Shooting Long Range Paid off BIG TIME

Great job! I am debating between my 7mm STW or 6.5 cm for my long range whitetail rifle. The 7mm STW and 28 Nosler are similar. This might have been the tipping point for me which rifle to choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I didn’t know it was possible to kill animals with anything other than a 6.5 creed and an swfa or nightforce scope. Congrats on a killer buck and a bad to the bone caliber!

People talk about how long range hunting “isn’t ethical” and it makes me laugh - the guys who only shoot animals 300 and in think it’s that easy when it’s anything but. It’s a skill set all its own - like still hunting. It requires a shitload of practice, and costs $$$$ in ammo(not to mention rifle and optics).

Nice shot, nice rifle and nice buck.
Hahahaha, regretfully... I was a creedmoor guy before this year lol. Not all its cracked up to be!

Yes sir! You're 100% right. It take much more time behind the gun and understanding of your rifle and ammo to make a kill past 500.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Great job! I am debating between my 7mm STW or 6.5 cm for my long range whitetail rifle. The 7mm STW and 28 Nosler are similar. This might have been the tipping point for me which rifle to choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is nothing "long range" about a 6.5CM besides shooting steel. I had one and took several animals with it. The power is not impressive. It's a great 400 yard gun. Go bigger if you want to ethically kill farther than that. That's my opinion.

Moserkr

WKR
Hahaha good luck finding yours man!! Hope you can turn him up in the next few weeks!
Thanks. Lost a little hope when he didnt show last season, after a hard winter. The basin he frequented also dried up though, so Im looking around. But they do exist out there in CA as you have proven!

Attachments

• 40322280-5DFE-443D-B760-3D0AF25921E5.jpeg
    40322280-5DFE-443D-B760-3D0AF25921E5.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 49
OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Thanks. Lost a little hope when he didnt show last season, after a hard winter. The basin he frequented also dried up though, so Im looking around. But they do exist out there in CA as you have proven!
Oh man, he's a freaking heavy STUD! Well hopefully he's passed on alot of his genetics in that area!

Moserkr

WKR
Oh man, he's a freaking heavy STUD! Well hopefully he's passed on alot of his genetics in that area!
Haha yes he is. Saw him the year before that pic in person and to say he was an incredible buck is an understatement. He still had a month to grow in that pic... His genetics have been passed on numerous times, and I actually missed an archery shot on his oldest son this year. Thats ok though, as Id rather let them grow up a bit more. Seeing bucks of the caliber you shot and I see is rare in CA, and I truly appreciate how you were able to take yours. A long range gun is in my future too. Best of luck next year(s) finding one to top that big boy!

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Haha yes he is. Saw him the year before that pic in person and to say he was an incredible buck is an understatement. He still had a month to grow in that pic... His genetics have been passed on numerous times, and I actually missed an archery shot on his oldest son this year. Thats ok though, as Id rather let them grow up a bit more. Seeing bucks of the caliber you shot and I see is rare in CA, and I truly appreciate how you were able to take yours. A long range gun is in my future too. Best of luck next year(s) finding one to top that big boy!
I found this buck I killed this year, last year also. He was about a 28" 3x3. He grew a little and added a fourth tine this year. I've found 4-5 solid high caliber bucks like that this year. An even bigger 4X4 but I couldn't turn him up anymore after I initially found him :/. Dude, the long range rifle is a game changer. Not that I WANT to take long shots, but it's nice to the have the ability. It takes a lot practice and range time to be efficient though!

Moserkr

WKR
I found this buck I killed this year, last year also. He was about a 28" 3x3. He grew a little and added a fourth tine this year. I've found 4-5 solid high caliber bucks like that this year. An even bigger 4X4 but I couldn't turn him up anymore after I initially found him :/. Dude, the long range rifle is a game changer. Not that I WANT to take long shots, but it's nice to the have the ability. It takes a lot practice and range time to be efficient though!
Thats awesome and interesting. Its fun watching them change and grow. I know Ive only seen half the large bucks where I hunt, and know many do not die from human hands. Id love the ability to shoot long range but have not needed it. Longest shot is 33 yards with a bow, all my rifle shots are under 20 yards... Trying to up my spot n stalk/glassing game as still hunting is hard work. 650 is a hell of a shot, even for a skilled marksman. Hats off to you for the time and dedication to make that clean kill! Something my friends and I are working on aspiring to.

The lead free laws in California really do limit the 6.5 CM’s effectiveness due to the lower BC offerings of mono bullets. Way to realize that and step up the energy level, and make a killer shot!

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
Last year after hunting all year with a 6.5CM I just was not impressed with its killing power. So after last season I had Mike from Hells Canyon Armory build me a 28 Nosler. Once it came in, I got to work dialing in a load and pushing my distance further. Constantly stretching out to 1000 yards during my practice sessions, knowing one day it would pay off. Last weekend I had my target California buck feeding on a hillside at 630 yards right at gray light. I laid out prone, set my turret (8.5 MOA), took a few deep breaths and SENT IT. I couldn't have made a better shot placement from 50 yards. Right in the pocket! 630 yard heart shot and shut his lights out on the spot. No tracking necessary. 30 3/8" wide. Unreal. Will share pictures when I get home!
There are many custom rifle makers so I am just curious how you decided to choose Hells Canyon Armory instead of a company like Gunwerks? I am thinking about getting a custom 28 Nosler as well. How is the recoil with the muzzle brake and does Mike load ammo for you or do you use the factory Nosler 150 grain E-tip?