Short barreled suppressed long action - what caliber?!

ChevyKevy

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all - looking to build my second rifle and having a hard time deciding on caliber. This rifle will supplement my 16.5" shorty 308 which I love (picture below). Here is my criteria for this build, so I'm trying to decide which caliber to chamber in.

* will be ran suppressed 100% of the time
* I do not reload
* for hunting antelope, deer, elk, bear, moose (pretty much everything in the North America)
* long action only since I have a nice McMillan stock to use

Trying to keep the barrel length to 20-22" or so. I want this rifle to bridge the gap from my 16.5" 308 which I feel is a 300-400 yard max rifle. So this rifle is to take game up to, and past those distances to I'd say 750 yards'ish. This way I have 2 very usable rifles for different scenarios without too much overlap.

I'm looking at chambering in 30-06, 280AI, or 300wm. I've narrowed it down to these 3 for ease of finding ammo on the shelf (with 280AI being harder obviously, but I'm intrigued by the BC and know ammo manufacturers are now offering off the shelf loads for this).

What would you do? It will be put in a McMillan classic stock, R700/clone action, and Proof carbon barrel.

Thanks

g1.JPG

You can pretty well eliminate the 280 ackley of your list if you don’t handload as ammo is pretty well non-existent right now and I don’t see it coming back any time soon. I’d say the 7mm rem mag is going to give you the best performance with factory loads that’s what I’d go with if I wanted a long action.

I have a 20" 7mag that's is suppressed 100% of th time. I get about 2800fps. You can typically add about 100-150fps per inch added to the barrel. I do give up some performance for ease of carry. No regrets! I know my limits are 500 yards in field conditions. 7mag ammo is also starting to become available on the shelves too.

7prc should be announced tomorrow October 26th at the NASGW Expo Should be able to acquire ammunition because there won't be many rifles available. Similar to when the 6.8 western released there was tons of ammo because guns were scarce.

7prc according to the SAAMI spec sheet will shoot a 180gr @ 2950fps from 24" barrel. It is going to have full industry support just like the 6.5 and 300 counterparts.

I am going to spin up an 18" 7prc suppressed and shoot 162gr ELD-M bullets.

Here is a photo that Fierce posted on FB.
FB_IMG_1666730740958.jpg

OP
C

ChevyKevy

Lil-Rokslider
7prc should be announced tomorrow October 26th at the NASGW Expo Should be able to acquire ammunition because there won't be many rifles available. Similar to when the 6.8 western released there was tons of ammo because guns were scarce.

7prc according to the SAAMI spec sheet will shoot a 180gr @ 2950fps from 24" barrel. It is going to have full industry support just like the 6.5 and 300 counterparts.

I am going to spin up an 18" 7prc suppressed and shoot 162gr ELD-M bullets.

Here is a photo that Fierce posted on FB.
View attachment 467483

Interesting. I'm not sure I want to get into a 'guinea pig' caliber right off the bat. Finding 280AI ammo is hard enough - I can only imagine how this will be in the immediate future. Looks like a sweet caliber though!

It is definitely not going to be a guinea pig cartridge. The 6.5 and 300 prc are great cartridges. I have a 20" 300prc that is shooting 230gr Berger OTM around 2800fps.

Companies are already producing reamers, dies, and brass for the reloaders. Several rifles already built and being shot.

Once the initial run of factory ammo is sold then it'll be slim pickings like everything else right now.

OP
C

ChevyKevy

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 30-06 out right now getting shortened and threaded, 30-06 gets my vote.
What are you shortening to? Just curious what kind of velocities you are expecting?

I just got word from a buddy that can get me off the shelf 280AI ammo. Very tempting to just buy a whole case and build the 280AI...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What are you shortening to? Just curious what kind of velocities you are expecting?

I just got word from a buddy that can get me off the shelf 280AI ammo. Very tempting to just buy a whole case and build the 280AI...
Not sure what velocities I'm expecting, but I really doubt that I'll lose more than 100fps and that is pretty meaningless to me. I feel pretty confident I can get it into the mid 2700s with my handloads.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
That's a great looking rifle, well done! I just built a short 308 myself. When it comes to short barrels, the bigger the hole (caliber) and the less powder makes the best option, that's why the 308 works so well in a shorty. With your choices above, the 30-06 is the only option I'd consider. You can go with a mag or the PRC but I don't think you will get the most out of those cartridges with the shorter barrel. If you consider the expansion chamber begins at the bolt face and ends at the muzzle, the bigger hole and less powder allows for a more complete powder burn and better efficiencies.

My DIY pre-fit 308, yours looks great!

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
I run a suppressed 30/06 16” 215 bergers at 2400 with h4350 or 2500 rl17, and 3200 with 124 hammers. It would be a good candidate for factory ammo. Hits hard in a small package.

The 300 WSM is a short action cartridge, a good one, but not ideal for a long action.
Oops, I was just about to edit that.

I would like to suggest a larger capacity cartridge though. A short 280 would be 2 steps behind a traditional 7 mag that it may be worth compensating for the shorter barrel. A suppressor knocks off so much bite that it'll still be well behaved in a shorter barrel. I would suggest 7 mag or wait for the 7 PRC. That's coming from someone who loves efficient cartridges.

B23

WKR
Based on the OP's parameters and if I had to chose between these three "I'm looking at chambering in 30-06, 280AI, or 300wm" I'd have to pick the 300Winnie.

I'd give a serious look at the new 7 PRC because it very well could be one of those not to big, not to small, but just right "Goldilocks" cartridges.