Short Draw length elk setup.

Bump79

WKR
I have a 27.5" DL.

While I understand wanting hunting arrows going faster, I've learned it just isn't that important. I keep my hunting arrows around 420-430 grains and that usually yields around 260-270 fps. It is a setup that is plenty fine going through an elk ribcage but not one you want to hit a near side scapula with. I only take very low risk shots that are broadside or slightly quartering where both lungs are presented.

To get that fps I generally need a "speed" bow. IBO 340+, brace height 6". I prefer an axle to axle between 31"-33", much shorter and the bow seems a lot more critical to shoot to me. I'm currently using a Bowtech Solution in "performance" mode. 6" BH, 32" a to a, claimed 346 IBO. My current arrows are 425 grains and I get 265 fps at 65 lbs.

I generally use a 3 blade 1-1/8" fixed BH.
Great setup and discipline. More people should be as honest with themselves as you are and be disciplined with their shots.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a 27" draw also. Just picked up the 29.5" Mathews Lift. For reference, with 424 grain arrows I'm getting 283 FPS on the chrono.
That’s gotta be with 70lb mods which is still cooking.

I’m a 26 inch draw. Have had every short draw bow every made it seems like. I have tons of tuning and reviews on archeytalk from my compound days. My all time favorites are the bowtech equalizer and #1 cam Hoyt’s, nitrum turbo and nitrum 34, carbon element also cooked.

One of my current old set ups. 2007 bowtech equalizer. 33.25 ata, 7.25 brace,3.7lbs, 60lb limbs. 425 grain arrow at 258 fps. Currently in the process of building a 70lber since they never had the option from the factory, gunna be a screamer. Nothing to this day comes close to the performance of those old binary cams, I mean nothing for short draw guys. Plus they have over a 7 inch brace hieght, crazy forgiving and accurate.

70lb nitrum turbo #1 cam shot a 425 grain arrow at 275 fps average. Payed for it with the draw though, was stout to say the least. 5.5 brace so not very forgiving but extremely fast.

Find a draw length specific bow if you can. An equalizer would be screaming since they top out at 27 or 27.5 depending on the year.

OP
R

rhsmith3

FNG
Thanks for the information. I have been out of the archery game for a few years and am just trying to get my head wrapped around all of this. Trying to get a setup ready in the next month or two.

OP
R

rhsmith3

FNG
I do tend to favor longer ATA bows.

I have shot several different arrow setups all at or near 400ish grains, Haven’t loved any of them. I’m fact I have bounced around Broadhead as well.

I’m just trying to put a lot more thought into my equipment and not just the hunting side of things.

A lot to unpack here. Thanks guys!

nphunter

WKR
I do tend to favor longer ATA bows.

I have shot several different arrow setups all at or near 400ish grains, Haven’t loved any of them. I’m fact I have bounced around Broadhead as well.

I’m just trying to put a lot more thought into my equipment and not just the hunting side of things.

A lot to unpack here. Thanks guys!

It’s good to want to make sure your equipment is adequate. It’s also easy to over think it. My first bull is killed at 53yds with a 330gr CT Cheetah with a 3 blade shuttle T, from a 27” draw 60lb prime shift which had a 332IBO.

The arrow passed though him but didn’t exit, the broadhead didn’t hold an edge and looked like it was shot into a pile of gravel.

I killed a coupe more elk with 390-410gr arrows from a 77lb bow with 27.5” draw. I also switched to COC two blade heads. I lost couple bulls with that setup, 1 right in the shoulder and 1 over the spine that was like 5 yards and I shot hight because I didn’t know which pin to use.

The several few bulls I’ve killed have been with a 70lb bow, 490gr arrow and a large cut mechanical. I’ve had excellent results with them so far and I’ve also lost an elk with a shot directly in the shoulder.

This year I’m switching back to a 450gr arrow because with the exception on the shoulder shot I’ve been blowing though mature bulls out to 60 yard. I will be gaining a little trajectory going 450 but I’m also switching to a COC expandable.

The moral of the story is shot placement is key and if you hit one in the wrong place it doesn’t matter what you’re shooting. A poor placed shot in the shoulder and bull will walk off with your arrow and go about his day.

If you like your carbon bow I’d stay carbon. I’ve shot carbon since the Carbon Spyder and won’t go back. So far I like my new PSE much better than my RX4 I just sold and better than my old CST.

sndmn11

WKR
There's velocity tables for various DL and DW in these reviews for various IBO rated bows.

They should give you a fair idea of what velocity to expect based on like ratings.

I have a 27.5" DL.

While I understand wanting hunting arrows going faster, I've learned it just isn't that important. I keep my hunting arrows around 420-430 grains and that usually yields around 260-270 fps. It is a setup that is plenty fine going through an elk ribcage but not one you want to hit a near side scapula with. I only take very low risk shots that are broadside or slightly quartering where both lungs are presented.

To get that fps I generally need a "speed" bow. IBO 340+, brace height 6". I prefer an axle to axle between 31"-33", much shorter and the bow seems a lot more critical to shoot to me. I'm currently using a Bowtech Solution in "performance" mode. 6" BH, 32" a to a, claimed 346 IBO. My current arrows are 425 grains and I get 265 fps at 65 lbs.

I generally use a 3 blade 1-1/8" fixed BH.
I have a pretty similar setup as you. 27" DL, shooting an Elite Impulse 31, which another speed bow with 6" brace. I'm pulling 65#, and shooting 420 grain arrows at 265-270 fps. I have used both fixed blade VPAs and mechanical Grim Reapers on elk with this setup. All broadside shots between 20 and 40 yards. All dead bulls.

AkRyan

WKR
Go shoot all the bows under 30in ata and pick your favorite one. 27 isn't short btw your just a little under average.