Ship meat from Denver / Aspen???

I am heading to CO for 3rd rifle in unit 43. Fly to Denver and drive to Snow Mass area.

in the unlikely event I get lucky, what is the best way to ship meat from CO (Either Denver/Aspen/Snow Mass area) back to the east coast? Curious as well about antlers, in the even more unlikely I get on a bull. destination is Specifically northeast PA, but I can drive to pick it up if there is a drop shipping option.

Thx
DJ

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
I would just package the meat and check it on your flight. Keep each box/cooler below 50 lbs. You should debone it too. There are very few options for meat processers here, so you're likely on your own. The nearest one is Holy Cow in Silt. Thats who I use.

I saw a guy on a Texas hunting IG post show how he packed elk antlers/skull on his return flight home. Just bubble wrapped the tips and skull really well and checked it. Also claimed he brought back the meat. I personally have flown with quite a bit of meat in soft coolers many times. Not a whole elk's worth of meat, but more than 50 pounds.

I agree with @Dakota Dude about deboning it yourself. I deboned an entire mule deer last Friday in about an hour. I'm no butcher either, but it doesn't take long to quarter and bone it out.

Jimss

WKR
Debone, freeze, and place in a cooler sealed box/container. I've hauled as much as 350 lbs of halibut, salmon, and big game back from Alaska on Alaska Air. Check the airline max wt/box. Most are around 50 lbs. You will get charged/box but it's a lot cheaper than shipping any other way. I'm not 100% sure but DIA may actually have cold storage. You may want to call your airlines to find out and make sure to tell them when checking in. Alaska Air has cold storage in Anchorage and I believe Seattle.

I flew back on southwest from SLC with two 99 pound coolers of elk meat, they won’t take anything over 100 pounds. I believe it was 150 extra for both coolers

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
The meat is no problem with bringing it back on the plane in coolers. The antlers will probably be tough to put on a plane. I would recommend finding the closest processor and having them ship the horns on a courier. There are companies who will deliver meat and horns cross country. It would be cheaper to bring the meat home with you on the plane though as the last time I checked it was $6 per pound to transport the meat to your home which is very expensive.

cadet18

FNG
Not sure how close they are to you but I recently used Wild Game Trophy Shipping out of CO to get meat from WY to NC.... they did a great job and were relatively quick. They pick up out west and make east coast deliveries all season.

Marble

WKR
Even unfrozen with the temps the meat will start at from that area you're coming from, it will be just fine in any container as long as it's sturdy enough to handle the weight.

Ice chest works pretty well.

I would chat with whatever airline you are flying just to get an idea of what you'll be dealing with.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Last edited: