Sharpening single bevel broadheads

SlimTim

FNG
Howdy all,

When sharpening a knife, I push the knife with the cutting blade at the front. I don’t pull the knife. I find I can get my knives super sharp this way. All my knives are double bevel though.

When I try and sharpen my single bevel broadheads like this though it doesn’t seem to work. I love shooting Kaygua pilot cuts here in Australia. I find I have to pull the broadhead and I can never seem to get them as sharp as my knives with the pushing style.

What’s the best way you have found when it comes to sharpening single bevel heads?

Cheers
Tim.

ozyclint

WKR
For single bevels I've had best success with a KME broadhead sharpener. work through from course to fine. On the finishing passes I work the head so that the edge is trailing and from rear to tip simultaneously.

This orientates the microscopic saw teeth left on the blade to cut better as the head moves forward. Just like a wood saw, the teeth want to cut in one direction of travel. You can feel the difference. Feel the edge from rear to front and it will feel smooth and dull. from front to rear it'll want to bite in and slice your skin.

Marble

WKR
I find on my single bevels that metal builds up on the back side of the edge. After I do the main side , I touch up the back side and they are done.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
S

SlimTim

FNG
I find on my single bevels that metal builds up on the back side of the edge. After I do the main side , I touch up the back side and they are done.

Just taking the burr off?

Marble

WKR
Just taking the burr off?
Yes. I have a fine rat tail file I carry with me. For the field it works great. I just touch up the main side, then file the backside just slightly. You can feel the metal build up usually with your finger nail. Just takes a couple swipes and they are ready.

I have better course and fine stones for the truck.

I use a file for all broadhead sharpening - whether it be single bevels (including Pilot Cuts) or other things like double bevels. Currently using Terra Firma Venators a bit and they've been fantastic, but about to give some double bevel Extracts a go as well.
The concept of sharpening anything is simple - make sure you are reaching the edge of the bevel you are trying to sharpen and ensure you are sharpening the entire bevel. If you are, you will develop a burr on the back. When I'm doing single bevel heads I literally file them until I get a burr on the back edge and then take it off by swiping both sides of the edge on a diamond steel.