Shot Distance for Idaho Panhandle

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Adult onset hunter. In the last 6 or 7 years of blundering ignorantly through the woods I've managed to kill 3 whitetail and zero elk.

Since discovering RS I'm soaking up knowledge and am planning to start fresh on my rifle system. From what I can see, every decision is based on what max range you will shoot.

Your cartridge and barrel length are chosen based on the BC and desired impact velocity of your projectile at your max range. Your optic is chosen with sufficient magnification and the correct reticle and/or turrets to allow you to hit at your max range. You train to be able to get into a steady enough shooting position and learn your ballistics and wind calls so that you can make ethical hits at your max range.

Every part of your system is designed with a max range in mind.

So, what should my max range be? I'm not asking you to tell me how far I can accurately shoot, I'm asking what distance I need to work to be proficient at, specific to North Idaho.

In other words if I go grab an iron sight 30-30 and limit myself to 175 yards, I'm going to cheat myself out of a lot of shot opportunities that I could have taken with a different system. On the other hand, being effective at 1400 yards probably doesn't gain me much over 1200 yards. Somewhere in there is that point of diminishing returns. So, what range would allow me to take advantage of the majority of shot opportunities I might find in North Idaho?

Calbuck

WKR
You should go to the range and figure out how accurately you can shoot out to different distances and make a decision based on the results. My self imposed limit is around 400 yards..that’s about as far as I feel comfortable shooting even though I know my gun could kill the animal much farther out. Learning to get closer to the animal you’re hunting would be more important than lobbing rounds from way out there in my opinion.

OP
C

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
You should go to the range and figure out how accurately you can shoot out to different distances and make a decision based on the results. My self imposed limit is around 400 yards..that’s about as far as I feel comfortable shooting even though I know my gun could kill the animal much farther out. Learning to get closer to the animal you’re hunting would be more important than lobbing rounds from way out there in my opinion.
Absolutely I won't attempt to shoot an animal further than my skill set allows. But shooting is a skill set that can be continually enhanced through practice. The rifle/cartridge/optic on the other hand cannot be enhanced through practice, it has to be purchased correctly the first time. So, what I'm trying to ask is, what should be my goal be for proficient shooting distance that will allow me to take advantage of real world shot opportunities in the Panhandle?

Is your reply a vote for 400?

Last edited:

williaada

WKR
Everybody is different, there is a shooting drill listed on this forum and then one for long range. As a hunter each person is different. As I have gotten older, my range has been extended from 250 to around 425-450 based on the type of shot.

I try to get close 500 rds of center fire and 1000 .22 down range each year.

Calbuck

WKR
I know there are a lot of folks who enjoy the long range shots and practice with their chosen rifle to be proficient at longer ranges..I think it’s just a matter of being realistic with yourself. Most of the popular calibers are capable out to a long way..it’s the guy behind the trigger that has to execute. For me and the ranges I’m comfortable shooting, I try to limit the variables as much as possible, and that animal at the other end is a big variable! The main thing (and you prob know) is being an ethical hunter and not wounding and losing animals.

Spend 10 times the amount of time, money and energy trying to figure out elk habitat and how elk use that habitat as you spend on gear, gadgets and shooting.

The advice above is great for N Idaho. This year, knock over 1000 shotgun shells offhand with a 22. Then become proficient with your hunting rifle offhand from 50 to 150.

180ls1

WKR
400 yards would have you well covered.

Knowing shot distances are close I would also consider a monolithic where you know you can take less than ideal shot angles and still kill effectively.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Above is good advice, become as proficient as you can. Specific to north Idaho ie the jungles I’ve shot bulls with rifle as close as 5 yds and as far as 575. Most were 75-250. North Idaho does not offer much on distance shots but it can and does happen. 2022 bull was 45 yds and never could see his body in the brush till he was 55 yds after bugling him for two hours. this years raghorn I let walk after bugling him for an hr stepped out at20 yds in the alders. Good luck

Last edited:

kad11

WKR
Adult onset hunter. In the last 6 or 7 years of blundering ignorantly through the woods I've managed to kill 3 whitetail and zero elk.

Since discovering RS I'm soaking up knowledge and am planning to start fresh on my rifle system. From what I can see, every decision is based on what max range you will shoot.

Your cartridge and barrel length are chosen based on the BC and desired impact velocity of your projectile at your max range. Your optic is chosen with sufficient magnification and the correct reticle and/or turrets to allow you to hit at your max range. You train to be able to get into a steady enough shooting position and learn your ballistics and wind calls so that you can make ethical hits at your max range.

So, what should my max range be? I'm not asking you to tell me how far I can accurately shoot, I'm asking what distance I need to work to be proficient at, specific to North Idaho.

In other words if I go grab an iron sight 30-30 and limit myself to 175 yards, I'm going to cheat myself out of a lot of shot opportunities that I could have taken with a different system. On the other hand, being effective at 1400 yards probably doesn't gain me much over 1200 yards. Somewhere in there is that point of diminishing returns. So, what range would allow me to take advantage of the majority of shot opportunities I might find in North Idaho?
I've only ever hunted Montana, but have killed most of my elk with a rifle, in thick timber, at well under 100 yds. I agree 100% with InkedElkSlayer, I'd imagine shot opportunities will be close range, off-hand, and will evaporate quickly.

Mature bulls in recovery mode after the rut are extremely smart. In my experience they put themselves in areas where you'll either have to execute a really long shot (600+ yds) or get really close - there's usually no in between.

OP
C

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Spend 10 times the amount of time, money and energy trying to figure out elk habitat and how elk use that habitat as you spend on gear, gadgets and shooting.
Believe me, I'm trying to learn everything I can about all facets of the hunt.

This year, knock over 1000 shotgun shells offhand with a 22.
Sounds like a Saturday...
But very good advice that I will heed!

Last edited:
OP
C

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I've only ever hunted Montana, but have killed most of my elk with a rifle, in thick timber, at well under 100 yds. I agree 100% with InkedElkSlayer, I'd imagine shot opportunities will be close range, off-hand, and will evaporate quickly.

Mature bulls in recovery mode after the rut are extremely smart. In my experience they put themselves in areas where you'll either have to execute a really long shot (600+ yds) or get really close - there's usually no in between.
Are the 600+ shots typically cross canyon to the opposite hillside? Or to the other side of a clear cut?

That is very specific to the area you hunt. The areas of the panhandle that I know, just west of Noxon Montana are super thick. You would be lucky to get a shot over 100 yards. I wouldn’t consider the panhandle in area to need anything long range so you have a wide range of choices. If you can see yourself moving to other areas in the future. You should keep that in mind. Also your own abilities. Will you ever be capable of or have the desire to shoot 1000 yards? If so, by the gun now. If not buy a timber rifle.

And while you are compiling all of that data in an organized manner don’t forget… your mental game AND your animal instincts are just as important as you’re gun if not more.

Sadler

WKR
Mine and my brother’s shots have ranged from 20-500 yards. The majority have been sub 100 yards or 400 plus. I’d say practice at 600 yards regularly because you may have a cross canyon clearcut opportunity and as you have learned, opportunities are hard to come by in the panhandle.

Marble

WKR

I look at choosing your weapon differently. But still somewhat considering the things you mentioned.

When you choose your caliber, you need to think about availability of ammo. If you reload it gives you many more options. Some people choose cartridges with limited ammo options, if any at all. So keep that in mind.

For beyond 400, maybe 500, you need to start thinking about BC and trajectory, as well as how much power that round has. This why the great majority of people choose heavy for caliber bullets in cartridges that are either in the magnum family or have ballistics like a magnum.

For your scope, which in general I spend more on my optics than I do on my firearm, I choose something reliable, with great glass and repeatable dialing. I do not want it complicated. My last several guns I've put nightforce scopes on them. A lot of guys won't get them because of price and/or weight. Neither of those things bother me.

Nearly all of the modern firearm manufacturers make several guns that will do what you want. And, there are many cartridges to choose from.

My max range, under ideal conditions with very little wind is probably 700 yards. I can hit an elk size vital area nearly every time. But with extreme angles, or a poor spot to shoot from, or if you are super cold or uncomfortable, tired etc, the max range will shrink.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
C

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Mine and my brother’s shots have ranged from 20-500 yards. The majority have been sub 100 yards or 400 plus. I’d say practice at 600 yards regularly because you may have a cross canyon clearcut opportunity and as you have learned, opportunities are hard to come by in the panhandle.
A good informative reply, thank you. What type of shot opportunities are you seeing at 400 plus? Like from one saddle to the next, or across a big clear cut?

Marble

WKR
A good informative reply, thank you. What type of shot opportunities are you seeing at 400 plus? Like from one saddle to the next, or across a big clear cut?
The shots I've had at longer distance have been from one side of a drainage to another, or shooting from top of a ridge down or vice versa.

I would say the great majority of them have been sub 300, with a bunch of then less than 100 in the timber.

I haven't ever messed up the longer shits, I've only really screwed up the short ones. Generally because I didn't take the time to make a good shot. Or a few times I hit a tree branch.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk