Should I insulate my garage?

Takem

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. .I priced it out and I would only save about $100 DIY. I agree attic is the most important. Builder did a great job on the wall insulation, even insulated the rv walls above the ceiling of the two car section. cant really partition off the work out area because of the layout.
You guys are telling me what I wanted to hear, time to insulate!
Good decision. If you decide on HVAC down the road I'd go with a Fujitsu ductless mini-split. Simple install and you'll get heating and cooling.

Drew10

FNG
I have a house built in 2017. 2300 sq feet and very well insulated. It has a 1350 sq foot garage with an rv bay. The garage walls are insulated, but I was surprised to find out the attic is not. My wife works out in the garage and in the winter it is in the low forties with an outside temp in the teens and in the summer it will get close to 100 . I installed an inferred heater over her workout area which has helped quite a bit. I looked into an hvac system and it is more than we want to spend. Do any of you think that insulating the attic at a cost of about $1200 would help to maintain a more comfortable temp year around?
Thanks for any opinions.
I would for sure

Razz

FNG
Nestled between the Tetons & the Big Holes
Ours is attached, 3 plus car size w 12’ ceilings. Insulated walls and attic space above. Ceiling mounted heater and as noted in an earlier post, run the heater for a bit and stays warm for quite some time. Never overly hot in summer.

Maki35

WKR
Your walls are already done and you have an insulated garage door. I would also agree with insulating the attic.

MNElk33

FNG
Definitely do the ceiling - that’s where you are losing your heat. When you look at the R ratings for insulation code you will see quite a difference in the ceiling vs wall requirements. That will tell you all you need to know with regards to where you are losing your heat. Good luck with the project.

Zim

FNG
I finished my 24’ x 24’ garage last year. Insulated the walls with R-15 but postponed the ceiling because we have a mature oak & maple tree line on the South side of our lot, which actually overhangs some of the garage, and totally shades it all summer. It is well ventilated. I am still debating insulating the ceiling, because in the winter when the leaves are gone, we get some sun on there which I think warms the garage. It never gets roasting hot in there all summer. I keep all my taxidermy mounts on the South wall. They are doing fine so far.

View attachment 243629

View attachment 243630

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: