SHOT Show: Eberlestock & Mystery Ranch

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
The NICE frame itself is 21 inches. 21 inches is too short to get functional load lift for many people. Some MR bags utilize the NICE frame load lifter attachment points such as the Crew Cab so when using these bags or the NICE frame itself the height is 21 inches so no load lift. Some of the larger MR bags such as the 6500 have frame extenders (aluminum or fiberglass rods) in the bag and the load lifter attachment points are on the bag and not the NICE frame thus the 26 inches for the 6500.

Most of the hunting packs from Kifaru have 24 or 26 inch frames/stays and the load lifter attachment point is from the top of the frame/stays.

Hope this helps.

Hey everyone,

I rolled around with the Metcalf all last hunting season. MR took it to the next level with this pack!

Light weight and increased frame height have been resonating across the hunting pack market for some time now. The greater team at Mystery Ranch set out to address both issues with the NICE Metcalf. First, MR added a frame extension which gives you 3” of additional height beyond the top of the NICE Frame. Two carbon fiber rods integrate with the existing structure of the NICE Frame to give extra lift off the shoulder pads. The frame extension is super noticeable when you’re carrying big loads - makes 80+ pound loads ride really well. I’m 6’0 and hunted with others who were a few inches taller and shorter than me. Everyone was stoked with the frame extension and how it enhanced comfort and carry.

As far as the bag design goes, MR geared this pack towards weight conscious minimalistic backcountry hunters. It has 10 sets of compression straps (2 on every side) which lends itself really well to different strapping configurations and synching down loads. The bag itself is quite simple with a top loading shroud and full length side access zipper. There are two internal pockets (1 water bottle sleeve and 1 L shaped zippered pocket). You can separate the bag from the frame to drop a meat bag or extra gear into.

The NICE Metcalf comes in at 5lb-12oz to 6lb-15oz(with Day Pack Lid)
Volume: 3600 - 4500 cu in (with Day Pack Lid)

I’ve got quite a bit of experience with this pack. Everything from packing two elk out, to sheep meat and camera gear in the NWT. Hit me up if you have questions! MR will release it on their website here in the next week or so.

Cheers,

-DrakeScreen Shot 2013-01-22 at 10.10.35 AM.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks for the rundown on themetcalf mr drake. it looks like a greatpack from what i saw at SHOT, wish MR would offer another style lid than their cuurent daypack lid. something in the 800-1000 cu in range without built in shoulder straps would be ideal...

I’ve rarely found myself in a position where I needed the lid by itself as I hate to take my pack off. I cut out the day pack lid’s shoulder straps and pulled out the piece of foam. Probably reduces the lids weight by ~5 oz.

c h r i s

FNG
I have the blue widow and have been kicking around improvements to the lifters. Look forward to what you come up with.

Sorry, first post. Meant to quote Outdoorsman3830's post:

Adding 2 inches to the 21 inch frame height only makes it 23 inches in length total. Thats what you will get out of an Eberlestock Blue Widow. I'd say you should seriously consider a kifaru frame for Torso Lengths of 19 inches or more when handling heavy loads. That 23 inch frame length is fine for moderate loads, but lacks the necessary lift for packing camp and meat out of the backcountry. The Mystery Ranch design is great, but they need to make a longer extension.

Right now I'm working a simple extension for my Eberlestock Skycrane II to push it up to 26 inches instead of the 23 to 24 inches. It should be simple enough for anyone to make, without making any alterations to the pack. It would be simple switch of stays and velcro attachment. If it works as I believe it will, I will post a video on how I made it. Also, the extension will work for any of the J-Series style packs that utilize the aluminum stays. Making an extension for the NICE frame is little more complicated, but I have seen people make them.

Last edited:

Greenhorn

FNG
I used a couple early revisions of the Metcalf last summer and fall, I used it for 40+ days and carted a lot of meat out of the hills with it. I'm 6' tall, and can't speak for anybody else's size, but the frame extensions (when I used the version that had that) really made it nice to carry. I think the side zip is great design, as is the simplicity overall.

think this would make sense to replace my longbow for a daypack? or too big - more of an overnight bag? Sometimes I feel like the longbow's a little big for a daypack, but if this is lighter maybe it would be better

I have had my Blue Widow for 2 years now and have carried 100 pounds in it a couple of times and thought it was one of the most comfortable packs i have ever had.Granted thats not sayin much because i have never had a really good hunting pack but im satisfied with my Eberliestock. I guess ignorance is bliss LOL.
Steve