shipping rifle to FFL- keep me out of jail :)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Recently sold a rifle and want to ship it to the buyer's FFL.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but looks like USPS is the only option now?- both UPS and Fedex apparently now restrict shipping a firearm to folks w/ a FFL???

What information or forms do I need from the FFL holder?
What information does the FFL holder need from me?
What does USPS need from me- copy of the holder's FFL?
I'm assuming Priority w/ a signature?
Assuming insurance at full value?
I have the original box (Winchester) can I wrap it with brown paper or should I try to find a box to put the box in? That could prove difficult I'm thinking.
What am I missing?

Screw it and have a FL guy here mail it? Obviously at a higher cos t$$$$$

Thanks

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Package it so they don’t know it is a firearm and ship it to the FFL at the post office with your ID so the FFL can do the transfer.

Haven’t done it recently but usually you can go to a UPS hub and ship it with the FFL. The FFL can give your their license. It’s something you should confirm with the ATF list as well.

Local UPS stores won’t accept them.

Recently sold a rifle and want to ship it to the buyer's FFL.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but looks like USPS is the only option now?- both UPS and Fedex apparently now restrict shipping a firearm to folks w/ a FFL???

What information or forms do I need from the FFL holder? - The first three digits and the last 5 digits of their FFL license number is all you need to do a license check. No need to have a full copy of the FFL. Here is the link to do that. https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/FFLEzCheck/
What information does the FFL holder need from me? - A copy of you DL in the box with the firearm is enough.
What does USPS need from me- copy of the holder's FFL? Honesty, nothing. If you have the information above, you can show the person at the PO that you are shipping to the FFL at the address on their license. That is enough.
I'm assuming Priority w/ a signature? - That is how I ship mine. USPS recommends "Registered", but honestly, there is no appreciable difference in service other than the price.
Assuming insurance at full value? - Yes, full replacement value.
I have the original box (Winchester) can I wrap it with brown paper or should I try to find a box to put the box in? That could prove difficult I'm thinking. - If the buyer has to have the original box, then yes, the brown paper method is probably best. The way I ship mine now is to order a $20 hard case from Amazon. When it arrives, I put the bubble wrapped gun in that and then put it in the box it was shipped to me in.
What am I missing? - You may want to take a print out of the USPS code book section on shipping firearms. If, for some reason, the person you are talking to decides to give you grief, you can use that to prove they are stupid. Honestly, the best thing to do is package it up, weigh it, measure it and then use the "Click-N-Ship" on the USPS website to pay and print a shipping label. Then all you have to do is drop it at the Post Office. Be sure to watch them scan it in though.

Screw it and have a FL guy here mail it? Obviously at a higher cos t$$$$$

Thanks

See my answers in your quote.

You can ship to an FFL via UPS but you have to hand it directly to a driver or take to one of their customer centers (not a UPS store)

I have a UPS account so I print up the label at home and get the package ready and then for an extra $13 bucks or so you can schedule a pickup and the driver will come to your house and get it.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
or call your local gun stores and see if they'll ship for you. we ship out customer's firearms almost daily because we have UPS account and, conveniently enough, ship and receive firearms.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My local gun store ships them for me. They log it into the system and then log it out and ship it to the buyers FFL. They charge me $15 on top of the shipping cost that I would pay anyway.

Well worth it to just have your FFL ship it to their FFL.