Best Single Bevel Broadhead?

Zac

WKR
I took a chance on the new Slick Trick SB. I thought it would be shaving sharp out of the package, and it definitely is not. I was thinking this would save a bunch of time. I think that’s the biggest issue is most of them need a lot of edge work.

Like I stated earlier in the thread, I don’t shoot SB’s, I don’t see the benefit worth the pain in the ass of getting them out of a target… if there was a tangible benefit of them working better, I would be ok with the hassle of pulling them from my rineharts

That being said, I just saw the VPA omega, and they did a great job on that head… it looks to be everything a SB should be. If you think SB’s split bone better and you would benefit from that, the Omega seems like the perfect single bevel

Great steel, the whole head promotes rotation (not just the bevel) and easy to sharpen, it’s the best single bevel design I’ve seen.

If I was a SB guy (for the benefit of the SB) that’s the head I’d be shooting

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
Used cutthroat and iron will so far. Would recommend the iron will over cutthroat based on limited data. Iron wills warranty can't be beat though as they replaced the broadhead shot my elk with this year due do a few chips being put into one side of the bevel. Also iron will has bleeders which I am a believer in.

See the edge is one of the reasons/things I was thinking about for why I liked the idea of a single bevel.

I want to strop my broadheads like I do my knives. I use a couple stones and then a leather strop with two compounds to get them razor sharp.
I'd like to have part of my 'routine' being sharpening and stropping the broadheads.

MattB

WKR
Theres a couple of things I have in mind that I consider advantages; those being the ability to carry a sharper and longer lasting edge as well as continuing to spin while cutting because of force only being applied in one direction. Evidence suggests that you can see one full rotation while cutting out of a single bevel per 16 inches and arguably cause that much more damage. Obviously, not to say a double bevel of any other kind can't get it done, but as a personal preference its where I have desired to move.
I am not sure the italicized is true and, with the bolded, I doubt the difference between a head of a certain cutting diameter that fully rotates and one that doesn’t is material.

Trial153

WKR
Those rotations numbers are bullshit. How do I know? Because the bevel angle changes head to head. They don’t all have the same angle. The rotation that comes is a direct product of the fact that bevels offset that produces the rotation. In one head it may have a 20 degree bevel and another head might have a 45 degree bevels. If the same force is applied through the same medium they will not have the same rotation.

Trial153

WKR
if you take the same head, same weight and same profile, same materials shot from the same bow on same arrow and the only variation is on is single bevel and the other is a double bevel and go kill a significant number of animals you won’t see any measurable or meaningful difference in the outcome or performance. Use what you want they will both work fine

Zac

WKR
I think it is possible to get a SB slightly sharper than a double. Also takes less time. However the 3 blade is always gonna be the quickest.

Beendare

WKR
if you take the same head, same weight and same profile, same materials shot from the same bow on same arrow and the only variation is on is single bevel and the other is a double bevel and go kill a significant number of animals you won’t see any measurable or meaningful difference in the outcome or performance. Use what you want they will both work fine
👆🏼Absolutely
The whole spiral wound channel cutting more is just so much hogwash.

I really like VPA heads- great company …but since I went to the inexpensive 2 blades decades ago…there isn’t a single animal where I can say a head thats $35 more would have killed it faster.

Plus, I think its important to shoot your BHs. I can shoot to stay sharp in the woods without the worry of losing a $40+ head. I think that staying sharp is critical, and stump shooting does that.

Fullfan

WKR
Used cutthroat and iron will so far. Would recommend the iron will over cutthroat based on limited data. Iron wills warranty can't be beat though as they replaced the broadhead shot my elk with this year due do a few chips being put into one side of the bevel. Also iron will has bleeders which I am a believer in.
LOL their warrantee is a joke. I had a new 100g solid with a loose bleeder, no matter what I did I could not get the bleeder tight. Sent IW the video of same, was told not to worry about it.

You will see the biggest difference in practice, trying to get those stupid single bevels out of your target… knowing the added pain in the ass gives you no perceived benefit in the woods… I hate em after shooting them a good amount

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
Personally seen four elk killed with the Iron Will 125 SB in the last two years. Three were great shots, two were pass throughs, one was back, and all had very little blood initially. Also a couple blacktail bucks both down within 50 yds or so. Seems to be a common feedback for these heads (minimal blood at first then increases). That said, they certainly penetrate well and are pretty easy to broadhead tune so that they match field points. I can get behind the argument for conserving rotational energy at impact, and perhaps penetrating a bit better through bone, but the spiral cutting behavior through tissue seems far fetched and doesn’t appear to contribute to increased bloodtrails. Completely agree about the SB being difficult to remove from a foam targeted. But I appreciate simplicity of sharpening only one edge with the SB versus two.

Last edited: