WTS Shipping Rifle

mdfanatic1980

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you ship a rifle these days? The receiver will be a FFL dealer, but do I have to ship through a dealer? Or can I include my DL, copy of the receivers FFL, and send it?

LuvDog

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Legally, sure. You can ship a long gun via USPS.

UPS and Fedex rules say that you need to be an FFL and have your license on file with your account.

The receiving FFL may have their own rules though. So make sure they will accept from an individual.

Honestly, though, shipmygun.com is so cheap that it's my first choice lately.

Mag_7s

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is a recent thread on this subject that might help you out. No USPS gun ship
Also, I may be wrong here on your intentions but you might remove the "WTS (want to sell)" tag on the post.

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Legally, sure. You can ship a long gun via USPS.

UPS and Fedex rules say that you need to be an FFL and have your license on file with your account.

The receiving FFL may have their own rules though. So make sure they will accept from an individual.

Honestly, though, shipmygun.com is so cheap that it's my first choice lately.

It looks like it's pre-determined box sizes?

Do you literally just drop the gun off at the FFL and they do the rest?

GACory

FNG
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

The last couple of guns I've shipped have been through my FFL. They have been cheaper than going through the USPS by a good bit (by at least 20-30 dollars).

I just bring them in, in a case and they will box them up and send them off. It's been a lot easier than sourcing card boxes big enough myself.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
The last couple of guns I've shipped have been through my FFL. They have been cheaper than going through the USPS by a good bit (by at least 20-30 dollars).

I just bring them in, in a case and they will box them up and send them off. It's been a lot easier than sourcing card boxes big enough myself.
And a lot less of a pain I bet!

SOIHUNT

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A buddy shipped a 50 caliber rifle few weeks through usps and never got a update that it shipped and now he’s going through hell! The postmaster told him that they have been having issues with that post office and there is no way someone took it out, he claims it’s sat somewhere and he was going there personally to look for. lol 😂 guess they don’t want to pay the insurance on it by the way was in Houston, Texas

Last edited:

TxLite

WKR
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A buddy shipped a 50 caliber rifle few weeks through usps and never got a update that it shipped and now he’s going through hell! The postmaster told him that they have been having issues with that post office and there is no way someone took it out, he claims it’s sat somewhere and he was going there personally to look for. lol 😂 guess they don’t want to pay the insurance on it by the way was in Houston, Texas
They built a new facility and it’s been a disaster. Packages piled up for weeks. I had to go through the same hoops with a package that sat there for 2 weeks and just got it yesterday

TTurboEE

FNG
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had the same question a few months ago. After all my research and the changes to regs with the different shipping companies I went with the FFL to FFL route, cheaper by a hair but much easier transaction process and felt more comfortable with it. Less anxiety with shipping a valuable item going that route. Just drop it off to a good gun shop you trust that will do it. They will make a copy of your DL and the info for where it's getting sent to and they do just about all the work, less hassle for you.

LuvDog

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's basically a flat rate for a typical rifle sized box, so yes, it's pre-determined by box size.

And you don't drop at an FFL, you drop at a UPS hub. Since you're shipping on their account. You're using their FFL. shipmygun.com is part of Buds Gun Shop.

I've used it half a dozen times and it's been great.

If you don't want to use shipmygun and want to use your local FFL, then you'd need to talk to them. But when I've done it in the past, yes, I've just dropped off a gun, paid whatever fees they wanted, got a receipt and walked out. But it was definitely more expensive.

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It's basically a flat rate for a typical rifle sized box, so yes, it's pre-determined by box size.

And you don't drop at an FFL, you drop at a UPS hub. Since you're shipping on their account. You're using their FFL. shipmygun.com is part of Buds Gun Shop.

I've used it half a dozen times and it's been great.

If you don't want to use shipmygun and want to use your local FFL, then you'd need to talk to them. But when I've done it in the past, yes, I've just dropped off a gun, paid whatever fees they wanted, got a receipt and walked out. But it was definitely more expensive.

That's great info, thank you!