Shot Show 2024 Mega Thread

I think at least part of it for them as a brand is creating a bombproof design at those reduced weights. They could reduced the wall thickness and do other weight compromises but if that resulted in those scopes developing a reputation for being unreliable, it's not worth it to them because their biggest brand selling point is reliability. Lighter weight scopes CAN be made reliable, like the Trijicon Tenmile for instance. But it's just a lot harder.
I have 2 3-18 tenmiles and love them but the walls are clearly very thin because when I tighten the rings down to 15 in lbs spec it makes the magnification right make a slight noise and you can feel a touch of drag from the compression. Happens on both with Talley and Hawkins rings.

Also the 44mm FFP version is not free lunch, I feel like the optical quality is much better in my 50mm SFP version.

Point is just that there are always compromises in weight vs reliability, performance, and features. We are at a point where if something gets lighter you know they had to compromise somewhere else.

Edited: ft lbs to in lbs lol. I don’t use a breaker bar on my scopes

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FYG

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
I was at SHOT on Thursday and saw @Ryan Avery at the stocky’s booth. I didn’t need much convincing on the Rokstok but after handling it and talking to him I think I’m sold.

I have 2 3-18 tenmiles and love them but the walls are clearly very thin because when I tighten the rings down to 15 in lbs spec it makes the magnification right make a slight noise and you can feel a touch of drag from the compression. Happens on both with Talley and Hawkins rings.

Also the 44mm FFP version is not free lunch, I feel like the optical quality is much better in my 50mm SFP version.

Point is just that there are always compromises in weight vs reliability, performance, and features. We are at a point where if something gets lighter you know they had to compromise somewhere else.

Edited: ft lbs to in lbs lol. I don’t use a breaker bar on my scopes
interesting i just picked up a 3x18 ffp. already have 2 4x24 sfp tenmiles and a 3x9 ffp swfa to compare. maybe will set them up at last light tonight to compare. will not be keeping all of them

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Did anybody notice the Chiappa Big Badger rifle? In one place it was listed as weighing 2.5 pounds but I suspect that might be a typo. In another place it is listed as 5.5 pounds. Looks like a fun concept. I always liked the idea of an ultralight single shot that could take down (or fold in half). Of course for most of us trimming weight off an AR15 and breaking it into two pieces for carry is probably a more practical idea.

wildcat33

WKR
Very interesting to see the social media fetishizing of tactical lever guns spill over to actual development of new products. The aero looks cool but until there is a better ammo option forget it. 45-70 is a joke (unless you have Bears, with capital B). 30-30? I don’t need to spend ammo prices to launch a marble at 2400fps

Who can we call at hornady to make a 6 creedmoor marlin express?

Very interesting to see the social media fetishizing of tactical lever guns spill over to actual development of new products. The aero looks cool but until there is a better ammo option forget it. 45-70 is a joke (unless you have Bears, with capital B). 30-30? I don’t need to spend ammo prices to launch a marble at 2400fps

Who can we call at hornady to make a 6 creedmoor marlin express?

Those are some strong opinions on 45-70 and 30-30. I think they are both great cartridges in lever gun form, tons of fun to shoot and load for.

wildcat33

WKR
Those are some strong opinions on 45-70 and 30-30. I think they are both great cartridges in lever gun form, tons of fun to shoot and load for.
Strong opinions about stuff that doesn’t matter is the beating heart of the internet. Just having some fun :)

I would like to see a 6cm marlin express though!

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Strong opinions about stuff that doesn’t matter is the beating heart of the internet. Just having some fun :)

I would like to see a 6cm marlin express though!
I haven't heard much if anything on this thread about the new Henry Supreme lever gun that has a hammerless enclosed action, takes AR mags, free floated barrel and comes threaded. .556 or 300 blackout for now but they say they'll add more.
If nothing else, I'm intrigued.

FYG

FNG

New NF Spotting Scope
I'm sure this will sell to the competition shooters, LE and Military. There's a lot to like in some of the design elements- If Swaro could jump on the integrated Arca plate so I don't have to worry about trying to tighten my plate down from time to time... and while they're at it, put out a FFP MIL/MOA eyepiece in their 25-50x, I'd be all over it, as I suspect many hunters would.

ljalberta

WKR
I'm sure this will sell to the competition shooters, LE and Military. There's a lot to like in some of the design elements- If Swaro could jump on the integrated Arca plate so I don't have to worry about trying to tighten my plate down from time to time... and while they're at it, put out a FFP MIL/MOA eyepiece in their 25-50x, I'd be all over it, as I suspect many hunters would.
Agreed. Also Swaro switched to integrated Arca feet already.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
This was legit awesome in person. Super clear, handy, and great form factor. Well built all around.