shaving spotter weight

Shrek

WKR
Found it.. belly deep uses one. Said he thought it was good but hadn't set it next to a swaro with ten mins of light left either. Just throwing it out there for an option that doesn't brake the bank.

Another option is the compact leupold spotter. It's the fixed power gold ring 20 power. I have one and love it. The weight is right at one pound and it costs right around 300.00. Again you are losing that variable power but usually I am glazing with my 8 power binos and the 20 power will help me confirm an object whether it's a stump or animal.
I also have a fixed 20x Leupold Gold Ring scope and really like it. This new compact is a 15-30x50mm and really looks like it is a good one. I would have purchased this scope if it was available when I got my fixed power. I still like my old one though. It works well enough for me.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/spotting-scopes/gr-spotting-scopes/gr-15-30x50mm-compact/
David

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
If weight savings is your main goal the Nikon ED50 is the king. If time is not crucial be patient as we are almost at the time for the start of great deals in the gear market. I bought my ED50 last year for $529 in April last year. I think there was an used ED50 in the classifieds on here as well for about the same price.

Find what you want and be ready to pounce.

Rizzy

WKR
I used a Nikon sky & earth fixed 20X for a couple of years. It wasn't enough magnification, especially for the weight. I upgraded to the Minox MD50 thus giving me more magnification at half the weight. The Md50 is a step up but hard to use with glasses on and I already feel I need more magnification while scouting. If you can afford the Nikon ED50 go with that, otherwise go with the Minox. I will most likely end up with one of the alpha spotters to use for scouting and then use the MD50 for hunting.
I also got my MD50 from Camerlandny for 230$

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What type of binoculars are you running right now?

If it were me, and I had a need to upgrade my binoculars, than I would drop more $ into the bino's and hold off on a spotter.

A set of 10X binoculars are pretty dang effective, especially when you mount them on a tripod.

Just a thought......

DWarcher

WKR
I have to say that the ctc above is an awesome deal and around 1lb lighter then the avg 65mm spotter. If I could get past the fixed issue in my head I would jump on it.

I just recently picked up the CTS-85 with a 20x60 eyepiece and am really liking it so far...42 oz for 85mm glass is hard to beat.

OP
fillthefreezer
What type of binoculars are you running right now?

If it were me, and I had a need to upgrade my binoculars, than I would drop more $ into the bino's and hold off on a spotter.

A set of 10X binoculars are pretty dang effective, especially when you mount them on a tripod.

Just a thought......
im running 10x binos but they are kinda cheap too. seems i use the spotter alot though(mostly counting points to see if a buck is legal and worth pursuing)

Beastmode

WKR
im running 10x binos but they are kinda cheap too. seems i use the spotter alot though(mostly counting points to see if a buck is legal and worth pursuing)

You have to spot the buck before you count points on them. I use my binos way more than my spotter. I believe in buying quality binos as well as a spotter. But binos to start.

-Grant

OP
fillthefreezer
You have to spot the buck before you count points on them. I use my binos way more than my spotter. I believe in buying quality binos as well as a spotter. But binos to start.

totally agree. and my binos are functional, i might buy the wife some new binos as she needs em bad and me a new spotter. we'll see. she spots more critters than me anyway (i blame my colorblindness)

OP
fillthefreezer
I have the little minox and it is very good considering price. Maybe look at the swaro Robby did a write up on, if interested b&h photo has a used one for $500. Also I would wait before buying, have a feeling some new cool items are coming out this next year so some good deals may be coming up.

dangit, i got the $$$ scrounged up and its gone.... :(

dotman

WKR
dangit, i got the $$$ scrounged up and its gone.... :(

That thing had been there for over a month, I bet someone read this post and snatched it up. Well I would just hold onto the cash and see what comes up in the next few months.

Shrek

WKR
Fillthefreezer , have you checked with doug at cameraland.com. I got a couple of emails in the last week about swaro and ziess open box , sample , sale deals. If you are sitting on cash you may want to check it out.

Shrek

WKR
Man did that list shrink fast ! I went and checked after I posted and most of the "good" stuff is gone. He did have a zeiss dailyt 18-45x65 spotter left but I dodn't think thats what you had in mond. :(

OP
fillthefreezer
Man did that list shrink fast ! I went and checked after I posted and most of the "good" stuff is gone. He did have a zeiss dailyt 18-45x65 spotter left but I dodn't think thats what you had in mond. :(

i have not checked with him but i do check their demo's list.
it will be quite some time before im sitting on dialyt kind of cash... ;)

Shrek

WKR
I understand , still , $999 is a good deal for someone. Wish that it was me ! I , like you , have more wants than I have gots !

dotman

WKR
i have not checked with him but i do check their demo's list.
it will be quite some time before im sitting on dialyt kind of cash... ;)

You don't want the dialyt IMO and I'm a big Z fan. If you could get one for $500 that's another story.

JNDEER

WKR
Some have mentioned the Leupy gold ring(fixed or 10-20x40) or the ED50.

I have both. The Ed50 is a little heavier, but is hands down far superior to the gold ring.