Shed Hunting Talk with Game Warden

beason_us

FNG
In response to having a shed season and having to get a shed hunting license.
Got ya. Sorry I didn't get read the original post. Yeah it's a truly tough topic. I live in Colorado. We've had a season last 2 years. It's only good in theory. They also don't restrict any other activities. Only shed hunting. Most don't follow the rules which sucks. Also May IMO is too late.

IMO to work. They need to have a floating start date based on the severity of the winter. Could start as early as April 1 or as late as May 1. There's grass growing up to my shins in places by the time we can go look. An they need to close heavy winter ranges for animals to all forms of recreation. That way they can have a higher chance at enforcing the season. If they don't then unless they directly catch someone that person can just say they weren't looking for Antler. They still catch some guys but most get away.

That's my 2 cents on having a season. I for one don't think it works. I also think shed hunting can be done responsibly enough not to pressure animals. There are many tactics you can use to have very low impact.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I used to care less about sheds and still pretty much do. I usually let them lie unless they are unique and I almost never make a special trip to look for them. I noticed that shed hunting was becoming a really big deal a few years ago and thought little of it, good for folks getting out.

I was driving with the family up to see my folks in nw montana last spring and we saw a cow elk and a doe whitetail running almost neck and neck across the highway about 5 miles east of Clearwater Junction on 200. Judging by how the cow was wide eyed and foaming at the mouth and in such close proximity to the deer I thought for sure there was predator(s) close behind. I quickly pulled over to hopefully show the kids something cool, nothing happened. We continued on to the junction and headed north up towards Seeley Lake and started noticing cars and trucks absolutely everywhere, not just a couple dozen, well over a hundred vehicles.

Being somewhat close to Missoula I figured there must be a festival or concert going on. Nope, according to the lady at the gas station and all the camo hanging out it was the opener for shed season for that particular area. That definitely opened my eyes to how big of a deal this has become. I'm not trying to say either way if shed hunting is wrong or right but judging by the sheer number of people all in the woods at the same time and panic in the two animals I saw just prior I'd say there is definitely an impact of some degree that goes along with it.

beason_us

FNG
I used to care less about sheds and still pretty much do. I usually let them lie unless they are unique and I almost never make a special trip to look for them. I noticed that shed hunting was becoming a really big deal a few years ago and thought little of it, good for folks getting out.

I was driving with the family up to see my folks in nw montana last spring and we saw a cow elk and a doe whitetail running almost neck and neck across the highway about 5 miles east of Clearwater Junction on 200. Judging by how the cow was wide eyed and foaming at the mouth and in such close proximity to the deer I thought for sure there was predator(s) close behind. I quickly pulled over to hopefully show the kids something cool, nothing happened. We continued on to the junction and headed north up towards Seeley Lake and started noticing cars and trucks absolutely everywhere, not just a couple dozen, well over a hundred vehicles.

Being somewhat close to Missoula I figured there must be a festival or concert going on. Nope, according to the lady at the gas station and all the camo hanging out it was the opener for shed season for that particular area. That definitely opened my eyes to how big of a deal this has become. I'm not trying to say either way if shed hunting is wrong or right but judging by the sheer number of people all in the woods at the same time and panic in the two animals I saw just prior I'd say there is definitely an impact of some degree that goes along with it.

I'd agree there's an impact. I feel like this post actually points out another issue the season causes. Instead of people trickling in over the course of months. Everyone is there at one time. It honestly hasn't helped here at all. An basically everywhere I used to look is already picked clean by guys ignoring the law. So I wait, and find nothing. It's frustrating.