Shooting yoir bow while on a backpack hunt

Dkugler76

FNG
I've seen guys talk about shooting their bow while on a backpack hunt and was curious how many of you guys do that? I always shoot anytime I am back at the truck but have never shot while being in the backcountry. Are you guys that do take practice shots in the field just shooting at old stumps, banks, etc? I like the idea of of getting at least one shot in a day to check accuracy and grease the groove of my shot process but haven't done it.

grfox92

WKR
I struggled with this, this year. I might use a bludgeon point next year to shoot dead trees. I think even a small game head would get stuck in a stump.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I shoot vpa small game heads. I kill grouse like it's my job with it. I often shoot random soft targets. I keep one arrow painted white for such tasks. You want to know if you're gonna rattle something loose before it's critical.

I shoot several times a day with a judo point. Don’t shoot at stumps unless you want to be there awhile trying to dig it out. You’ll learn what you can and can’t shoot at with them. I’m surprised more people don’t practice with them.

Trad guys do it a lot more regularly than compound shooters. The key is to pick a really soft target, and to have a designated arrow for the task. Small game heads are good for this. Just don't get the ones with the wire prongs. They break pretty easily.

I think the Chinese knock off Judos are the worst about breaking wire. I’ve broke more of the solid one piece claw style heads than I have the Judo brand heads. I’ll bend them on a rock way before I break one. And I shoot them out of a compound.

TripleJ

WKR
I always have a judo point in my quiver for practice and/or grouse. I like to take several practice shots per day.

WCB

WKR
I dont. I will have a target in my truck. But once Im on the mountain I dont shoot at all. If I cant go 5 or 6 days without shooting and make a shot when it counts I have issues. If I drop my bow or something ill sacrafice a broadhead and just shoot at a dirt mount or rotted stump.

I dont walk around shooting my rifle

In my opinion, you and your bow should be dialed in when you arrive. If you want to shoot small game for food that's different, but why waste time in the mountains shooting, you should have been practicing the past 365 days so that you're confident when you get there. If all the bolts and screws on your bow are tight when you go, the chances of things loosening aren't very high. Just one less thing to worry about and more room in the truck without the bow target.

MattB

WKR
When hunting areas that are too rocky to safely shoot into the dirt, I have carried a ~3" section cut from an old closed-cell foam roller to shoot judo points at. Can't remember ever breaking the wire on the genuine article, and I have only rarely even bent one. Can't say the same for the rip-off's.

All it takes is for one shot to go wrong because something moved on your bow for the non-believers to learn the hard way. Even the stoutest bow accessories can be pretty fickle when it comes to accidental misuse. I had an elk hunt that went sideways because I bumped my overbuilt Spot Hogg sight on my knee working my way a rock pile. My bow was hitting 10" low at 50 yards after that and it cost me.

KyleSS

Lil-Rokslider
On my backpack hunts, I take the "Backpacker" by Grizz Targets and Archery. It doubles as a flat cook surface and a glassing pad. It weighs 2.5 lbs and is made from high density foam. It is designed with strings built in so you can hang it to shoot it. The design is built so you hang it some where and when the arrow hits it, the high density foam and the swinging action absorbs the energy. I'm shooting 72 lbs, 30" draw, 453 grain arrow at 286 FPS and the arrow will only go half way though with a broadhead on

Here is the link if anyone is interested.

bozeman

WKR
Wake up, stretch, draw bow and controlled let down 2X each AM.....lunch shoot at grouse with judo point or draw back, controlled let down 2X.....build you a rhythm.....

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
Double duty sleeping pad and portable target :LOL:

alps-master-z-foam-sleeping-mat.jpg

One of my favorite elk camps has a really soft dirt bank 40 yards from the tent. We can shoot out to 60

It’s pretty nice to shoot if we are around camp during daylight.

We pack out a plastic coffe cup or to go soup container lid to shoot

IMG_4726.jpeg

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Once season hits I feel like if I'm not ready at that point then I didn't train hard enough throughout the year. I'll shoot at camp but never in the backcountry. Shooting all year and singing up for NWMC, TAC, or similar shoots will give you confidence to not have that thought in your mind that you need to shoot during season. I rarely shoot flat range, and would much rather shoot 15 controlled shots with a elevated heart after sprinting then shoot 100 on flat range. Buying the best gear also helps give me a piece of mind. My Bows have taken some pretty nasty spills, and I've never had hiccup with accuracy or tune changing.

PMcGee

WKR
Once season hits I feel like if I'm not ready at that point then I didn't train hard enough throughout the year. I'll shoot at camp but never in the backcountry. Shooting all year and singing up for NWMC, TAC, or similar shoots will give you confidence to not have that thought in your mind that you need to shoot during season. I rarely shoot flat range, and would much rather shoot 15 controlled shots with a elevated heart after sprinting then shoot 100 on flat range. Buying the best gear also helps give me a piece of mind. My Bows have taken some pretty nasty spills, and I've never had hiccup with accuracy or tune changing.

I don’t think most people shoot their bows on a backcountry hunt because of lack of confidence. It just gives you something to do when you have some downtime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dyoung46

FNG
On my backpack hunts, I take the "Backpacker" by Grizz Targets and Archery. It doubles as a flat cook surface and a glassing pad. It weighs 2.5 lbs and is made from high density foam. It is designed with strings built in so you can hang it to shoot it. The design is built so you hang it some where and when the arrow hits it, the high density foam and the swinging action absorbs the energy. I'm shooting 72 lbs, 30" draw, 453 grain arrow at 286 FPS and the arrow will only go half way though with a broadhead on

Here is the link if anyone is interested.

That is an interesting idea... Although I don't know if I would want to carry the extra 2.5lbs deep into the backcountry even though it can have other purposes.