Sheep Training Question

Guys - I have a up coming sheep hunt planned in the NWT the first of this August. I typically do weight lifting training at the gym about 5 day a weeks and carry quite a bit of muscle at 5'9" and 225 pounds. That being said I know from some of my past experiences in the mountains this is probably to much muscle for a flatlander like me to be carrying around in the mountains. My question is how much cardio should I start doing per week and how much weight do you think I would need to lose to be more efficient with my cardio on this hunt. I am a just a little torn about loosing to much muscle when I start my dieting and cardio. Any suggestion and comment would be appreciated. Thanks

I’m certainly no expert, so this advice might be worth exactly what it cost you, nothing. I think you should do an honest self evaluation of the 225lbs. If you’re a ripped 225 then why lose weight? Just get going on cardio. If, however, you access that there’s some fat on top of the muscle then there are ways to lose the fat while retaining the muscle and building cardio.

OP
StraightShooter
I’m certainly no expert, so this advice might be worth exactly what it cost you, nothing. I think you should do an honest self evaluation of the 225lbs. If you’re a ripped 225 then why lose weight? Just get going on cardio. If, however, you access that there’s some fat on top of the muscle then there are ways to lose the fat while retaining the muscle and building cardio.
No. I am definitely not ripped because I like to eat to much and could stand to lose some body fat, but when I have dieted in the past I tend to lose quite a bit of muscle along with fat when losing weight. What do you suggest to lose the fat but keep as much muscle as possible ? Thanks

No. I am definitely not ripped because I like to eat to much and could stand to lose some body fat, but when I have dieted in the past I tend to lose quite a bit of muscle along with fat when losing weight. What do you suggest to lose the fat but keep as much muscle as possible ? Thanks
Again, no expert, and hopefully someone more qualified will chime in, but a diet of high protein and lower carbs along with solid workouts should do the trick. In years past, before Atkins, Keto, etc., when diets were low fat, low protein and high carb is when I lost muscle while dieting. That trend, thankfully has shifted.

I would cut the strength training back to a 2 day a week absolute strength focused maintenance cycle.
Then spend 3-4 days a week rucking, walking with a weight vest, pushing a sled/dragging a tire, farmers walks, sandbag/stone carries, looooong distance unweighted walks, cycling, etc.....

https://www.t-nation.com/training/build-your-own-sled

https://www.t-nation.com/training/secret-of-loaded-carries

As far as fat loss goes I posted a link to a free fat loss course by some very knowledgeable folks
https://www.3dmjvault.com/courses/sustainable-fat-loss

Last edited:

HuntWyld

WKR
Don’t emphasize losing your muscle I’m positive that is not going to be your problem. Focus on your nutrition not a diet. Do this by counting your macros- eat .5g of fat per body weight daily, 1g carbs per body weight daily and at least 1g to 1.5g protein of your body weight daily. Focus on increasing cardiovascular endurance with high intensity training. I think a good balance of heavy lifting 3 times a week with a focus on functional compound movements (squats, deads, presses, pull-ups) and then twice a week doing high intensity cardio such as circuit training or CrossFit style sets for time. Key focus on high intensity. This will allow you to keep your hard earned muscle which will benefit you by preventing injury. Strength is the best injury prevention. Then by adding in the high intensity cardio and fixing your nutrition you’ll soon notice yourself leaning out and being able to motor up mountains like a Diesel engine. The information in this post has not been approved by the FDA, haha good luck!!!

OP
StraightShooter
I would cut the strength training back to a 2 day a week absolute strength focused maintenance cycle.
Then spend 3-4 days a week rucking, walking with a weight vest, pushing a sled/dragging a tire, farmers walks, sandbag/stone carries, looooong distance unweighted walks, cycling, etc.....

https://www.t-nation.com/training/build-your-own-sled

https://www.t-nation.com/training/secret-of-loaded-carries

As far as fat loss goes I posted a link to a free fat loss course by some very knowledgeable folks
https://www.3dmjvault.com/courses/sustainable-fat-loss

Coach - I appreciate the info and I am going to head to the gym in about 30 minutes to do some cycling tonight and then progress over the next couple weeks to some of these other weighted carries. I will let you know how it works for the next coming weeks. I have always done a lot of compound heavy lifting over the years, so this will definitely be new to me. Let's see what this 46 year old man has got. I am going to cut my lifting back and give this a try. Thanks again for the info.

OP
StraightShooter
Don’t emphasize losing your muscle I’m positive that is not going to be your problem. Focus on your nutrition not a diet. Do this by counting your macros- eat .5g of fat per body weight daily, 1g carbs per body weight daily and at least 1g to 1.5g protein of your body weight daily. Focus on increasing cardiovascular endurance with high intensity training. I think a good balance of heavy lifting 3 times a week with a focus on functional compound movements (squats, deads, presses, pull-ups) and then twice a week doing high intensity cardio such as circuit training or CrossFit style sets for time. Key focus on high intensity. This will allow you to keep your hard earned muscle which will benefit you by preventing injury. Strength is the best injury prevention. Then by adding in the high intensity cardio and fixing your nutrition you’ll soon notice yourself leaning out and being able to motor up mountains like a Diesel engine. The information in this post has not been approved by the FDA, haha good luck!!!

HuntWyld - I am going try to focus more over the next couple of months on my nutrition. I already take in 1.5 g of protein a day, but my carbs have been really high and not particularly clean. I am going to dedicate myself to eating cleaner carbs as well as less carbs. I am want to be strong like my F-250 Diesel and fast like my Dodge Hellcat when I get to the mountains chasing them sheep ! Thanks for the advice.

I have always done a lot of compound heavy lifting over the years, so this will definitely be new to me. .
Don't stop doing them.
Going into and through last hunting season I was lifting 2 days a week
Day 1 - Deadlift, Military Press and Yates row
Day 2 - Back Squat, Bench Press and weighted pull ups
I was rucking 2 days a week and hiking, mtn biking or road biking 4 days a week

I'm in my 50's

but my carbs have been really high and not particularly clean. I am going to dedicate myself to eating cleaner carbs as well as less carbs..
https://completehumanperformance.com/2013/08/20/clean-eating/

LaHunter

WKR
I am a fellow flat lander, north of 50 years old. I do 40 minutes on the stair climber with 38-40 lbs pack wt 2X / week, I do 60 minutes of pulling a tire 1X / week (this is misery), and elliptical for 30-35 minutes 2X / week, for a total of 5 days / week cardio. I continue to lift 4 days per week throughout the year.

HuntWyld

WKR
Sounds like your on the right track man, let us know how the sheep hunt goes and bring back some pictures!!

I am a fellow flat lander, north of 50 years old. I do 40 minutes on the stair climber with 38-40 lbs pack wt 2X / week, I do 60 minutes of pulling a tire 1X / week (this is misery), and elliptical for 30-35 minutes 2X / week, for a total of 5 days / week cardio. I continue to lift 4 days per week throughout the year.
Damn, heck of a workout,man, puts me to shame a bit. I’m north of 60 but the mountains and sheep don’t give a rats a$$, so I have to step it up. My hunt’s in 2020 but the serious training has begun

OP
StraightShooter

LaHunter - That looks like a beast mode workout. I went this morning and did 15 minutes on the stair climber and 18 minutes on the treadmill with a 10% incline at 3.5 speed. I got quite a few stares from some of my fellow lifters who have really never seen me do any cardio. I am working on getting me a tire and harness at my house where I can start trying it out as well. I am going to continue to lift about 5 times a week because I love to lift. I got a lot of work to do to try to catch up with you but I am going to give it hell because I got Dall Sheep waiting on me and I am coming for him. Thanks for the advice.

OP
StraightShooter
Sounds like your on the right track man, let us know how the sheep hunt goes and bring back some pictures!!

HuntWyld - I am going to give it all I got to get in great shape where I can have the best chance possible of getting my sheep. It has always been a dream of mine to kill a Dall Sheep so I want to do my part to be prepared. I plan on trying to do updates while I am on my hunt and hopefully end with a good story and some great pictures.

keller

WKR
I hunted sheep 2018 im not a physical specimen 5'4" 155 lbs.i got in the best shape I could get into joined a gym trained for a year before my hunt..my best friend was revolving stair stepper like an escalator.you tube sheep hunts watch them while on the machine helps a ton.passes the time. also worked hard on the core. legs ..cardio..core… I was successful but because of conditioning.best of luck. john

I did 1 hour of cardio 3x a week for my NWT sheep hunt in 2018. I alternated days between P90X plyometrics one day and 2500m row, 30 minutes of weighted 16" box step ups and 15 min high resistance bike the next.

On the other hand my dad has been on 27 successful sheep hunts and his regimen consisted of a few weeks on a Nortitrack cross-country skier, a few sit ups and a boat load of Lucky Strike cigarettes.

Good Luck on the hunt. Who is your outfitter?

OP
StraightShooter
I hunted sheep 2018 im not a physical specimen 5'4" 155 lbs.i got in the best shape I could get into joined a gym trained for a year before my hunt..my best friend was revolving stair stepper like an escalator.you tube sheep hunts watch them while on the machine helps a ton.passes the time. also worked hard on the core. legs ..cardio..core… I was successful but because of conditioning.best of luck. john

Keller - I did the stair stepper on level 6 a couple of times this week for about 20 minutes and am going to try to start wearing my pack with 30 pounds over the next couple of weeks. I feel like it is going to be one of my go to cardio exercises over the next couple of months. Thanks

OP
StraightShooter
I did 1 hour of cardio 3x a week for my NWT sheep hunt in 2018. I alternated days between P90X plyometrics one day and 2500m row, 30 minutes of weighted 16" box step ups and 15 min high resistance bike the next.

On the other hand my dad has been on 27 successful sheep hunts and his regimen consisted of a few weeks on a Nortitrack cross-country skier, a few sit ups and a boat load of Lucky Strike cigarettes.

Good Luck on the hunt. Who is your outfitter?

Darin - We have a rowing machine at my gym and I am going in about an hour, so I will give it a try and let you know how bad it does me. I am going with Jim Lancaster with Nahanni Butte Outfitters. I originally had caribou hunt booked but was on the list for a sheep cancellation hunt and he had one a couple of months ago so maybe it was meant to be. I am now trying to play catch on my cardio but at least I already have a good base with my heavy lifting routine that I regularly do it the gym. I will probably have to skip the Lucky Strikes because I am not tough enough to smoke any of them. Thanks buddy

Darin - We have a rowing machine at my gym and I am going in about an hour, so I will give it a try and let you know how bad it does me. I am going with Jim Lancaster with Nahanni Butte Outfitters. I originally had caribou hunt booked but was on the list for a sheep cancellation hunt and he had one a couple of months ago so maybe it was meant to be. I am now trying to play catch on my cardio but at least I already have a good base with my heavy lifting routine that I regularly do it the gym. I will probably have to skip the Lucky Strikes because I am not tough enough to smoke any of them. Thanks buddy

You bet. Jim and Clay run a good outfit. Be sure to post up a full report in the Sheep forum when you get back. Don't get too caught up in the physical training that you forget to put in some good trigger time. Feel free to PM me with any questions. The months are going to fly by. Heading back to NWT myself in 2020 to chase moose. Can't get enough of that part of the world.