Shooting Long Range Paid off BIG TIME

huntnful

WKR
Last year after hunting all year with a 6.5CM I just was not impressed with its killing power. So after last season I had Mike from Hells Canyon Armory build me a 28 Nosler. Once it came in, I got to work dialing in a load and pushing my distance further. Constantly stretching out to 1000 yards during my practice sessions, knowing one day it would pay off. Last weekend I had my target California buck feeding on a hillside at 630 yards right at gray light. I laid out prone, set my turret (8.5 MOA), took a few deep breaths and SENT IT. I couldn't have made a better shot placement from 50 yards. Right in the pocket! 630 yard heart shot and shut his lights out on the spot. No tracking necessary. 30 3/8" wide. Unreal. Will share pictures when I get home!

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
Nice! Nothing makes up for time behind the gun shooting targets at distance. I attribute most of my long range hunting skill and confidence to shooting PRS matches for the last three years (and all the practice for those matches).

You know you can’t dial with a Leupold! Ha Ha congrats on a good shot and a great buck.

wjarrell

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice buck, hell of a buck no matter what state, and good looking rifle too. At that distance, and with a good shot placement a creedmoor with a good bullet such as a VLD or ABLR would have done the same thing to that buck.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Thank you guys! I’m definitely happy with the results! Hahaha the old Leupolds didn’t track worth a shit. These HD’s are money though.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Very nice buck, hell of a buck no matter what state, and good looking rifle too. At that distance, and with a good shot placement a creedmoor with a good bullet such as a VLD or ABLR would have done the same thing to that buck.
Thank you! And sure a creedmoor would have cause death with a perfect shot at that distance. But it would not have grenaded his internal cavity with enough force to shut down his system on site. Those were the results I was looking for when I switched calibers. Not that I expect it every time, but the energy is tremendous compared to the 6.5.

People talk about how long range hunting “isn’t ethical” and it makes me laugh - the guys who only shoot animals 300 and in think it’s that easy when it’s anything but. It’s a skill set all its own - like still hunting. It requires a shitload of practice, and costs $$$$ in ammo(not to mention rifle and optics).

Nice shot, nice rifle and nice buck.