Shooting without adjustable cheek riser

leclairk

FNG
So what am I missing? Many years ago I took a precision rifle class and the first thing we did was tape a piece of pipe insulation to the stock to allow our eye to line up perfectly with the scope. What a difference! So much more comfortable. So much more accurate. The ability to fully relax the body and have a perfect sight picture is priceless. I’ve never owned a gun without an adjustable cheek piece since. Everytime I shoot someone’s gun prone that doesn’t have the adjustability I walk away saying how do you do it? It kills my neck and seems to double my wobble zone. I get that these are hunting rifles and aren’t meant to shoot 1/4 minute groups but it just seems to help so much. I also know the adjustability adds about a half pound to most stocks but it seems worth it to me. The Rokstock is coming but without the adjustable cheek it’s a no deal for me. So why do I seem to be in the minority on this?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I index my jaw on the stock, and for the stock with medium or high rings. I don’t use a cheek rest any more.

If it helps you. I say keep it. Adding an adjustable cheek piece is doable. But, with the negative comb, you might not need to have anything else.

I agree the taping of misc crap to the stock is very doable and I did it for years cause that was all I was allowed to do. It’s also ugly as sin in my opinion. Some people who pay thousands of dollars for their set up don’t want to go taping things to their stock and leaving sticky goo all over the place.

It’s all personal preference. I prefer an adjustable cheek piece to fine tune my face alignment for the given set up. I also move stocks around for different rifles as well.

So I’m in the “minority” with you

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I agree the taping of misc crap to the stock is very doable and I did it for years cause that was all I was allowed to do. It’s also ugly as sin in my opinion. Some people who pay thousands of dollars for their set up don’t want to go taping things to their stock and leaving sticky goo all over the place.

It’s all personal preference. I prefer an adjustable cheek piece to fine tune my face alignment for the given set up. I also move stocks around for different rifles as well.

So I’m in the “minority” with you
I used the self sticking tape for all my stock junk, Hahahha. No goo.

I am with you. At this point I am not taping stuff on.

I used the self sticking tape for all my stock junk, Hahahha. No goo.

I am with you. At this point I am not taping stuff on.
I had one down here in the Texas heat that completely gooed up the stock. Must have been a combo of the heat and wrong type of tape? Stopped trying to get it off and tossed the stock. It was a cheap one anyway.