SHTF semi live elk hunt

Pullin' for ya, brother. Enjoy every minute. I'm scrambling in preparation for my departure, hoping it comes together for you.

jljmonky

FNG
More than 24 hours with no update? I'm jonesing for an update and some pictures...

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Im heading out with Husky tonight after hes off work. I ended up rearranging again on the site I had picked because no one was going out there with me and no cell service. As much as I wanted to hit the area the wife just wasnt comfortable about not having contact with me while out solo hunting. We are staying out till Sunday morning. Sorry I got side tracked on the updates. Im not sure if the area we are heading has cell reception but if it does I will be updating the post. Sorry about that fellas. This is a new area to me but Husky has put down a cow elk during 1st rifle season.

eltaco

WKR
Bulls were freaking out last night and this morning... obviously unaware that they had to wait until mid Sept. We shot and recovered a beautiful 5x5 last night, and I just arrowed a 6x6 this morning, but my arrow hit back further than I'd like. Giving it 8hrs and lots of prayers for a good recovery this afternoon. Things are intense in CO right now!

My chances of success increase 10x when they are bugling, so stoked they decided to fire up!

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Awesome Eltaco. Cant wait to see the Photos. Sounds like they are starting to come alive now with the Rut. I am praying we get into some of that this weekend. I really want to be in the middle of them during full rut. what a blast.

Good luck out there. Keep the posts comin I'm enjoying this little warm up! 19 days and counting till I'm hereing bugles!

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bulls were freaking out last night and this morning... obviously unaware that they had to wait until mid Sept. We shot and recovered a beautiful 5x5 last night, and I just arrowed a 6x6 this morning, but my arrow hit back further than I'd like. Giving it 8hrs and lots of prayers for a good recovery this afternoon. Things are intense in CO right now!

My chances of success increase 10x when they are bugling, so stoked they decided to fire up!

You have any luck finding him??

Randy

Shrek

WKR
Bulls on dope , that would be funny. Totally not interested in the ladies but out in every meadow face down mowing the grass to dirt ! Then jeking their heads up and running really slow out of the meadow. Paranoid panic attack passes and right back out stuffing their face . Another big bull shows up and it's all quiet. Bulls mumbling to themselves about how their going to kick the others arse but no motivation to do anything but chow down. Cows all wandering around bitching about wishing they could find a real bull .

dotman

WKR
Bulls on dope , that would be funny. Totally not interested in the ladies but out in every meadow face down mowing the grass to dirt ! Then jeking their heads up and running really slow out of the meadow. Paranoid panic attack passes and right back out stuffing their face . Another big bull shows up and it's all quiet. Bulls mumbling to themselves about how their going to kick the others arse but no motivation to do anything but chow down. Cows all wandering around bitching about wishing they could find a real bull .

You forgot about the bulls talking about the great things they are gonna do as soon as they get motivated.

eltaco

WKR
You have any luck finding him??

Randy
Randy, I actually did not :( tracked him over a mile and he started dropping blood clots. Never did bed down. Super upset over it... really was my dream bull and I blew it. My goal this year was to call in a 6x6 herd bull and he met every hope that I had set for this hunt.

Both bulls were screaming bulges at us, both to cow calls and challenge bugles in response to our bugles. They were both extremely aggressive, definitely doing all they could to display dominance. The 6x6 came into a perfect scenario, as we worked our way into a herd of cows before giving our first bugle, and he instantly replied with a challenge bugle. Having a herd of live elk around us helped substantially to sell our story, but it also kept him out of reach during most of the scenario as he swooped up the herd of cows.

Very intense couple of days. The first portion of the week was slow, but as I previously said, the switch flipped in that particular area on Thursday. We went from not hearing a sound to having multiple bulls screaming all around us.

Randy, I actually did not :( tracked him over a mile and he started dropping blood clots. Never did bed down. Super upset over it... really was my dream bull and I blew it. My goal this year was to call in a 6x6 herd bull and he met every hope that I had set for this hunt.

Both bulls were screaming bulges at us, both to cow calls and challenge bugles in response to our bugles. They were both extremely aggressive, definitely doing all they could to display dominance. The 6x6 came into a perfect scenario, as we worked our way into a herd of cows before giving our first bugle, and he instantly replied with a challenge bugle. Having a herd of live elk around us helped substantially to sell our story, but it also kept him out of reach during most of the scenario as he swooped up the herd of cows.

Very intense couple of days. The first portion of the week was slow, but as I previously said, the switch flipped in that particular area on Thursday. We went from not hearing a sound to having multiple bulls screaming all around us.

I lost a bull too man. So tough on a guy, but nothing goes to waste in the woods. Always amazes me how tough elk can be.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Me and husky struck out this weekend definitely wasn't for lack of effort we put in some time all over the area we played he'll finding the signs at the end of the weekend now so back to work. I plan to go at the end of the month hoping they will be rutting by then.