Should you check headspace re-installing a known barrel?

Macintosh

WKR
2 factory tikka barrels (shouldered), one came installed from the factory, the other was installed and checked with go/no-go gauges. If re-installing the original barrel, how important is it to check headspace? On one hand it’s known to a high degree…on the other hand, a small burr or something between barrel and action could create a gap that wasnt there before. Assuming youre careful about cleaning beforehand, what do you do?

Gorp2007

WKR
I check, but that’s because I’ve got the gauges already so it only takes a second.

If you don’t have the gauges you could always use the old standby of using a factory cartridge for a go gauge and add some tape for a no-go.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
I have gauges for the new barrel, just not the original factory caliber. Wondering whether I “should” get gauges for the original. Yep, could go the brass/tape route and I do have brass fired from that rifle.
Interested in hearing from others as well esp anyone with any actual training in this stuff what they do.

Kimmo H

FNG
I have swapped between barrels on the same Tikka action several times. Other being the factory 308, and the other a Shilen 6,5x55. I always check the headspace with gauges, and every time it is within spec. I've done this so many times now that I wouldn't worry about it too much if I didn't have the gauges on hand. Clean everything, put some grease on the threads and action face and tighten it up. Check a fired casing with a shoulder measurement device, compare that to a non fired factory round if you want to be sure where your headspace is at and shoot away :)

Also the go / no-go gauges difference in length is huge by machinists standards. Even if there is a minute difference caused by torque etc., when changing checked barrels, it will most likely still fall within that 0,15mm or so that the gauges differ from each other.