Shoulder Mount vs Wall Pedestal Mount

I currently have a dall shoulder mount with a right turn, and had envisioned getting my stone shoulder mounted with a left turn, so they would mirror each other. But the more I look at forms, I'm thinking the wall-pedestal might show off more of the dark coat than a regular shoulder-mount would. Am I wrong about that? Also, on the wall-pedestal, is that back side completely against the wall or can you see around behind it at all from the left side? Does it sit on a rod so it can rotate or does is hang like a shoulder mount and not move?

I've never seen a wall-pedestal mount in person, and certainly not right next to a shoulder mount of the same species for a direct comparison. I have to make a decision by early next week, so appreciate any advice

forms.jpg

Last edited:

cbarg14

FNG
Big fan of the wall pedestal mount. Shows off the animal a lot better and just gives the mount more overall depth. The back is not flush against the wall and can either be wrapped with extra cape or covered in leather. Personal preference there. Mine is covered with the cape. You can always add rocks or brush around the base but I prefer the cleaner look without.
35307416a3bbcd3ed9241d3a0c5accb2.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Maddog58

FNG
Having my desert sheep from this year done in a wall pedestal with habitat on it. Showed the taxidermist pics of my wall and he showed me exactly what should be done to make my ram look perfect. I went with what he said because he’s the expert

Jimss

WKR
If going on the wall I would definitely do the wall pedestal. You may also consider changing things up a little and doing a table pedestal. You could also put it on a table or taller pedestal in front of your dall.

TXCO

WKR
I did my dall with a wall pedestal and love it. Its a fixed position/hanging. I like mixing in a couple wall pedestals to break up normal shoulder mounts as well.

OP
Doc Holliday
I did a full mount on dall sheep because nobody I know has ever seen one and body proportions compared to a whitetail from the Midwest. I walk around it and enjoy it often. I don't regret it...not once
Can you share a pic?

OP
Doc Holliday
Big fan of the wall pedestal mount. Shows off the animal a lot better and just gives the mount more overall depth. The back is not flush against the wall and can either be wrapped with extra cape or covered in leather. Personal preference there. Mine is covered with the cape. You can always add rocks or brush around the base but I prefer the cleaner look without.
35307416a3bbcd3ed9241d3a0c5accb2.jpg

I really like this position alot and am likely going to share this with the taxi unless I see something better. It seems many pedestals even if its a left or right turn, end up orienting the head pointing straight out because the back side of the pedestal is angled into the wall so sharply. Your pose is still looking slightly to the left, and the base is not so flat against the wall. I also like the idea of using cape on the back of the scallop, and no habitat to distract/take away from the animal. Would you mind PMing me (unless you want to post here) a pic where you move 5-10 ft to your right?

cbarg14

FNG
I really like this position alot and am likely going to share this with the taxi unless I see something better. It seems many pedestals even if its a left or right turn, end up orienting the head pointing straight out because the back side of the pedestal is angled into the wall so sharply. Your pose is still looking slightly to the left, and the base is not so flat against the wall. I also like the idea of using cape on the back of the scallop, and no habitat to distract/take away from the animal. Would you mind PMing me (unless you want to post here) a pic where you move 5-10 ft to your right?
Here are some various angle pics. Let me if you need any other info!
52a5bcc95cefdf68fbac215b7c87dd18.jpg
31d659dd19529e3a0b029e77d49e1324.jpg
fa1b5f6b2e17adeb843562c13e9b0533.jpg