Shooting in the Backyard

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure this differs state by state but does anyone know if it's illegal to shoot a bow in backyard? Residing in CT and couldn't find anything online. A neighbor that lives off center to where I shoot along the side of my house is complaining about me shooting there. Have a giant shed as a backstop incase I was to ever miss (not a brag). Have asked a buddy who is law enforcement looking into it for me so waiting for that answer.

call your local PD and verify with them.

Make sure you have full containment of your arrow, don't ask how i know. Ive heard many bowhunters who have had some sort of error that sent an arrow sailing off their property. Luckily no one was ever hit however the arrows never landed harmlessly in a lawn either

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
If you have houses right around like a normal neighborhood then I’m sorry you shouldn’t be shooting your bow in the backyard. That’s just dumb. I’d complain also.
If out in country and have room around your house or no one directly behind you or where you’re shooting or say maybe 120° or so in either direction of path your shooting then I’d maybe do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your attitude about it is dumb. Even if there are houses around if you have a good backstop you'll be fine.

Your attitude about it is dumb. Even if there are houses around if you have a good backstop you'll be fine.

Attitude isn’t dumb at all. It’s just correct. I’m sorry you aren’t considering the possible situations where it can be dangerous in the middle of a damn neighborhood. It’s just stupid period. Good backstop? How big are we talking here? Big enough that if you have a mishap and sling an arrow too far left or too far right or high that it won’t hit a house? When I mean mishap I mean like your release broke and released arrow during draw, things like that, that have potential of sending an arrow way off from where it’s supposed to go. I’ve had an arrow come off my string weird, my release slip sending arrow no where near a backstop. It happens. It’s rare but it happens. I’m sorry I’ll continue to be safe and not dumb.

Yes I’ve shot in neighborhoods. I just happened to have nothing but open field behind my house as my street was on the edge of the neighborhood so I had NO chance of hitting someone’s house if a freak mishap happened.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
Attitude isn’t dumb at all. It’s just correct. I’m sorry you aren’t considering the possible situations where it can be dangerous in the middle of a damn neighborhood. It’s just stupid period. Good backstop? How big are we talking here? Big enough that if you have a mishap and sling an arrow too far left or too far right or high that it won’t hit a house? When I mean mishap I mean like your release broke and released arrow during draw, things like that, that have potential of sending an arrow way off from where it’s supposed to go. I’ve had an arrow come off my string weird, my release slip sending arrow no where near a backstop. It happens. It’s rare but it happens. I’m sorry I’ll continue to be safe and not dumb.

Yes I’ve shot in neighborhoods. I just happened to have nothing but open field behind my house as my street was on the edge of the neighborhood so I had NO chance of hitting someone’s house if a freak mishap happened.

You seem like the neighbor op is talking about. You say it's correct so it's correct. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. If you don't have a house or people behind your target you're good.

You seem like the neighbor op is talking about. You say it's correct so it's correct. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. If you don't have a house or people behind your target you're good.

That last line is what I have been saying this whole time, I’m glad we agree. Neighbors on side fine neighbors catty-corner (which sounds like the OP situation if I’m not mistaken) then no I’m not shooting. To many what ifs. And I’m talking a standard neighborhood here. Now I wouldn’t have called the cops first time like the OP story. I would have spoken with the neighbor politely and if they continued to be idiots then yes i would have called the cops. I have kids that play in my backyard all the time and not just my own, so does nearly every house around me in my neighborhood. If considering their safety and completely eliminating the what ifs by going to a proper range or out in the middle of nowhere to shoot is dumb, well then color me dumb.