Shot Distance for Idaho Panhandle

Sadler

WKR
A good informative reply, thank you. What type of shot opportunities are you seeing at 400 plus? Like from one saddle to the next, or across a big clear cut?
A good mix of both. This year they were both across a big clear cut. The time before that was across a steep canyon with broken timber.

OP
C

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I have killed a fair amount of elk in the panhandle of idaho. If you are proficient out to 400 yards, you will be good to go.
Perfect, thank you.
Also, where's your favorite place for mountain biking around here? Canfield?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
You should go to the range and figure out how accurately you can shoot out to different distances and make a decision based on the results. My self imposed limit is around 400 yards..that’s about as far as I feel comfortable shooting even though I know my gun could kill the animal much farther out. Learning to get closer to the animal you’re hunting would be more important than lobbing rounds from way out there in my opinion.
400 is my self imposed limit also, though I did take an Elk at 460 on the last afternoon of the hunt.

Since I need to post enough to buy things in classifieds, here it goes... Most of the panhandle is quite thick, but if you look at maps and plan hunts for clearcuts, you might have some far shots. I've shot elk with rifles at 35 yards in the panhandle, and missed this year at 610 before connecting at 350. That said, I'd expect most of the time you'd be able to close the distance to <400 if you needed to. The ability to shoot 800-1000 COULD come in handy, but is not a necessity. If you're going to hunt north of I90... most of that is thick enough that an open sight 45-70 would take care of most of your needs! Most of the time if we can see far away, we spot from over a mile, and sneak to inside of 400 yards. I think the panhandle is better as an archery hunt because it is the right amount of thick to support a call-in to bow range.

Like others have said, much of the panhandle is thick! However that’s not to say that long opportunities don’t happen. The particular area I tend to frequent can have me with 10’ of visibility, to shots that can approach 1000 yds. I think the biggest thing is to have a self imposed limit that you will actually hold yourself to. When that bull steps out 100 yds further than you know you should shoot, it takes discipline to not “hope for the best” and let it fly.

Northern Idaho seems to be either sub 200 yard shots or 850 yard shots across a canyon to a clear cut.

repins05

WKR
Have not hunted in northern Idaho, but I do hunt the jungle here in nw Oregon. It can be a lot easier to get on an animal with a lower power scope if you are shooting close range In the woods/brush. That can come at a sacrifice because that can limit the max power of the scope.

on the flip side for long distance shooting I prefer a higher magnification around 20 +/- with turrets. when you start to get past 400 yards turrets become somewhat of a necessity. Also a rest can be as critical as the rifle and scope.

I choose to hunt long distance and hunt areas that are frequently 400 yard+ shots. when I pound the brush with my 5x25 scope I wish I had a 3x9 with no turrets and a shorter barrel.

Last edited: