Shoulder Dislocation/Bankart Repair

Antares

WKR
Who here has had shoulder surgery to address joint instability?

After multiple dislocations, I'm scheduled for a Bankart repair to my dominant shoulder.

Anyone had a Bankart repair? What was recovery like? How was your range of motion affected? Did it resolve your dislocation issues?

I have a mountain goat hunt tentatively planned 4-6 weeks post op. I'm guessing that's a bad idea, but "bad idea" is pretty much my middle name.

Thanks for any insight!

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
I had my dominant shoulder labrum repaired twice between age 16 and 19 (football). Goat hunt 4-6 weeks after is a no-go. You’d really be risking it. You’re still going to be pretty fragile and weak at that point, limited range of motion, etc. Unless you could get a doctor to give you PEDs to speed up recovery, I would seriously consider giving yourself more time one way or another. After the second one, I think it was 4 months post-surgery before I was cleared to really lift weights and that was with rehab everyday with the college trainers.

Edit to add: the second surgery was more than a Bankart - I had the bone graft with permanent screws, etc. but the recovery was the same as the first. It’s a slow process.

Last edited:

Bachto

WKR
I have had this surgery twice…didn’t help. I have to have another surgery at some point where they graft a bone to my socket. I was also 17 and 21 when I had both surgery’s and being a little reckless (I skied and wakeboarded along with an other things) might have had something to do with it not being effective.

Your goat hunt is not going to happen if it’s 4 to 6 after your surgery. You have a 3 month minimum recovery. My range of motion is about 10 degrees less especially overhead.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
Appreciate both of those responses.

I know the spring goat hunt is out... I just needed to hear someone else say it. It's not that big a deal. I'm fortunate that I can goat hunt 8 months a year, every year.

I like the timing for this repair because hopefully I'll be back to full strength by mid summer/fall and the main hunting seasons.

I'm undecided on whether I need the repair at all. I've had 6 dislocations in that shoulder, but it was 12 year between #5 and #6. My MRI does show a torn labrum, but in general I have no pain. I do have fairly frequent subluxation (slippage) in the joint. Ideally the repair would put a stop to the subluxation and dislocations, but I'm not wild about the recovery time. Seems like the main benefits at this point is just insurance against future dislocations. Which is attractive considering how much time I spend without ready access to medical facilities. I've had my should out in the field several times. I've reduced it myself several times, and talked others through reducing it for me several times... I've sort of had my fill of that.

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely get the surgery. Totally worth it but plan accordingly - my two cents. They generally heal up nice. I lift heavy with no limitations and can throw things almost as good as I could before the initial damage. You’d be feeling pretty much back to full strength in 6-7 months if you were diligent about rehab, that isn’t very long in the grand scheme of things.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate both of those responses.

I know the spring goat hunt is out... I just needed to hear someone else say it. It's not that big a deal. I'm fortunate that I can goat hunt 8 months a year, every year.

I like the timing for this repair because hopefully I'll be back to full strength by mid summer/fall and the main hunting seasons.

I'm undecided on whether I need the repair at all. I've had 6 dislocations in that shoulder, but it was 12 year between #5 and #6. My MRI does show a torn labrum, but in general I have no pain. I do have fairly frequent subluxation (slippage) in the joint. Ideally the repair would put a stop to the subluxation and dislocations, but I'm not wild about the recovery time. Seems like the main benefits at this point is just insurance against future dislocations. Which is attractive considering how much time I spend without ready access to medical facilities. I've had my should out in the field several times. I've reduced it myself several times, and talked others through reducing it for me several times... I've sort of had my fill of that.

If you're just getting subluxations for the most part and not a ton of pain if it were me I'd likely pass on surgery, but only you know the extent of the subluxations. A little slippage is fine, but feeling unstable and it's about to pop out is a different animal.

I'm a PT, I treat a ton of these and I also had several (only 3, not the 6 you've had and none in 15 years) dislocations with MRI confirmed labral tear and I opted to not have surgery. I still get slippage occasionally with some soreness, but if I stay up to date with strength training it's usually not noticeable. I still can play bar-league softball and can play catch with my kids without discomfort or instability, but no 2 labral tears are the same.

If you get it done you can forget about your goat hunt. Most surgeons will have you in a sling for 6 weeks, with starting some active assist range of motion around week 4-6 and strengthening begins at week 8. I've released guys to full contact as early as 10 weeks out if everything goes perfect, but generally that 16 week timeframe is safe for most of my stronger athletes. Overhead athletes realistically it's minimum 6 months before throwing and closer to a full year before return to sport.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
If you're just getting subluxations for the most part and not a ton of pain if it were me I'd likely pass on surgery, but only you know the extent of the subluxations. A little slippage is fine, but feeling unstable and it's about to pop out is a different animal.

I'm a PT, I treat a ton of these and I also had several (only 3, not the 6 you've had and none in 15 years) dislocations with MRI confirmed labral tear and I opted to not have surgery. I still get slippage occasionally with some soreness, but if I stay up to date with strength training it's usually not noticeable. I still can play bar-league softball and can play catch with my kids without discomfort or instability, but no 2 labral tears are the same.

If you get it done you can forget about your goat hunt. Most surgeons will have you in a sling for 6 weeks, with starting some active assist range of motion around week 4-6 and strengthening begins at week 8. I've released guys to full contact as early as 10 weeks out if everything goes perfect, but generally that 16 week timeframe is safe for most of my stronger athletes. Overhead athletes realistically it's minimum 6 months before throwing and closer to a full year before return to sport.

Thanks for all that. Really appreciate the insight. It would be nice to get back into overhead sports. I had to give up badminton, which I loved.

I'm really conflicted. I'd like the shoulder to be more stable and I'd like to move past the nagging fear of a dislocation at an inopportune time. On the other hand, I don't want to have an unnecessary surgery and the associated recovery.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all that. Really appreciate the insight. It would be nice to get back into overhead sports. I had to give up badminton, which I loved.

I'm really conflicted. I'd like the shoulder to be more stable and I'd like to move past the nagging fear of a dislocation at an inopportune time. On the other hand, I don't want to have an unnecessary surgery and the associated recovery.

Another thing to keep in mind that the surgery isn't 100% either. With you no longer playing football etc the risk of another dislocation is considerably lower after the surgery, but just off the top of my head I can think of 3 different football/wrestlers who had it done and ended up having it done again after re-dislocating the following season. But their risk profile is obviously much higher than someone who isn't playing a contact sport.

Just hearing you talk a bit more, I would lean towards surgery, but I don't know if there is a "right" answer, just different ones. Timing wise, I'd likely hold off until fall hunting seasons are over and get it done then and you'll more than likely be ready to go going into spring and not have to miss anything (no spring bowhunts, but you could make rifle work). You're not risking any injury by waiting to have it done. Torn is torn, it's not going to get any worse likely even if it dislocates again, especially considering the number of times you've already done it.

I'm sure you already know how to self-reduce it back in, but I can show you a couple different options that can work in a pinch if one doesn't get it back.

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
The recovery sucks!
Pretty painful, definitely no go on the goat hunt as everyone else says
For whatever reason my surgeon said don’t do pt
So I didn’t and it really messed up my range of motion
But his reasoning was he’s tightening it up real tight and it’ll stretch out over time. Ended up not having good range of motion and did 3-5 pt treatments and have full range of motion. However there is a squeaky/ creeping feeling I get but no
Dislocations at all and all around feels good. The feeling I get doesn’t hurt it’s just irritating. I dislocated mine in 2014 and got surgery in 2001 after it got really sloppy and unstable
Good luck and take the recovery east don’t
Want to ruin the surgery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
Another thing to keep in mind that the surgery isn't 100% either. With you no longer playing football etc the risk of another dislocation is considerably lower after the surgery, but just off the top of my head I can think of 3 different football/wrestlers who had it done and ended up having it done again after re-dislocating the following season. But their risk profile is obviously much higher than someone who isn't playing a contact sport.

Just hearing you talk a bit more, I would lean towards surgery, but I don't know if there is a "right" answer, just different ones. Timing wise, I'd likely hold off until fall hunting seasons are over and get it done then and you'll more than likely be ready to go going into spring and not have to miss anything (no spring bowhunts, but you could make rifle work). You're not risking any injury by waiting to have it done. Torn is torn, it's not going to get any worse likely even if it dislocates again, especially considering the number of times you've already done it.

I'm sure you already know how to self-reduce it back in, but I can show you a couple different options that can work in a pinch if one doesn't get it back.

Thanks for all that. Especially the offer of self-reduction techniques.

I'm leaning towards doing it. I'm already scheduled for mid-Feb. The more I think about it, the more I realize how problematic (painful and unstable) the joint is; I have just gotten used to it over the last 20 years, so I've sort of normalized it.

I've been prescribed a compression/icing device called "game ready." Any tips for maximizing the effectiveness of something like that? Thanks again.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all that. Especially the offer of self-reduction techniques.

I'm leaning towards doing it. I'm already scheduled for mid-Feb. The more I think about it, the more I realize how problematic (painful and unstable) the joint is; I have just gotten used to it over the last 20 years, so I've sort of normalized it.

I've been prescribed a compression/icing device called "game ready." Any tips for maximizing the effectiveness of something like that? Thanks again.

Game-Ready's are great, I'm assuming you're renting one. 4-5x/day at 20 minutes a pop after surgery, start with min compression and go up to mod at some point (no need for high). It works well if you save some old yogurt or cool whip containers and freeze several blocks of ice. It's easier than trying to load the stupid thing up with cubes all the time (It'll make sense when you have it in hand, just trust me).

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
Yes, renting one. I have lots of freezers and a commercial ice machine, so we'll get that bad boy loaded up!

I am not looking forward to wrangling my 3 GSPs (including a 16 mo old rescue) with one arm. That'll be a circus.

Bmhunts

FNG
I had an open bankart repair with three permanent pins back in 2007. It’s still holding strong and I haven’t taken it easy on it by any means. Since that time I’ve had 3 other orthopedic surgeries and with the exception of one knee scope that labrum repair was the easiest to recover from, but I was also young when I got it done, mid 20’s. I was 100% within six months of surgery. Wish I’d have done it sooner.

As far as range of motion it increased reaching behind my back with that arm but decreased raising my arm over my head palm forward. The shift in range of motion really only affects things like overhead squats.

The game ready machine is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fire_9

WKR
I had a torn labrum repaired in 2005 and didn't dislocate it again for another 10 years. If it were me, I'd live with it until after the goat hunt. Get it in while you can.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
I had a torn labrum repaired in 2005 and didn't dislocate it again for another 10 years. If it were me, I'd live with it until after the goat hunt. Get it in while you can.

Fortunately, I can OTC goat hunt every year. If it were a limited draw or OIL, I’d agree with you. I’m hoping to keep my body in condition to goat hunt for another 20-25 years. So I sort of want to get this resolved sooner than later.

Nevwild

FNG
Classified Approved
I had six dislocations in my left shoulder before I had this same surgery. It was painful, and the recovery was difficult. I did intense physical therapy, which took a lot of work and focused effort to get back to 100%. With that said, I’m incredibly happy that I went through this surgery and recovery. I’m completely confident in the stability of my shoulder, and have returned 100% to whitewater kayaking, and all other sports. Get the surgery, focus on your rest and nutrition, and then go hard at physical therapy. You will likely end up in a better place. Best of luck.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
I had six dislocations in my left shoulder before I had this same surgery. It was painful, and the recovery was difficult. I did intense physical therapy, which took a lot of work and focused effort to get back to 100%. With that said, I’m incredibly happy that I went through this surgery and recovery. I’m completely confident in the stability of my shoulder, and have returned 100% to whitewater kayaking, and all other sports. Get the surgery, focus on your rest and nutrition, and then go hard at physical therapy. You will likely end up in a better place. Best of luck.

Thanks you very much. I appreciate the insight. That's helpful.

Jbogg

FNG
I had my dislocation repair done while playing ball in college. I’m guessing the medical technology has improved a lot since 1982, but back then it was a 6 inch scar, with a five or six day hospital stay.

Prior to surgery It would usually go back into place on its own, but over time it would come out if I put my arm over my head, while laying on my back in bed. I’ve now got good range of motion over my head, but lost a ton of range of motion when it comes to rotating my forearm out from my side.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
I had my dislocation repair done while playing ball in college. I’m guessing the medical technology has improved a lot since 1982, but back then it was a 6 inch scar, with a five or six day hospital stay.

Prior to surgery It would usually go back into place on its own, but over time it would come out if I put my arm over my head, while laying on my back in bed. I’ve now got good range of motion over my head, but lost a ton of range of motion when it comes to rotating my forearm out from my side.

Dang! Five or six days! That sounds pretty invasive. Mine will be arthroscopic and I'll be released the same day, so yes, sounds like an improvement over your procedure.

I'm hoping with intensive PT I can end up in a better place than I am now, without too much additional range of motion loss (I already have some).

Fire_9

WKR
Fortunately, I can OTC goat hunt every year. If it were a limited draw or OIL, I’d agree with you. I’m hoping to keep my body in condition to goat hunt for another 20-25 years. So I sort of want to get this resolved sooner than later.

I missed that you live in AK so that totally makes sense. A buddy of mine had the same surgery as I did but they filleted him open instead of an arthroscopic surgery. We were the same age and real similar physical condition and my recovery was much faster.