape Charge with a Sherman Pocket for Eastern Whitetail Hunting. Should be here in 2/3 weeks. I hope it fills my needs. I hunt 90 percent of the time from a Tree Saddle.

the search for a perfect pack continues.....

Squirrels

WKR
I just ordered a Kifaru Shape Charge with a Sherman Pocket for Eastern Whitetail Hunting. Should be here in 2/3 weeks. I hope it fills my needs. I hunt 90 percent of the time from a Tree Saddle.

the search for a perfect pack continues.....
I hunt from a saddle a lot as well and I think you will be happy with your purchase. Now all you need is one of these handles on it and you will be all set.
EC7EEF29-FA39-4F93-B244-68169B416B4D.jpeg7DF89499-20FB-4AF6-84B7-E20CF55A8748.jpeg

Maverick1

WKR
I agree. But most loads aren't that heavy and you aren't going that far/long. They may be 20-30 lbs. But they aren't 100 lbs like hauling out an elk.

You can see my homemade load lifters (white PCV). They help a bit with the really heavy loads.
Got any specifics on those load lifters?

Got any specifics on those load lifters?
It is just a rectangle of 3/4" PVC. It is not glued together.

The PVC goes inside the main compartment and rests on the bottom. The top comes out the top. Run the existing load lifters over the top of the PCV. You can sorta figure it out from the picture even though the picture isn't awesome...